Here is where our taxes go for Education

You forgot the old, "but it's because of the state mandates" that we charge so much taxes. Of course state mandates account for less than 3% our schools $71,000.000.- budget.

"Or this increase is only $200. more a year". Well I've got a another 30+ years to live, so that's only $6,000.- plus the next years increase and so on, and so on.

you see the biggest part of this problem is the tax payer really isnt part of the negotiations, the taxpayer has no real voice, no representation. teachers salaries and pensions are promised by the politicians to the unions who get them elected, especially in NY. the promises of life long health care and pensions were made by crooks who just wanted to get elected with no idea what was going to happen 30 years down the road, and these crooks really didnt care what was going to happen 30 years down the road.

you see the whole thing was a bad deal and Joe taxpayer has been asked to pay to uphold the bad deal for a long time now. too long as far as i'm concerend..

• Like 1

You got that right, "sits in trees". I remember standing in line behind a family and her two daughters who were college age. They were excited to be old enough to vote and support their old school. So they had 3 votes against my 1, not a very fair system.

Just the facts: Not really sure what the bitching is all about... raise your hand if you make $41 an hour... and your pay has increased 43% since 2002

State Spending on Teachers

• Salary expenditure on all teachers (including home schoolers, special education, non-certified teachers): $20,863,490,167
  • Benefits expenditures for teachers: $8,566,667,151

The average teacher’s salary in New York consistently rates much higher than other states in the nation. In 2007, the teacher salary in New York averaged about $62,943 per year. In 2008 and 2009, typical annual teacher salaries New York were $66,295 and $66,760 respectively.

Teaching salaries in New York were significantly higher than the national averages, which were $48,353 in 2008 and $49,720 in 2009, making the average New York teacher salary over $15,000 higher than the average teacher salary in the United States.

Teaching salaries in New York regularly rank amongst the very highest in the nation, if not the highest, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Since 2002, starting salaries for NYC public school teachers have increased 43%.

Teachers can also earn additional income from after-school, weekend, or summer school employment. This work is paid at a contractual rate which is currently $41.98 per hour.

Teachers are entitled to both life and disability insurance through the Teachers' Retirement System. The UFT Welfare Fund also offers additional life and disability benefits.

Currently, teachers with the maximum combination of experience and coursework on the salary schedule can earn up to $100,049 per year.

• Like 1

You got that right, "sits in trees". I remember standing in line behind a family and her two daughters who were college age. They were excited to be old enough to vote and support their old school. So they had 3 votes against my 1, not a very fair system.

Not to mention the 18 year olds that the get to vote for the budget do not pay school taxes... pretty easy to vote for a budget increase when it isn't coming out of your pocket.

the unions support each other no doubt, public service unions have outgrown labor unions not only in NY but the whole country. your talking millions and millions of members. when a school budget vote comes up you have alot more than just the teachers voting "YES". you have town employees, state workers, teachers thier spouses and children who are of age and everyone else they can drag with them, and let me tell you there are alot of teachers in my town, alot of teachers will tell you well i live in the town and pay those same tax increases, haaaaaa i love that one, it's good business for them, pay another 500 bucks in school tax but get a 4 thousand dollar raise the same year, duuhhhhh. there is a HUGE truth in theres strenght in numbers quote. the public service unions in NY have reached a point of invincibility and the only correction that i can see for this is they will have to collapse under their own weight.

Edited by sits in trees

the unions support each other no doubt, public service unions have outgrown labor unions not only in NY but the whole country. your talking millions and millions of members. when a school budget vote comes up you have alot more than just the teachers voting "YES". you have town employees, state workers, teachers thier spouses and children who are of age and everyone else they can drag with them, and let me tell you there are alot of teachers in my town, alot of teachers will tell you well i live in the town and pay those same tax increases, haaaaaa i love that one, it's good business for them, pay another 500 bucks in school tax but get a 4 thousand dollar raise the same year, duuhhhhh. there is a HUGE truth in theres strenght in numbers quote. the public service unions in NY have reached a point of invincibility and the only correction that i can see for this is they will have to collapse under their own weight.

