Lawn mowing/cutting grass

Dom

Should be interesting to see how many folk,s dont mow this season.With gas prices so high I would bet alot wont get cu t all.Any of you all still have a reel tipe mower,no matter the cost i will be keeping my lawn mowed.

For the amount of gas it takes to mow my 2 acres and the fun I get out of using my zero turn green machine...I am not worrying about it.

I worry more about gas use in my truck than my mower.

Those zero-turn mowers are a lot of fun, aren't they? At least for a part of the season.

I guess I don't really worry too much about the cost of the gas because it really doesn't use that much of it. I have to keep mine mowed pretty regularly (at least once a week) or it gets so high and thick that it starts to be a bit abusive on the equipment. I have about 4 acres to mow, but with that zero turn, it goes pretty fast. I kind of rip around the place pretty quick and it's kind of like a sports vehicle .... lol. Toward the end of the summer it loses some of the novelty and starts to get to be a chore.

I hate cutting a lawn; thankfully I live in the woods. More than 15 or 20 minutes with the weedeater once a week....... gets wacked with roundup.

I don't even own a lawn mower. LOL

I have a 1000' driveway that gets mowed on both sides with a DR Trimmer a couple times each year. With steep sided ditches that gets to be quite a workout. The strips that I keep wacked down are 10 to 20 feet wide. But it helps keep this old-guy in shape.....lol. I spent a lot of time hand cutting all the brush and rose bushes out of there and I'll be darned if I'm going to let that all grow back in. It looks pretty neat when its all trimmed up. kind of like a park road.

If I do not mow the lawn, the village I live in does and charges me 50 bucks. So I will mow it with the rider, use the push mower and weed eater all summer. I will also ride my 4 wheeler plant food plots and drive to camp as much as I want

Edited by bubba

I will also be riding the John Deere and mowing my acre of lawn. I will also be using my log splitter and chain saw to get my firewood and my quad to move it in and out of the woods. I will cut back on useless travel with my truck and I will shoot more in the back yard at my 3D glendale full rut buck then I do at the archery clubs. Or I will meet friends and we will drive to shoots together. But doing the lawn is a must. I like the way my yard looks and will not let it go. And I sure as heck will not be pushing a reed mower, too old and fat for that.

After I had knee replacement a couple years ago I bought a Troy Build 48" 17 HP rider . It has a Koehler engine and the damn oil seals leak . I rigged some metal so it wouldn't leak on the exhaust and periodically add some engine oil stop leak . It doesn't leak too much but just enough to be bothersome .

Anyway , no one wants to see a crappy looking lawn and I consider it an investment .

My lawn is very hardy and keeps the green long after everyone else's is burned up by the late summer heat. It consists mostly of native weeds which grow some real good deep roots ..... lol. If I ever put any weed killer on my lawn, I would kill the whole thing.

Gotta keep the lawn cut. Normally I cut the front while the kid cuts the back. It dosent take long. Maybe 1/2 hour. I have clay here too. Try some lime. it helpped my lawn alot, but you might see any results till next year.

Whats wrong wth Bud Lite??

Z-turn is the way to go we're on our second one. The first was a Dixon ZTR 42" that cut our mow time way down from the garden tractor. It had a cone drive system that went bad. I have a friend that was downsizing his lanscaping business so I bought his Exmark Lazer Z 60"

I made the mistake 1 time,to use the weed and feed on my lawn here at the house.Damn if it was the biggest mistake I ever did with my grass.It got rid of the weeds and unwanted grass types real well,that is the only GOOD thing that came of it.BUT.....the good grass grew so dark,lush and fast....I had to cut it every other day for the season and into the fall.Maybe I over did it,I dunno,but never again.

Not even April and cut mine twice.Will need to mow again bythe weekend,looking good.About time to get riding mower still cut mine with 24 inc psh mower,great exercise so no need for Budlite just regular for me.Happy cutting to all

• 3 weeks later...

So how is the grass cutting benn for you all.My lawn is looking real good so far,hope we get some rain soon.All flower's that should be blooming have allready.Even have bleeding heart's this early.About 1 month ahead of norm.