243 Win and Deer Huting

eagle rider

My father used a .243 for years and got a lot of deer with it. When he quit hunting he gave it to me and I have shot a couple with it. I never had an exit hole but was lucky enough that I never had one take a step after hit. I upgraded to a 30-06 this year but would feel fully confident in taking the .243 out. as a matter of fact i still took the .243 out a few time this past season

• Like 1

If the barrel you bought has a slower rate of twist designed to work well with lighter weight varmint bullets, you may not get good accuracy with bullets of 100 grains or more. Heavier bullets need a faster rate of twist to stabilize. Check the twist rate in the barrel if you want to use it on deer.

When hunting with a rifle I don't believe a blood trail is necessary anyways. Ive never had a deer go more then 40 yards or so. Even with a .243. Worry less about the caliber and more about the accuracy.

• Like 1

Same old argument...I could kill a deer or bear with a .22 LR if I put the right shot on them, no question in my mind. But things can go wrong, and often do. Why would you want to go into the woods under-gunned, unless you have a bad shoulder & can't handle the recoil?

I agree 100%. A 243 will kill deer but it is still a small bullet. The farmer I hunt with uses a 223, which is a round I would never consider. If low recoil is what you want, there are better rounds out there than 243. BUT if it's all you have ,it will work.... IMHO

Do any of you think that the NYSDEC promotes unethical hunting? It is legal to use "any centerfire rifle" for a reason (page 24, Implement Descriptions for Big Game Hunting in the prospectus).

The unethical part comes in if a hunter isn't aware of the ballistics of the particular firearm being used (i.e. shoots to far), is in denial about their own shooting abilities (takes a shot that it is unlikely to place their bullet where it needs to be from the particular shooting position they're using) or makes a poor choice on the shooting situation (i.e. uses a lighter caliber on a quartering toward animal which even with a large caliber magnum is a waste as it would destroy a lot of meat, confuses their firearm with a bush hog, etc.).

You double lung a deer with a 223, 243, 300 win magnum and you'll get the same result; dead deer not to far from where it was shot.

Do any of you think that the NYSDEC promotes unethical hunting? It is legal to use "any centerfire rifle" for a reason (page 24, Implement Descriptions for Big Game Hunting in the prospectus).

The unethical part comes in if a hunter isn't aware of the ballistics of the particular firearm being used (i.e. shoots to far), is in denial about their own shooting abilities (takes a shot that it is unlikely to place their bullet where it needs to be from the particular shooting position they're using) or makes a poor choice on the shooting situation (i.e. uses a lighter caliber on a quartering toward animal which even with a large caliber magnum is a waste as it would destroy a lot of meat, confuses their firearm with a bush hog, etc.).

You double lung a deer with a 223, 243, 300 win magnum and you'll get the same result; dead deer not to far from where it was shot.

I'd be careful giving the DEC too much credit. <grin> <LOL>!!!!

Other than that, I'd say your post is spot on. As always, its the bullet and placement that beats all.

I agree a double lung, with any round will result in a dead deer. But a double lung does not always mean the deer wont run a good distance before it gives up the ghost. Im sure im not the only one out there who has spent time looking for a deer that I knew was dead but lost the blood trail. Bigger bullet=more thump, more of a blood trail to follow. IMHO

• 1 month later...

Same old argument...I could kill a deer or bear with a .22 LR if I put the right shot on them, no question in my mind. But things can go wrong, and often do. Why would you want to go into the woods under-gunned, unless you have a bad shoulder & can't handle the recoil?

Some shooters indeed are undergunned with a .243. Some aren't. Some should probably take up golf instead.