I couldn't pass it up.....

Grizz1219

Well... As I've posted here.... I'm gonig to Africa trhis August for my honeymoon... Then got a hunt for moose in Newfoundland next October... Well, this past Saturday at my local NWTF banquet, I got a second Africa hunt for 2014 with the same PH I'm using this August. So any animals I can't swing this trip, I'll take in two years!!! We stole the hunt this time at the banquet, so I couldn't pass it up!!! Man, my next three years are booked with some great hunts!!!!

For Africa this August, I was planning on taking my T/C Pro Hunter in 30-06, but some friends at T/C are working to get me the new Dimension in 30-06 and a .338 win mag (Which there were only two barrels made in that caliber so far, not a production caliber yet), so if they can get me that gun I'll take that... The Moose and bear hunt in NFL will be with my pro hunter in 50 cal muzzle loader.. (I would take the dimension as a back up)... Then the next trip to Africa in 2014 will be with.... um... not sure yet.. LOL... I am flying high right now... Can't believe my good fortune... Going to ride it for as long as I can, I spent a lot of time at thew other end of the spectrum, so I feel I've earned this... ;-)

Was thinking the same... have a can of Blackhorn 209 and primers shipped to him... and then just bring speed loaders and some slugs and cleaning supplies and I would be set..... This is starting to develope nicley!!! LOL

and Thanks everyone!!!

• 2 months later...

how can you fly with your guns now a days

Walk in the airport and check your bags. B)

Serious; not all that hard. You have to make sure you follow a couple basic rules for locks and ammo, but nothing that difficult. There are a few rules that are slightly different depending on airline and destination, but a bit of reviewing the airlines, TSA, and destination country make it pretty simple really. I'm guessing over 20 times for me and I have never had a problem; but I've had to be "flexible" a few times when dealing with counter staff that doesn't know their own airline rules (that's been more overseas than here in the US)

On the blackpowder and substitutes in Africa......

You cannot ship OR carry BP on any commercial airliner....period. I do know folks who have travelled with blackpowder cartridges as loaded ammo and done OK. BUT you need to have the rifle in that cartridge with you when getting a permit in country. (some have tried carrying just loaded rounds to pull and transit powder that way) No loose primers either........

Namibia is a bit tough on BP supplies; but for SA you can pretty much get what you want. Remember their supply chain is slower, so I would be sure to connect early rather than later on what you need; and have access to options for possible loads as they tend not to have the newer cleaner powders we have yet in general.

Tim Herald who hunts for TC paid $1000 for a can of BP for flmed hunt 2 years ago by the time he was done with overseas shipping, IIRC. (he posts on another forum frequently)

Bullets for BP you're fine with as they will match your caliber.

Edited by Dinsdale