Predator Control

Michele Wagner

So, a few people have been cautious to even consider helping me with this because they think I'm going to turn my results to make hunters look bad or something, so I just wanted to clarify what I'm doing.

For my technical writing class I have to do a study on an audience's view on a particular issue. I'm a wildlife biology issue so predator control and hunters are the issue and audience which is most applicable to me. This study is to gather information on how to approach hunters with information regarding predator control so that they actually care about it. I also have to do a research paper on the results that I get from the survey.

I'm a hunter myself, I've been deer hunting since I was a little girl, so yall don't have to worry about me trying to make you guys look bad, because it's not going to happen =]

I live on L.I. where there are no coyotes, only fox and raccoons (if you consider raccoons predators).. By predator control I gather from the questions that you mean coyotes only.

I have opinions about predator control , but my knowledge of coyotes comes only from reading ,or videos so I doubt that they would be much value to you.

I am familiar with red fox,and raccoons so if you are interested in general predator control I'd be happy to give my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

So, 531 people took the survey for me, which is awesome ! But it gave me ridiculous amounts of data to go through which is why this took me forever. I’m also on spring break, soooo I haven’t been working on homework all that much these last 2 weeks. Sorry !

Ohkay,

so this is pretty much most of the results that matter and I could do without using the statistical software that’s only available to me at my school. But if you guys want to know anything else just ask !

95.6% say they are for predator control

4.8% say they are against predator control

Views on predator control by age group:

Ages 14-20, 90% were for predator control, 5% were against, and 5% were undecided

Ages 21-30, 94% were for predator control, 6% were against, and 0% were undecided

Ages 31-40, 95% were for predator control, 4% were against, and 1% was undecided

Ages 41-50, 94% were for predator control, 3% were against, and 3% were undecided

Ages 51-60, 96% were for predator control, 4% were against, and 0% were undecided

Ages 61-70, 92% were for predator control, 8% were against, and 0% were undecided

Ages 71-80, 100% were for predator control, 0% were against, and 0% were undecided

Species Hunted:

75% Hunted/Trapped Large/Small Mammals

29% Hunted Waterfowl

39% Hunted/Trapped other predators

50% Hunted Coyotes

66% have experienced problems with coyotes

34.2% haven’t experienced problems with coyotes

79.1% live in an area with a high population of coyotes

21.4% do not live in an area with a high population of coyotes

Pros of Having Coyotes:

1. 18% say they effect game populations in a positive way (they have a vital part ni the ecosystem and they prey upon the sick/weak animals)

1. 6% say they clean up the carcasses that are left behind
  2. 16% say they help control varmint populations
  3. 1% say they can sell pelts

Cons of Having Coyotes:

1. 6% say they spread disease
  2. 55% say they effect game populations in a negative way (they prey upon game so frequently that they lower their populations to low levels)
  3. 23% say they kill off too many fawns and young animals
  4. 29% say they are a danger to personal homes, pets, or livestock
  5. 7% say their populations are too high
  6. 51% say there are no pros about having coyotes

Additional Comments:

18% say we should just kill them all

4% say we should just let coyote populations be and have nature control it

13% say what is currently being done to control coyote populations is good enough

64% say that more control is needed

Figures/Tables depicting the percent of people that are supportive of predator control by state and the number of people for/against/undecided about predator control according to knowledge of the subject are available at :

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/xoxmetalgrlxox/percentbystate.png

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/xoxmetalgrlxox/Familiarity.png

Edited by Michele Wagner