Sacandaga Lake

2012_taco

Hey, I'm at Sacandaga Lake with my kayak and would like to do a little fishing.  Any suggestions as to what is biting(besides the black flies) and what bait/lures should I be using? Thanks for any advise. 

Ps. Keep it simply as I'm a novice when it comes to fishing! Lol

The smallmouth are plentiful, and should be biting good now up there. Use a rappala, or any minnow bait imitation, white curly tailed grub, or quarter ounce, white willow leaf spinnerbait. Look for the many submerged rock piles to throw your bait. Target water from shore, out to eight to ten feet deep. Good luck, and have fun!

Forgot to mention a Senko worm rigged wacky style (just hooked once through the middle, with a #2 worm hook) with no weight. Any color you have will work. Green pumpkin and black with blue flake are good ones for there though.

Edited by grampy

Always a fan of top water lures ,nothing beats a bass charging one of those.  What part of the lake.  

Couple buddies had luck last week by the batchellerville Bridge.  Stop by lanzies on the lake for food and drink 

Thanks for the info.  Internet connection is spotty at best here  so I haven't seen these posts until now. I fished with a 1/8 oz jig and twister worm/grub no luck. Tried a rooster tail no luck. We were camping at Moffitt Beach on Sacandaga Lake.

2 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

Thanks for the info.  Internet connection is spotty at best here  so I haven't seen these posts until now. I fished with a 1/8 oz jig and twister worm/grub no luck. Tried a rooster tail no luck. We were camping at Moffitt Beach on Sacandaga Lake.

Got any bucktail jigs ?   The 1/8 oz versions were working very well on smallmouths where we were over Memorial day weekend (NW corner of ADK park).

The water was crystal clear. I suppose that flourocarbon line was a big help (same refractive index as water and therefore invisible to fish).

Our daughters were catching them from the end of the dock, until they lost their first jigs and fluorocarbon leaders on snags.  No more action for them when they tied new jigs directly to the monofilament line on their push button reels.  

Our youngest paddled out on a kayak and got back into them when I handed her my ultralight spinning rod, loaded with 6 pound flourocarbon:

20210605_191245.jpg

20210530_173519.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

That's a nice little lake i plain to explore it a little more in the future.I was talking to a local kid at the boat ramp and he said worms where the way to go,stick baits worked but the fish where small.

I love that little lake and Moffitt's. My family's been going nearly every year for almost 70 years spanning 4 generations.  The lake is tough to fish from a boat because there are boulder fields. You'll be in 20 feet of water and then have a boulder the size of a house breaking the surface right in front of you. It's perfect for kayaks and canoes though. 

Here's my recommendation - There's a channel on the southeastern side of the lake that connects over to Lake Pleasant. The opening isn't obvious, and so it's easy to miss. Once you get back in there though, it's beautiful. My wife and I make it a point to paddle the channel every time we go. There may be some areas where you have to get out to walk the kayaks, but other areas are wide and deep and hold plenty of fish. I do the best with live bait on small hooks. I've caught lots of perch, small mouth and trout back in there.

There's a little bait shop / small boat mechanic shop on the right side of Rt 8 before you get to speculator. The guys in there are knowledgeable and friendly. If you're still in the area, it's worth a stop. The corner store at the corner of Paige St and Rt 8 is nice, but the staff don't fish. That store used to be Iggy's camp store that was located inside the park, but someone bought the old building and converted it to a private lakeside residence.

• Like 3

ive fished lake pleasant a bunch of times that is right across the rd and connected as bolt action said above but never in the Sacadaga itself, there but would guess some of the same species.  Ive caught a ton of nice smallmout in there along the islands. Throw spinners baits or senkos or shallow crankbaits.  Ive also caught a few walleye out of Pleasant.  Not a lot but a few on worm harnesses.  There was a boulder area in 19ft of water between the little marina/launch and the island that you see as soon as you launch.  

Also my former BIL used to fish out there for browns and rainbows using corn on floating jigheads with a sinker ahead of it about 24".  good luck let us knwo how you do. 

• Like 1