Everything that has been said is totally ture. On Long Island most of the teachers live in the school disrtict so they will always vote for the school budget. Total conspiracy to keep the system going, you vote for me and I will give you the raises you want simple as that. In the past two years my school taxes have risen over $300 a month, for what? Salary and benefits for the teachers. I am retired and once the housing market picks up if it ever does I am moving. Never anticipated an increase of $300 a month in school taxes when I retired. And had nothing to say about it , like taxation with out representation. What makes me crazy is people and politicians are on TV complaining if your electric and gas bill goes up a few dollars a month. Where are they when your school taxes go up $300 a month? At least you get something from your utility company, what do you get from the school district but more taxes and no accountability. And this idiot president tells us we have to pay our fair share. Spoken like a true community organizer. Vote them all out of office.

Not sure where on Long Island you guys live. But, in the town where i grew up, the budget has been voted down frequently over the past 20 years. Before that, it was always approved. In the last 20 years, the quality of the district has suffered. The kids have to play to take part in sports and other after-school activities. There are more kids in each class, less supplies, and poorly kept facilities. In the past, the high quality school district was always part of the town's allure- and kept property values high. Now, the schools are in decline and everyone's suffering. Voting down school budgets is not a solution to higher teacher salaries- it's vengeful and short-sighted.

Not sure where on Long Island you guys live. But, in the town where i grew up, the budget has been voted down frequently over the past 20 years. Before that, it was always approved. In the last 20 years, the quality of the district has suffered. The kids have to play to take part in sports and other after-school activities. There are more kids in each class, less supplies, and poorly kept facilities. In the past, the high quality school district was always part of the town's allure- and kept property values high. Now, the schools are in decline and everyone's suffering. Voting down school budgets is not a solution to higher teacher salaries- it's vengeful and short-sighted.

You teachers need to understand it's not about vengeance but rather justice. You can't take money we need to live and help our children with so you can reire after 20 years and collect another 2 million in benefits.

What school district do you work for? Can you provide me the link to their voting record and budget?

None of what you said is true. A tax increase is still imposed even when budgets are voted down. How come private schools can educate the same child for 1/4 of what the public schools charge? If you your school district is as bad as you say it is because the staff is lining their pockets and padding their pensions, not because the school does not have enough money.

We are told that we must spend more money to get a quality education. The opposite was shown in the school documentary, “Waiting for Superman”. The quality of education has gone down as the cost of schooling our children has gone up. Regents’ exams and SAT’s are now graded on a curve because students no longer perform to the same level of those years ago.

Lastly, the biggest lie is that "our schools are responsible for our property values". The school system is merely a reflection of the quality of the people that make up the community. The school system did NOT create the quality of the community.

Edited by wooffer

I'm not a teacher and don't work for a school district. I just think that you're trying to take shots at teachers, and you're actually doing more harm to the kids. The districts have to pay those salaries regardless of whether or not the budget is passed.

I'm not a teacher and don't work for a school district. I just think that you're trying to take shots at teachers, and you're actually doing more harm to the kids. The districts have to pay those salaries regardless of whether or not the budget is passed.

i would think the district pays the current salaries, YES... Does the district still give out raises when a budget is denied? If so then the current budget pays for the teacher like woofer stated as they line their pockets when the money should go to the education and not the system... i dont think many guys will deny education to the children, its when you question where the money REALLY goes is the problem, especially when the district always wants more and more...

look at the guy in the video, the scary part is THIS IS a reality. hard earned tax dollars at its finest and thats what we are paying for? i dont know about you BUT i dont get cost of living increases every year nor my year end bonus that i used to get due to these economic times and its an out rage that there are people getting salarie increases like mad and benefits out the wahzoo on my tax dollar...

Virgil, fess up now, I know you are a teacher. Do you know how much your school district collects in taxes per student? I would guess you live around Middle Island area and it is safe to around $29,000. per student. A private school only cost $8,000. per year. Where does the extra $21,000.- per student go Virgil?

