Here is where our taxes go for Education

Sports do cost money, but the real money is going to salaries and pensions. The NYS state is bascially broke, but it just keeps promising more and more.

• Average pay for a teacher retiring from the school school district I live in is over $110,000. a year. That is a pension cost to the taxpayer of $55,000./year + lifetime health benefits when they retire. Based on a 30 year payout after retirement a teacher will make an additional $2,010,000.- for NOT working. (Pension 30 years @ $50,000) + (Health Insurance 30 years @ $12,000.)

We have school librarians who have a salary of $130,000 in our schoo districts. Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!

We have school librarians who have a salary of $130,000 in our schoo districts. Are you kidding me!!!!!!!!!

I hear that Dave... do you remember what the school librarian did when we were in school? I remember him sitting at the book checkout... while student library volunteers.. restocked books... occasionally he would give you a "SHHH" if he thought you were talking a bit loud... he did that 180 days a year... back then(1970's) he made nearly $40,000... a whopping amount of money back then... the librarian at the school now makes twice that, and has an assistant that makes about $50,000... I checked the student to teacher ratio for my old high school... 12 students for every teacher... wow.. thats tough..lol

Woofer

You are absolutely right that most of the educational cost is teacher salary...who is educating the students?

However you are wrong in saying that NY teachers do not need a Masters Degree. In NYS if you do not have a Masters after 5 years of teaching your certification becomes invalid.

Most teachers today start off making 40,000, the $110,000 salaries that you are refering to only come after 30 years of teaching along with masters degrees and inservice credits. Suffolk county cops make that same money after only 5 years of working and I don't hear anyone complaining about them.

When did the education of our children become so less important. Remember, we are the same people that have no problem spending $1,000's on a 5 day hunt. Now, isn't that crazy! Myself included!!!

Woofer

You are absolutely right that most of the educational cost is teacher salary...who is educating the students?

However you are wrong in saying that NY teachers do not need a Masters Degree. In NYS if you do not have a Masters after 5 years of teaching your certification becomes invalid.

Most teachers today start off making 40,000, the $110,000 salaries that you are refering to only come after 30 years of teaching along with masters degrees and inservice credits. Suffolk county cops make that same money after only 5 years of working and I don't hear anyone complaining about them.

When did the education of our children become so less important. Remember, we are the same people that have no problem spending $1,000's on a 5 day hunt. Now, isn't that crazy! Myself included!!!

What we chose to do with our money is our business, no matter what we spend it on. But as far as the school budget goes we have no control over how much they raise our taxes. We have no choice!!!!!!! But to pay for salaries and benefit of teachers making over $100,000 in my area , many are there less than 30 of service. And make much more than $100,000 a year, how much is enough???????
  • Like 1

Woofer

You missed my pouint, you do not a masters to teach. The union had the state mandate it as an excuse to pay teachers more money. The reality is none of the teachers who taught us growing up had a masters degree.

Here on long island you can get to a $100,000 + annual in as little as 7 years. More money doesn't make a good. It just attracts the wrong kind of teacher.

The cops on long island are a seperate but equal argument. They are also over paid. Don't give me they risk their lives for us crap. I can find 5 people for everyone of them who will risk their lives for less. Plus they don't really risk their lives for us anyway. You have a better chance dying as a construction worker than a cop.

What we chose to do with our money is our business, no matter what we spend it on. But as far as the school budget goes we have no control over how much they raise our taxes. We have no choice!!!!!!! But to pay for salaries and benefit of teachers making over $100,000 in my area , many are there less than 30 of service. And make much more than $100,000 a year, how much is enough???????

My friends wife teaches high school in Suffolk county, makes $109,000. a year plus $10,000 extra for coaching the soccer team. She works 180 days a year compared to 240 days for the average worker. It will cost the NY taxpayer over 2 million dollars in benefits (cash & healthcare) when she retires if she collects for another 30 years. she is only 31 now.

I don't know how this turned into a teacher bashing thread. But, the people who have a problem with teachers salaries, wouldn't have a problem with it if they were married to one.

And to say that cops don't risk their lives for anyone is just ignorant. Have you noticed how many cops have got shot lately?

