Here is where our taxes go for Education

I've stayed out of this for a while! Settle down folks you cannot change anyone's mind if it's already made up! Let the use the Ferber method!

... Ferber method is to solve infant whining problems. It involves training whiners to self -soothe by allowing the whiner to complain for a predetermined amount of time before receiving external comfort.. ( changed some wording for my purposes. However, the meaning of the method is the same).

Using the Beatles words "let it be."

• Like 1

i live on LI own a house and have no kids and yet i still have to fund everyones elses children... thats fair huh... LOL

Geno, I hear you and feel the same way. I am retired in Nassau County and pay school taxes and have no children in the school system. But also have a house up state which I have to also pay school taxes. I don't think we should be required to pay school taxes twice. I remember you recently bought land up state soon you will be in the same boat.
  • Like 1

I've stayed out of this for a while! Settle down folks you cannot change anyone's mind if it's already made up! Let the use the Ferber method!

... Ferber method is to solve infant whining problems. It involves training whiners to self -soothe by allowing the whiner to complain for a predetermined amount of time before receiving external comfort.. ( changed some wording for my purposes. However, the meaning of the method is the same).

Using the Beatles words "let it be."

My frustration is aimed at the LI teacher, not city teachers. I respect the city teachers who taught me, not the ilk that slimed their way into the LI classrooms and use our kids to blackmail us.

Our school has threatened canceling Kindergarten if they don't get the increase they want. I can't think of a lower form of life than one who uses children for their own personal benefit.

Edited by wooffer

i live on LI own a house and have no kids and yet i still have to fund everyones elses children... thats fair huh... LOL

Not fair at all Geno. I have kids, but in a fair world only those with kids should pay,and we should all pay an equal amount. It's easy for those on here to say give the teachers our future money when they don't pay there fair share to begin with.

I don't have a lot of bad things to say about teachers. Frankly, you couldn't pay me enough to spend all those hours with those little monsters ..... lol. But I will say that compared to the days when I was in school there certainly has become a glut of administrative personel. It also seems that there is an abundance in teacher headcount compared to what it took to educate us even though the number of students have not risen significantly. I will also say that the results really are not all that impressive.

having attended the same school district that I am now a taxpayer in, and having put two children through that same school, and having watched two grandchildren attending the same school as well as countless other children and aquaintances, gives me a unique perspective on how the growth of teachers and administrators and facilities has far outpaced the miniscule population growth in that school over the years. Every year the inflation adjusted costs go up, and every year the quality of student education erodes. Something is very, very wrong in our educational institutions

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with contributing to your community and the schools in the community... there is however something wrong with just property owners contributing to the community... and there is something wrong with someone else deciding how my money is spent without consulting me.. I have a problem with paying anyone a salary, benefits, and retirement that I will never recieve myself in the private sector... if our money is going to be used to run the community we should have the say about how it is spent.. not the teachers union or union backed politicians. That does not seem unreasonable to me... and if I am not going to have a say and teachers are going to get all those things that I (the person that pays their way) does not get... then at least turn out students that can read and write... and stop whining about how bad you have it and how tough your part -time job is... I like to at least get a kiss when I'm being screwed.

• Like 1

DOC / NYANTLER, you guys give me some hope that people are seeing the truth about what is going on. Sadly I don't think much can done for the zombies programmed by the teachers union. Did you ever see the school documentary "Waiting for Superman"?

You can watch it on youtube a piece at a time

Edited by wooffer

boys, boys just sit back and relax and watch the system slowly collapse under it's own weight. all the bickering in the world wont make teachers give up a single dime and as middle class taxpayers we dont have the power to do a damn thing. so theres no reason to get all excited about this, it will self correct itself, nature will take it's course in this unsustainable system. unfortunately alot of good hard working people will go down with it too, but thats the way it has to happen.

boys, boys just sit back and relax and watch the system slowly collapse under it's own weight. all the bickering in the world wont make teachers give up a single dime and as middle class taxpayers we dont have the power to do a damn thing. so theres no reason to get all excited about this, it will self correct itself, nature will take it's course in this unsustainable system. unfortunately alot of good hard working people will go down with it too, but thats the way it has to happen.

When the system DOES correct it self there will be no middle class and we will either be RICH or POOR but im sure us middle class will all be poor...

That's a nice link, I was just giving it a quick look. I have to dig deeper into it. I was at my schools budget meeting last night. I think they are feeling the pressure the over taxed community and even backed off their threat of canceling Kindergarten if they don't get their money.

Sits I wish it worked that way but unfortunately it doesn't. Remember in 2008 when the markets took a nose dive and all our 401K plans and stockes dropped. Well that hurt the average Joe but not the teachers retirement fund. Because of state laws that say the teachers contracte have to be honored no matter what happens to the economy. So when the funds in the teachers retirement system went down like everyone elses it didn't hurt the teachers one bit. Their loses have to be paid by the tax payers. Where our loses are just that our loses and no one makes up the difference in our loses. I had some of my coworkers ready to retire and when the market dropped they stayed on another 3 years till they could recoup some of their loses. So not only do we pay their salaries, retirement and health benefits we also pay to cover their loses in the stock market. We lose no matter how you look at it, we are on the hook to pay for these free loaders. Only way to save your hard earned money is to move out of state. Edited by Dave

If nothing else the agreement that public pensions can be invested in the stock must change. Otherwise like you said the public has to make up the difference when the stocks dive.

What makes me crazy is the fact that investing in the stock market is a form of gambeling. And that the tax payers have to pay for the gambeling loses of the Teachers Union or any other funds the state has invested in the market. Totally insane...

wow, if thats true that is pretty insane...

Geno, this came from an editorial in Newsday which shocked me too. The teachers benefits are guaranteed by the state and we have to pay for it, even if they lose it all in the stock market. Who gave the state this authority with our tax dollars???

The authority comes from the New York State Constitution.

Don't me get me started on that non-sense. When they started the pension system in the 1920's no one was making that much and the life expectancy was much shorter. Yes, they should have never amended the consitution but that doesn't make it right. The constitution needs to be revised to correct that mistake.

The worst is yet to come for NYS pensioners. The money that is supposed to in the pension system is all NOT there. Future NYS retirees will not see all their pension money when they retire.

Edited by wooffer