You are also wrong about the contracts. Contracts are broken everyday and the teachers contracts can be broken also. You didn't tell me what school district you are referring to?

I work in a small community hospital. Basically, the mandate is 'do more with less'. In general, reimbursement for medical services goes down every year. And now, we're being faced with a plan that will reimburse in full only if facilities meet certain benchmarks on 'customer satisfaction'-type surveys. Every time a position is vacated, it's a struggle for me to get permission to re-hire that position. So, in a nutshell, we're supposed to work harder and see more patients for the same or less money; and do this with less staff; and maintain a high level a customer satisfaction while doing so.

i would think the district pays the current salaries, YES... Does the district still give out raises when a budget is denied? If so then the current budget pays for the teacher like woofer stated as they line their pockets when the money should go to the education and not the system... i dont think many guys will deny education to the children, its when you question where the money REALLY goes is the problem, especially when the district always wants more and more...

look at the guy in the video, the scary part is THIS IS a reality. hard earned tax dollars at its finest and thats what we are paying for? i dont know about you BUT i dont get cost of living increases every year nor my year end bonus that i used to get due to these economic times and its an out rage that there are people getting salarie increases like mad and benefits out the wahzoo on my tax dollar...

Well said Geno. The reality is that teachers forget it is our money. We are not a private corporation that exists to generate money for your retirement. Who is gonna help me retire after you stole all my money for your pension?

I work in a small community hospital. Basically, the mandate is 'do more with less'. In general, reimbursement for medical services goes down every year. And now, we're being faced with a plan that will reimburse in full only if facilities meet certain benchmarks on 'customer satisfaction'-type surveys. Every time a position is vacated, it's a struggle for me to get permission to re-hire that position. So, in a nutshell, we're supposed to work harder and see more patients for the same or less money; and do this with less staff; and maintain a high level a customer satisfaction while doing so.

So you understand our frustration then. The teachers union does not unfortunately. Their motto to the taxpayer is basically, "Give us your hard money and learn to do more with less". While we work part time and get raises irregardless of the state of the economy.

If you get a chance, take your schools budget and divide it by the number of students. My school district collects over $33,000.- per student and still cries poverty. It would be cheaper for me and everyon on LI if they closed the whole school district and I sent all my kids to private school.

Edited by wooffer

Wooffer, you don't know anything- you only pretend that you do. The district i was referring to was East Islip. And, no, I don't live in Middle Island.

My guess is that many of those private schools are privately funded- such as by the Catholic Church. So, it's not a matter of 'where that money goes', it's a matter of where it comes from.

I provide facts with my statements, you do not. It is clear who knows what is going on.

East Islip budget passed last year by a 2924 to 1952 vote. They collected $24,276.- per student in 2009 and it is probably much higher now. You don't think that is enough compared to a private school?

Edited by wooffer

Until you can account for the total cost that those private schools incur per student- not just the tuition cost that the parents pay- then you're not making a fair comparison. But, my guess is you're really not interested in a fair comparison. Find out how much the church contributes to the overall cost of operating the school.

I wish I taught in the school districts that you are talking about because I have been teaching for about 12 years and don't make close to those numbers. I work a second job in construction during the summer to live on Long Island just like everyone else. We all pay the same taxes!!! Don't you think that if teachers were not paid well, "Quality" teachers wouldn't be interested. Isn't that true for all professions??? I had a plumber do work in my basement last year. He worked for about 4 hours and I payed him $700 just in labor. He was the cheapest estimate!!! If educators are so well paid and the benefits are so great (which we pay towards) I encourage all to go through the necessary schooling and get a job in todays education field.

I love this quote....

"Modern cynics and skeptics, see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."

John F. Kennedy

I love this quote....

"Modern cynics and skeptics, see no harm in paying those to whom they entrust the minds of their children a smaller wage than is paid to whom they entrust the care of their plumbing."

John F. Kennedy

That was a very relevant quote ........................40 years ago.