Woofer

You really don't want to go down this road with these people, been there done that.

I don't know how this turned into a teacher bashing thread. But, the people who have a problem with teachers salaries, wouldn't have a problem with it if they were married to one.

And to say that cops don't risk their lives for anyone is just ignorant. Have you noticed how many cops have got shot lately?

You and your wife wouldn't happen to be a member of the long island lotto would you? You know when one person is a cop and the other is a teacher.

You missed my pouint, you do not a masters to teach. The union had the state mandate it as an excuse to pay teachers more money. The reality is none of the teachers who taught us growing up had a masters degree.

Here on long island you can get to a $100,000 + annual in as little as 7 years. More money doesn't make a good. It just attracts the wrong kind of teacher.

The cops on long island are a seperate but equal argument. They are also over paid. Don't give me they risk their lives for us crap. I can find 5 people for everyone of them who will risk their lives for less. Plus they don't really risk their lives for us anyway. You have a better chance dying as a construction worker than a cop.

Tell that to the NYPD officer who was shot in the head in Brooklyn on Jan 31, 2012. Tell his family he didn't risk his life. it's a mirical he is alive. And he doesn't make anything close to $100,000 base pay. Also tell the detective who was shot in the subway, that he didn't risk his life. What a stupid remark to make , you can't compare the contributions the Police make to the teachers. Police don't work 180 days and have the summer off, they work off hours and holidays. No one is going to come to their house in the middle of the night and tell their family that a teacher was shot. But a cop's family deals with this reality everyday.

Good guess. But that doesn't change the facts.

Good for you guys, I don't fault you. But the system is not working. You just got me thinking, I thought Imay know you guys. I have a couple of friends who are on the job and hunt, but none have teachers for spouses.

Tell that to the NYPD officer who was shot in the head in Brooklyn on Jan 31, 2012. Tell his family he didn't risk his life. it's a mirical he is alive. And he doesn't make anything close to $100,000 base pay. Also tell the detective who was shot in the subway, that he didn't risk his life. What a stupid remark to make , you can't compare the contributions the Police make to the teachers. Police don't work 180 days and have the summer off, they work off hours and holidays. No one is going to come to their house in the middle of the night and tell their family that a teacher was shot. But a cop's family deals with this reality everyday.

Please re-read my post:

"The cops on long island are a seperate but equal argument."

I was NOT talking about city cops.

I wish I taught in the school districts that you are talking about because I have been teaching for about 12 years and don't make close to those numbers. I work a second job in construction during the summer to live on Long Island just like everyone else. We all pay the same taxes!!! Don't you think that if teachers were not paid well, "Quality" teachers wouldn't be interested. Isn't that true for all professions??? I had a plumber do work in my basement last year. He worked for about 4 hours and I payed him $700 just in labor. He was the cheapest estimate!!!

If educators are so well paid and the benefits are so great (which we pay towards) I encourage all to go through the necessary schooling and get a job in todays education field.

Been shot at ... spit on......Hit with rocks..Hit with bottles ... punched .... kicked...spit on...and a bunch of stuff I cant even remember!!! How much should I be paid!!!!

Edited by WNYBuckHunter

some people on this site must have nothing better to do than to just sit around and type replys to these blogs without using any sense of thought or logic. to read some of these responses just makes me shake my head. how dare anyone say ANY law enforcement officer is overpaid. tell the suffolk county police officer's family who was killed in a car accident. or the numerous other long island police officers slain in the line of duty recently. just like ants said and by the way that couldnt be more true. F%%K em

I think you have to compare apples to apples. There are huge differences in teachers and cops salaries across the state.

Yes, salaries are high, especially on Long Island. But man, it is super expensive to live here as well.

Most of the problem, IMO, is the price of the beaurocracy. School admistraters in some areas make rediculous amounts. And some Departments are top heavy with brass..To many chief's not enough indians..

Been shot at ... spit on ...

sounds like your a cop, ok no one is saying you shouldnt be paid well. it's just we dont wanna have to flip the tab for your pensions and lifetime healthcare while we are struggling to pay our own. hey whats fair is fair. it just has to come to some sort of balance either by law or by collapse of the whole system.