Do you mark your sanctuary boundaries?

Grayson Everett

We just completed some larger acres of Spruce plantings last spring that are coming along nicely, some WSG fields that will be up and going this or the next, and tied them all into our existed logged woods that has filled in very nicely with thick growth.

These all flow together and plan on being a sanctuary/no go area for our hunters. Our neighbors are all very respectful with boundaries, so I'm not worried about posting for the "human element" .

Curious if you guys post your sanctuaries for the DEER ? I.E post them with a strand of wire, or hanging flags, etc. Something to let them know where the boundary of the "safe zone" is ??

I've read that study from back in the day on the red stag and the Berlin wall, and it all makes sense. As well as doing a little elk hunting in the past on public ground, and watching those elk step about 1 foot over the fence onto private ranches an hour after the bow opener makes me think it might be a valuable tool to have.

Do you do anything? Any merit to this?? Is it worth doing on smaller properties ?

We (humans) tend to complicate things. Man has been hunting since forever. Started with sticks n stones

Is it fun to change and adapt with the new tools ? Absolutely yes.

Do i want a 200" buck on the wall ? Heck Ya! In the end hunting is for the meat on the table.

Will the deer the know that its a safe zone, flagged by a colored tape? I doubt it. When hunting pressure increases they just go to the most secluded area.

Good luck this coming season

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Belo said:

I think there would be a benefit if you have a large parcel and hunting group. Otherwise deer adapt with their nose, not so much their eyes.

Sight is one of the defense mechanisms for whitetails. At times it can be the primary defense mechanism - such as open terrain, high wind situations that force them into open fields or low open pockets, and even in bedding, using sight to see what they cannot smell.

I don't proclaim to know whether deer would learn markers but they seem to learn where a low spot in a fence is and will walk a long ways to get to that low spot to cross. I think that is sight based adaption IMO. If you create a low spot, they will find it and start using it.

Edited by phade

• 3 weeks later...