Podcasts

phade

1 hour ago, phade said:

He's left handed and his Weatherby branded Vanguards don't even come in a left handed model. That, while small, is part of where I think the authentic part comes off weird sometimes. He makes it a point to be authentic but brands something that isn't available in his shooting style. I get people brand things and pump them, but might not use said product....but in his case, he pitches authenticity yet does what those who pump brands do. 

My interpretation isn't on the whitetail side of things, it's just that it comes off as not authentic. Like I said, I'm probably myopic in view here, but it just comes off wonky. Pair that with Kenyon's quality going downhill when Rinella bought him out...and it's just more convincing for me.

I've never been a big Kenyon fan, but his ability to find and secure land is impressive and the last couple years he did it with a newborn. The western hunters (Rinella and Cal) bust his balls on his scent control and stuff, but I love how he holds his ground. The meateater crew do not hunt in treestands and there is a disconnect there.

I wonder if part of the whole thing is similar to the underground band/artist who makes it. Very few have been able to maintain their roots/authenticity after they make it big. I see it most in rappers where their hunger fades. Athletes too. 

The term sellout is there for a reason. I don't know how a guy like Rinella could do it while growing his brand... that shits hard. I didn't know about the gun, that's a weird offering for sure. I do know he raffled off his old kimber and they have raised a lot of money for conservation. I think that's a start.

I'd probably have never eaten squirrel or blue gill if it wasn't for these guys and I now love them both.

1 hour ago, left field said:

I don't disagree but I think there's a difference between media professionals and random people when it comes to making off-the-cuff conversation fascinating. I found it tough to listen to at times.

yeah there are some snoozer moments. They release an episode each week, typically an hour or 2 long. That's a lot of air to fill. The last year has been tough too and you can see the decline in quality as they try to do stuff over zoom.

Some of my favorite episodes were in the field, even if the audio was degraded. Guys sitting in a tent as it rained, talking about their hunt and their plans for the next day is pretty cool. There's a 2 part about the bear attack that is a must listen.

4 hours ago, Belo said:

I've never been a big Kenyon fan, but his ability to find and secure land is impressive and the last couple years he did it with a newborn. The western hunters (Rinella and Cal) bust his balls on his scent control and stuff, but I love how he holds his ground. The meateater crew do not hunt in treestands and there is a disconnect there.

I wonder if part of the whole thing is similar to the underground band/artist who makes it. Very few have been able to maintain their roots/authenticity after they make it big. I see it most in rappers where their hunger fades. Athletes too. 

The term sellout is there for a reason. I don't know how a guy like Rinella could do it while growing his brand... that shits hard. I didn't know about the gun, that's a weird offering for sure. I do know he raffled off his old kimber and they have raised a lot of money for conservation. I think that's a start.

I'd probably have never eaten squirrel or blue gill if it wasn't for these guys and I now love them both.

You are still holding back on at least one of Rinella's favorite dishes. Remember lots of pepper, if you give them a try.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

The meat scientist episode was great. However it defies some of the “old ways of doing it” techniques which caused some “turmoil” this past season when I rinsed the cavity with clean hose water as per recommendation of the podcast. Old timers thought I was nuts and infecting the meat with bacteria...it was a hose! Not creek/swamp water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Youre out of the hospital ?!! Wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nine fingers chronicles/sportsmans nation, Dan used to do shows with Kenyon, he is more salt of the earth imo.

Before the echo, is a New show that's connected to "the hunting beast" I'm partial to that program because of how into public land they are. They also talk about regular hunting not just 150" bbd

"The big buck registry" only because it's all over the country hunting stories. 

East meats west hunts, they have some great stories, I love anything with Steve Sherk, and my location has minimum ag, so I can relate to how they speak about whitetails movement in hill country.

I am a Spotify guy and they have endless options on so many subjects. 

I listen to podcasts everyday at work. Used to love listening to all different hunting podcast but then it was like beating a dead horse with everyone piggybacking on mobile hunting, public land or Exodus cameras. Now I really enjoy listening to Jocko,Mike Ritland,Jack Carr or Andy Stumpf. 

48 minutes ago, bruno1 said:

I listen to podcasts everyday at work. Used to love listening to all different hunting podcast but then it was like beating a dead horse with everyone piggybacking on mobile hunting, public land or Exodus cameras. Now I really enjoy listening to Jocko,Mike Ritland,Jack Carr or Andy Stumpf. 

I wonder if it feels repative because we just really listen to so many. Sometimes I think it's possible I have absorbed most of the general knowledge and find myself looking for other things to listen to.

• Like 1