Catfishing

Buckmaster7600

Anyone ever spend any time catfishing in New York? In the last few years I’ve caught some very nice catfish in some local lakes and on the Hudson River on accident. This spring I have spent some time actually targeting them and have been having a blast! The closest boat launch on the Hudson is 3 minutes from my house so it’s as handy as it gets. Biggest so far is 16lbs. From my research it should keep getting better as the water temp warms and the lay move into the channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Have caught some big ones out of Oneida lake and also in black River Bay where it empties into Ontario.  All have been incidental while fishing for walleye but they for sure can be targeted.  One time at black right River Bay my buddy got an 8lb walleye and I caught 4 big cats all in the same spot drifting worm harnesses. 

Got one in Oneida 4 years ago that was in the teens. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Anyone ever spend any time catfishing in New York? In the last few years I’ve caught some very nice catfish in some local lakes and on the Hudson River on accident. This spring I have spent some time actually targeting them and have been having a blast! The closest boat launch on the Hudson is 3 minutes from my house so it’s as handy as it gets. Biggest so far is 16lbs. From my research it should keep getting better as the water temp warms and the lay move into the channels.

We did a fair amount of catfishing in the spring. Usually starting a couple weeks ago through the 1st few weeks of June.  Our favorite go to spots were below  dams. 

I always got a kick out of a newby. They wouldn't take you seriously when you tell them to not leave their pole unattended. When they bite your pole just heads for the water. Lol

We never weighed them but caught many  30"-36"

Have you mastered the proper cleaning technique? 

I fish the lake Champlain international father's day tournament every year. ( LCI )

I've caught a 21+ lb cat. My buddy  has caught a 25+ lb cat IIRC. We won some money with the 21 lb cat I think around 2002? My buddies 25+ a few yrs ago didn't even place.  We've kept a few smaller cats to eat, and I'll never clean one again. Plain disgusting. 

However, if caught early spring, in Lake Champlain, there not bad.

• Like 1

Just now, mowin said:

I fish the lake Champlain international father's day tournament every year. ( LCI )

I've caught a 21+ lb cat. My buddy  has caught a 25+ lb cat IIRC. We won some money with the 21 lb cat I think around 2002? My buddies 25+ a few yrs ago didn't even place.  We've kept a few smaller cats to eat, and I'll never clean one again. Plain disgusting. 

However, if caught early spring, in Lake Champlain, there not bad.

Ha.ha.ha. that's what we thought for years. Tasted terrible!

They were so fun to catch we were determined to find a good recipe. We canned , smoked , brined, marinated in milk, grilled, etc... nothing was good unless you liked that pure fishy taste...

Finally an old time showed us how to clean them. They are great ! Especially cubed up , breaded and deep fried.. yummy morsels..

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ncountry said:

Ha.ha.ha. that's what we thought for years. Tasted terrible!

They were so fun to catch we were determined to find a good recipe. We canned , smoked , brined, marinated in milk, grilled, etc... nothing was good unless you liked that pure fishy taste...

Finally an old time showed us how to clean them. They are great ! Especially cubed up , breaded and deep fried.. yummy morsels..

What’s the secret to cleaning them?

We did a fair amount of catfishing in the spring. Usually starting a couple weeks ago through the 1st few weeks of June.  Our favorite go to spots were below  dams. 
I always got a kick out of a newby. They wouldn't take you seriously when you tell them to not leave their pole unattended. When they bite your pole just heads for the water. Lol
We never weighed them but caught many  30"-36"
Have you mastered the proper cleaning technique? 

I ain’t eating them, just something to do when I don’t have time to chase trout and salmon.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cynthiafu said:

We like black lake . If you can keep the bow fin away. There are some big ones there but the bow fin are fun to catch to

Definitely fun to catch. Here's a colorful one my cousin landed. 

IMG_20190616_083832437.jpg

10 hours ago, Versatile_Hunter said:

What’s the secret to cleaning them?

Depending on the size of the fish, you have to leave 1/8" of flesh/fat on the skin  when you fillet them. Afterwards cut the brown stripe that runs the length of the fillet  completely out. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ncountry said:

Depending on the size of the fish, you have to leave 1/8" of flesh/fat on the skin  when you fillet them. Afterwards cut the brown stripe that runs the length of the fillet  completely out. 

I've tried this exact technique. Didn't work. 

I've cleaned small ones and large ones. I'm thinking it's the muddy water they live in. 

Grew up fishing the Hudson used to be just white cats after the hurricane blew out the mohawk now it mostly channels the best bait we ever used is raw shrimp also spent plenty of time on Champlain definitely bigger there same bait we would bring home a couple hundred pounds yummy blackened catfish 

I've cleaned small ones and large ones. I'm thinking it's the muddy water they live in. 

I’ve eaten them out of some of the cleanest Adirondack lakes and still think they suck! It’s about the only thing I much prefer farm raised over wild.

2 hours ago, mowin said:

It may be ? I have only caught them May through maybe the 1st weekend of June.  May be a difference there too ? They have all been channel cats too.

12 minutes ago, ncountry said:

It may be ? I have only caught them May through maybe the 1st weekend of June.  May be a difference there too ? They have all been channel cats too.

One would think cooler water would help with taste and consistency over warm water.  Channel cats are what we catch in lake Champlain. A 20+ lber really puts up a tussle. 

• Like 1

Probably like with bullhead cooler water is preferred but I have found getting them on ice immediately is the key I stopped putting fish on stringers and in livewells a long time ago I bring big coolers full of ice also do same thing with panfish 

2 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’ve eaten them out of some of the cleanest Adirondack lakes and still think they suck! It’s about the only thing I much prefer farm raised over wild.

Caught a bunch of bull heads one time out a nice clear copy let Adirondack lake.  We were staying at a cabin and fishing for northern during the day. But threw a line out that Eve by the campfire and we caught a bunch of bullheads 8-12 inches.  Thought it was great. Cleaned them all up and they were terrible.  Lol.