finally go the hunting handgun all finished

Finally got the barrel, permit, all stocked up and ready to go. It is a 308 winchester barrel and I have loaded some reduced recoil rounds to play with it a bit and get used to it. It is shooting great (little dirty burning but not too bad)

Shooting 130 gr bullets

first picture is at 100 yards the second is at 50 yards. The squares are 1" squares. I tried it out at 200 yards yesterday. i need a little better glass for that. THe drop on the round was 15" low at 200 yards. group was still good just pretty low.

post-152-0-47502600-1332767294_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-68299900-1332767305_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-03819100-1332767324_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-39669100-1332767331_thumb.jpg

post-152-0-84686600-1332767408_thumb.jpg

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 2

Very nice. Good grouping at that distance especialy for a handgun!!! You guys are really pushing me to get my permit with all these good posts... Between my back and the extra wieght of the back pack a handgun sounds much more hunter friendly for hiking... Best of luck with it Culvert!!!

Edited by NFA-ADK

I will have to look at that. I always thought the heavier bullets would develop a higher chamber pressure or at least require less powder to reach the same pressure. If that were true the 22-250 would have heavier recoil that the 260 or the 308...right?...lol

No, 22-250 isnt a necked down 308. Might have a tad more than the 250 Savage it came from though. ;)

My theory may be wrong.

Like I said, Ill be able to tell you after I shoot it lol.

Nice rig, Culver....

I think you made the right decision avoiding the brake.. I'd rather have a little more recoil than the extra muzzle blast.

She's a good shooter, for sure...Nice groups.

Personally, I like the laminate.. Much more attractive than a piece of plastic, in my opinion.

Of course, you know what they say about opinions.....<< GRIN >>....

Edited by Pygmy

I like the laminate too. Especially since I already had the rifle forearm and then the grip popped up for sale in the matching color. Was Karma...lol. A little modification of the hole spacing and hole depth, addition of another swivel stud and it was ready to go. I did find a website that sells these stocks just bout like I have in all kinds of custom color combinations. Would have run me over 200 buck for the set. I have about 100 into it.

At the range the tables at the rifle targets are under a pavillion. I was in plugs and muffs and glad I was....with no brake. I woulnd't want to shoot a brake under there if other folks were shooting. One guy had this AK loking thing there with a brake. standing...freehand..way too fast on the trigger....shooting at 200 yard targets. He had to go through a couple hundred rounds. I checked in my spotting scope and all he did was add weight to the berm so it wouldn't blow away...lol. but that thing was like a cannon going off under there. made me flinch a couple times while shooting.

Oh...and as a matter or range etiquette....is you are shooting a semi auto....use a brass catcher or at least offer to move to the far right station (for right handed shooters of course)

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

but that thing was like a cannon going off under there. made me flinch a couple times while shooting.

Wait till you get some of the guys out there with their 30-06 braked rifles they use for filling nuisance permits. You want to talk about loud? Ive seen a few there with 50s before as well. Just walk away at that point if noise bothers ya lol.

• 2 weeks later...