NY trout season

noodle one

It's funny. Every year I get amped up as well for opening day. But not to fish it. I just can't stand the crowds. I usually wait two weeks or so to let the crowds get it out of their systems. Having said that, If I can get to some isolated water that others won't want to hike to, I'll give it a shot. Yes though, It does get me going and looking forward to a new season with everything outdoors. Enjoy it !

Can't wait. Going to Naples creek, near camp. Gotta be there at 0300 to get my hole locked in, but it's worth it. Last yr, I fished that hole for 4 hours without a fish. Guy next to me made 3 casts into it, and lands a 6 pounder, but that's the way it goes.

I get much more excited about the walleye opener, and the perch and crappie spawn than trout season anymore. Always thought it was funny to see a bunch of grown men standing shoulder to shoulder casting at a ball of a thousand 8 inch fish that bite anything you throw at them. Though I do enjoy the finger lakes and lake ontario and its tribs fishing. Especially in the spring when they are shallow.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to the trout opener. Water could be in great shape if we don't get heavy rain between now and then. There surely won't be much of a snow melt runoff. I will choose to fish smaller streams, with no crowds. I'll work upstream with my Wynantskill Wimpf....and then work back down with my Royal Flashabou. Or, if I decide to go with my ultralite spinning gear, I will go with Berkley GULP maggots.

i only fish small streams the tout aren't big but no pepole

I'm with you Larry... most of the streams I fish have native brookies only and occasionally I'll catch a fat 10 incher with a hook jaw... and that is huge trophy in those streams... I take a pic of it and back in the water it goes

In my younger days I would hit opening day no matter what..But after 20+ years of "amature hour" I learned to wait a couple weeks. The crowd dies.. less non fishing types and morons who think they're the cats A$$ because they caught ( and kept) a bunch of 6" stockies.

BUT YEAH!! CANT WAIT!!

• Like 1

I would for years be out there on opening day in some cases with snow flying on the beaverkill. It must be youth losted as I now wait till the last week of APril by then the weather is warmer and first hatches on the water, also the water level in most winter would be lower from the snow melt off run... But not when you go toa pool on the beverkill and they stand arm to arm trying to get that fish to bite, across several poles.