Oneida lake Sturgeon

Robhuntandfish

From Cornell studies:

Today we completed the 3-day May sturgeon netting survey on Oneida Lake. We net 12 different sites across the lake, from Three Mile bay down to Verona Beach. A total of 20 sturgeon were measured, weighed, tagged, and released.

A couple years ago on 6/19/19, we captured the largest fish ever documented in Oneida Lake - a 139 lb lake sturgeon that was 72.6" long. Today, we broke that record by over 20 lbs! We netted, tagged, and released a lake sturgeon weighing 159.4 lbs that was 73.6" long. This fish will eventually be aged using samples taken today. The oldest sturgeon in the lake are from the 1995 stocking, so they would be 26 years old.

Other exciting news is that we caught 17 sturgeon today, 11 of which were in one net. In addition to several ripe males, we caught one ripe female sturgeon that was releasing eggs all over the place. She was 66.4 lbs and 60.8 inches long and will eventually be aged as well. An exciting survey to be sure!

FB_IMG_1621465305487.jpg

FB_IMG_1621465312389.jpg

• Like 12

1 hour ago, First-light said:

I have no idea but is there any food value in a fish like that?

I believe that is legal for native americans to fish for sturgeon along certain sections of the St. Lawrence.  As far as I know, otherwise it is not legal to keep them or intentionally fish for them in NY.  To answer your question I imagine there is food value otherwise native americans would not fish for them.  NYS is making an effort to reestablish them in certain waters.  I know a few have been seen in the Oswego River near the dam in years past.

• Like 1

I am sure you can eat them but right now as jperch said - illegal to fish for them.   Not even supposed to take them out of the water.  I wonder how long before they open a season on them.  I think michigan has a season and some locations where they can only take so many and you have to call them in.   Then once the quota is hit the season is over. I can see it being very popular in the spring as they fight like crazy. 

Edited by Robhuntandfish

I am sure you can eat them but right now as jperch said - illegal to fish for them.   Not even supposed to take them out of the water.  I wonder how long before they open a season on them.  I think michigan has a season and some locations where they can only take so many and you have to call them in.   Then once the quota is hit the season is over. I can see it being very popular in the spring as they fight like crazy. 

You aren’t allowed to pull the caviar out as long as you release them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

not that i am aware of. and yuck. 

I was just kidding. But sturgeon caviar is expensive from what I hear. Like $500 for a little tin. Farmed fish I assume

• Like 1

My wife and I were just talking about this (Oneida Lake sturgeon) yesterday.. We live in the town of Constantia, and have seen the babies at the hatchery in the past, along with the little paddlefish they release in the western part of the state. 

I have seen pictures of teams of horses pulling trot lines...literally a mile or more long, out of Lake Ontario, where the sturgeon were considered nuisance fish, due to the damage to fishing nets. They then stacked them on shore to dry out and burned them! 

Does anyone know if the baby sturgeon are still being raised and released? 

21 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

My wife and I were just talking about this (Oneida Lake sturgeon) yesterday.. We live in the town of Constantia, and have seen the babies at the hatchery in the past, along with the little paddlefish they release in the western part of the state. 

I have seen pictures of teams of horses pulling trot lines...literally a mile or more long, out of Lake Ontario, where the sturgeon were considered nuisance fish, due to the damage to fishing nets. They then stacked them on shore to dry out and burned them! 

Does anyone know if the baby sturgeon are still being raised and released? 

looks like according to this they are still being stocked.  I was asked to help stock Atlantic salmon this year (private approved group) but i really dont support the stocking of Atlantics in the lake.  It just seems too shallow and warm for a good salmon fishery and really woudl rather not see them compete against the walleye population that is very healthy. 

http://www.oneidalakeassociation.org/Sturgeon OLA Article 010319.pdf

I remember having smoked sturgeon as a kid that my grandfather got the fish from the Akwesasne and then smoked it. I was very good, he smoked bullheads as well that were fantastic.

I live in Phoenix, Three Rivers and they have netted and tested some big ones where the rivers meet here.

I was just kidding. But sturgeon caviar is expensive from what I hear. Like $500 for a little tin. Farmed fish I assume

Is that why you stuck a straw up that sturgeon and started sucking?!? I didn’t think that’s how you revive one but trusted you knew what you were doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Is that why you stuck a straw up that sturgeon and started sucking?!? I didn’t think that’s how you revive one but trusted you knew what you were doing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, yes. But I didn't think you saw that. I turned my headlamp off

• Like 1