Here is where our taxes go for Education

Thats the mentality of waaaaay too many people in this country and thats what gets people like Obama elected. I have spent a career watching generations of pieces of S--t like this get a free ride only to want more and more and more and get more and more and more from you and me and everyone else who gets their A$$ out of bed and goes to work every day.....And sadly it will get worse. Especially with Obama in a second term. Its disgusting!!

• Like 1

Our school district here on Long Island collects over $33,000. per student. The nearby private school charges only $8,400. a year. The difference in cost goes to the teachers salaries and pensions in the public school system. The NYS pension system is collapsing under the weight. You can expect our country to look like Greece in the future when the pensioners are told their money is not all there.

Edited by wooffer

Woofer, i think if you look at the enormous number of sports and extracirriculars the public school offers that the private school doesnt, youll see the majority of the difference. Thats not as fun to bash as teachers salaries though.

The school district my fiance works for got a "grant" last year to put in an astroturf football field that costs twice as much to maintain as the grass field did. Since they put it in, no other team other than the football team is allowed to use it, so now they have to add some additional practice fields so that the lacross and soccer teams can practice.

Oh, then they just finished a multi-million dollar strip of grass to segregate the bus loop from the student parking lot, which was previously accomplished with painted lines and parking blocks.

But the state is broke, right?

Woofer

The difference in numbers that you were speaking of are due to many different factors. One, private school are not mandated by NYS to give the Standardized tests that all public schools do. These standardized tests cost roughly $8 to $12 per student and on average a student takes three standardized tests a year. Secondly, the public school that you were referring to has a extremely small student population. Most public schools collect on average $16000 per student. I paid close to that much money in daycare last year!! Finally, how much money would should someone expect to receive in salary for obtaining a college degree, masters degree, and 90 inservice credits past their masters degree? If you look at it that way teachers aren't paid enough.

I don't believe that the education system is to blame for NYS current status. After watching that video, maybe groups like Newsday should publish articles to speak about that video or how 40%of Americans are on some time of government assistance!!!

Woofer

The difference in numbers that you were speaking of are due to many different factors. One, private school are not mandated by NYS to give the Standardized tests that all public schools do. These standardized tests cost roughly $8 to $12 per student and on average a student takes three standardized tests a year. Secondly, the public school that you were referring to has a extremely small student population. Most public schools collect on average $16000 per student. I paid close to that much money in daycare last year!! Finally, how much money would should someone expect to receive in salary for obtaining a college degree, masters degree, and 90 inservice credits past their masters degree? If you look at it that way teachers aren't paid enough.

I don't believe that the education system is to blame for NYS current status. After watching that video, maybe groups like Newsday should publish articles to speak about that video or how 40%of Americans are on some time of government assistance!!!

Your replies are typical union responses. State mandates costs pennies compared to what it takes to educate these kids. You don't need a masters to teach, you never did. Take a look at the attached pdf it addresses the answers better. Did you ever see what your local teachers make? Here on long island it is insane. See them at www.seethroughny.net

PLEASE SAVE OUR SCHOOLS AND OUR CHILDRENS FUTURE BY VOTING….pdf

Edited by wooffer

Woofer, i think if you look at the enormous number of sports and extracirriculars the public school offers that the private school doesnt, youll see the majority of the difference. Thats not as fun to bash as teachers salaries though.

The school district my fiance works for got a "grant" last year to put in an astroturf football field that costs twice as much to maintain as the grass field did. Since they put it in, no other team other than the football team is allowed to use it, so now they have to add some additional practice fields so that the lacross and soccer teams can practice.

Oh, then they just finished a multi-million dollar strip of grass to segregate the bus loop from the student parking lot, which was previously accomplished with painted lines and parking blocks.

But the state is broke, right?

Sports do cost money, but the real money is going to salaries and pensions. The NYS state is bascially broke, but it just keeps promising more and more.

