My private war....

Well I've been battling yellow nutsedge for a few years, but it with roundup a few times but it grows back from any part seed, or tuber..  decided to go chemical specific as its creeping Into my clover plot,orchard and main logging roads..   decided to go. With sedgehammer .. expensive stuff  for 1.6 punces.. but considering you use a teaspoon per gallon. it should do about 2 acres..    I will win this damn thing yer... 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Well I've been battling yellow nutsedge for a few years, but it with roundup a few times but it grows back from any part seed, or tuber..  decided to go chemical specific as its creeping Into my clover plot,orchard and main logging roads..   decided to go. With sedgehammer .. expensive stuff  for 1.6 punces.. but considering you use a teaspoon per gallon. it should do about 2 acres..    I will win this damn thing yer... 

I HATE when I get yellow nutsedge......good luck with the battle.  :)

• Haha 1

Let me know if what you got works I’ve been dealing with a bamboo type weed for 6 years . I’ve tried gasoline and it kills the steam and leaves but not the root . I even tarped off the area and had a rat living under the tarp so the wife freaked and I pulled the tarp after 6 months. 

5 hours ago, Cory said:

Let me know if what you got works I’ve been dealing with a bamboo type weed for 6 years . I’ve tried gasoline and it kills the steam and leaves but not the root . I even tarped off the area and had a rat living under the tarp so the wife freaked and I pulled the tarp after 6 months. 

Sounds like Japanese knot weed

17 hours ago, Cory said:

The most common method for how to kill Japanese knotweed is using a non-selective herbicide. You will need to use it undiluted or at least at a high concentration on this weed. Remember that this is a tough plant and one application of herbicide will not kill Japanese knotweed, but will only weaken it. The idea is to spray it repeatedly until the plant uses up all of its energy reserves while trying to regrow repeatedly.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Controlling Japanese Knotweed – Get Rid Of Japanese Knotweed https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/weeds/controlling-japanese-knotweed.htm

• 4 weeks later...

Japanese Knotwood can be killed but it takes TIME.  Use DICAMBIA on a 8-1 mixture apply. Stuff works like a charm but the it will return either later this year or next spring....  You kill it again and by year 3 it will be pretty much gone.  Problems:

1. Dicambia will kill  clover/broadleafs but not grass.  So you may need to plant oats/wheat/rye/corn/sorghum (dicmabia resistant soybeans) until the problem is resolved.

2. Spray the leaves with little runoff. For small areas  you can use a hollow needle to inject the dicambia directly into the stalks with little worry about harming anything but the knotweed. (see:https://www.jkinjectiontools.com/stem-injection )

It works great and is time consuming.... but may be best for small/sensitive areas,

2. When using this you need to wear protective clothing as it is corrosive....so unless washed off quickly it will destroy clothing.  I wear rubber boots.... hosed off with water and detergent and rinse really well.   Immediately wash everything in hot soapy water and triple rinse. Throw everything that's heavily contaminated away.

This is the only herbicide that Ive found to be really effective in the long run

Good Luck

BernieZ

Now yellow nutsedge is another issue and use pigs instead of goats as they will root out the underground nuts that goats can't get to.  Besides when done it's time for a pulled pork and sausage party.