• Average pay for a teacher retiring from the school school district I live in is over $110,000. a year. That is a pension cost to the taxpayer of $55,000./year + lifetime health benefits when they retire. Based on a 30 year payout after retirement a teacher will make an additional $2,010,000.- for NOT working. (Pension 30 years @ $50,000) + (Health Insurance 30 years @ $12,000.)

Your replies are typical union responses. State mandates costs pennies compared to what it takes to educate these kids. You don't need a masters to teach, you never did. Take a look at the attached pdf it addresses the answers better. Did you ever see what your local teachers make? Here on long island it is insane. See them at www.seethroughny.net

Union response? Do you realize i am not a union supporter in any way shape or form? Yes, i know what the pay ranges are around here. Take your blinders off and look at the whole picture. I do agree with the pension stuff, all government workers should have to fund their retirements like the rest of us do. Not just teachers. Regardless, the popular argument is not to look at everything, just focus on salaries and bash away while voting 'yes' on that astro turf field and new uniforms every year.

Sports do cost money, but the real money is going to salaries and pensions. The NYS state is bascially broke, but it just keeps promising more and more.

• Average pay for a teacher retiring from the school school district I live in is over $110,000. a year. That is a pension cost to the taxpayer of $55,000./year + lifetime health benefits when they retire. Based on a 30 year payout after retirement a teacher will make an additional $2,010,000.- for NOT working. (Pension 30 years @ $50,000) + (Health Insurance 30 years @ $12,000.)

we are freakin doomed because there isnt a politician in the state that dare messes with the treachers union. so i guess it just going to have to collapse on its own. already starting to happen in other states...

I agree with you regarding the waste as far as the other spending goes, but the bulk of the budget is salaries and pensions. The school districts spend money like it is free, because for them it is free. Put out a budget and people will approve it, and if they don't they will have a re-vote. Our school district uses the kids to scare the parents. We are now being threatened with no kindergarten if the budget doesn't pass. They could say no new uniforms but that doesn't scare the parents as much.

I agree with most of what you are saying, i just dont see the saleries as the issue, its the retirement benefits (including pensions) that are piling up and killing things. You see the same thing in all areas of government, everyone gets a free ride after retirement, that has to stop.

True, but the pension system set up in the 1920's was done so based on very low municipal saleries and was a way of compensating those workers. Sadly all municipal saleries have skyrocketed, but the pension system has not been adjusted to deal with it. The pension system is not totally funded anymore, just like our social security system. We all lose in the end.

we are freakin doomed because there isnt a politician in the state that dare messes with the treachers union. so i guess it just going to have to collapse on its own. already starting to happen in other states...

Cuomo is trying but it is an uphill battle.

it is scary because politicians have figured its safer for them politically to let a system collapse and then stand there with their hands up saying DUH instead of telling the teachers union we are cutting your pay and benis, and retirement because theres no money left. kinda like what happened with the whole wall street disaster, they all saw it coming but our leaders stepped aside and let it happen..

Yep. It used to be you either worked in the private sector for better pay, or in the public sector for better bennies, now its, work in the public sector for just as good pay and way better bennies, all paid for by the private sector through taxes. Its an unsustainable model.

Yep. It used to be you either worked in the private sector for better pay, or in the public sector for better bennies, now its, work in the public sector for just as good pay and way better bennies, all paid for by the private sector through taxes. Its an unsustainable model.

i really dont know anybody in NY state that still works in the private sector, went to a new years party and out of 30 people 5 were cops, or NY state troopers, about another 5 or so were correctional guys, 2 dot workers, 4 teachers, 2 or 3 nyc firemen and a bunch of town employees???

No one can afford to work in the private sector. I worked for an international company years ago. we laid off 10% of the staff and those who didn't lose their jobs got a 10% pay cut. Sadly the company closed 3 years later and all jobs were lost. My salary has never come up that 10% again and probably neve will.

They say in Greece more people work for the government than the private sector. The private sector can no longer afford to fund their pension system, hence the riots.

You can use this website to see what any NYS worker makes. http://seethroughny.net/payrolls/

The top 4 people in my school district make more than the governor of NY.

Edited by wooffer