New Bow Hunter - Advice Welcomed

heavuser

Today my bow basically fell apart on me :/

Shot about 100 or so arrows when they started to fly to the right. Adjusted my sight, didn't help. When I went to nock an arrow I noticed the fletching touching the bow strings. The string guard and whisker biscuit were basically about to fall off the bow..... 

Shop guy told me I'm either the luckiest guy in the world or the unluckiest, lol. 

Question for ya'll, after this I don't feel confident in this bow at all. Could there be something wrong with it or do you think once its put back together its good to use?

Edited by heavuser

8 minutes ago, heavuser said:

Today my bow basically fell apart on me :/

Shot about 100 or so arrows when they started to fly to the right. Adjusted my sight, didn't help. When I went to notch an arrow I noticed the fletching touching the bow strings. The string guard and whisker biscuit were basically about to fall off the bow..... 

Shop guy told me I'm either the luckiest guy in the world or the unluckiest, lol. 

Question for ya'll, after this I don't feel confident in this bow at all. Could there be something wrong with it or do you think once its put back together its good to use?

What happened things just loosened up? String stop is what you mean? I would shoot the bow and just check the screws to make sure stuff isn't loosening up again.

4 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

What happened things just loosened up? String stop is what you mean? I would shoot the bow and just check the screws to make sure stuff isn't loosening up again.

That's exactly what happened, all the screws loosed up. String Stop/Stabilizer, whisker biscuit, and the Cable Rob/Slide. The whisker biscuit is just dangling at the moment. I was going to take it back to the shop since I figured once everything was back together it would have to be tuned, no?

Should there be blue Loctite on these screws?

9 minutes ago, heavuser said:

That's exactly what happened, all the screws loosed up. String Stop/Stabilizer, whisker biscuit, and the Cable Rob/Slide. The whisker biscuit is just dangling at the moment. I was going to take it back to the shop since I figured once everything was back together it would have to be tuned, no?

Should there be blue Loctite on these screws?

It seems odd that all those things loosened up. Usually you don't need  loctite on the screws.  There must be quite a bit vibration to loosen all those things up.The whisker biscuit needs to be in the right spot left to right, I assume the height doesn't adjust. I had one and the cheaper model doesn't adjust up and down.

It seems like a good idea to take it back to the shop and have them check everything out. The only thing I ever had that loosened up some was the string stop.

It seems odd that everything that could loosen did just that on your bow.

7 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

It seems odd that all those things loosened up. Usually you don't need  loctite on the screws.  There must be quite a bit vibration to loosen all those things up.The whisker biscuit needs to be in the right spot left to right, I assume the height doesn't adjust. I had one and the cheaper model doesn't adjust up and down.

It seems like a good idea to take it back to the shop and have them check everything out. The only thing I ever had that loosened up some was the string stop.

It seems odd that everything that could loosen did just that on your bow.

How do you think I feel, part of me thinks the guy over at the shop thinks I'm lying.... 

At the same time though, who the hell would take apart a bow and complain about it... lol

Edited by heavuser

2 minutes ago, heavuser said:

This shop came highly recommended and have been great so far. I'm thinking maybe its something with the bow?

I know your new , but did you happen to notice if the bow seemed to vibrate in your hand after shooting a arrow ? 

7 minutes ago, heavuser said:

If it was, it was nothing major that made me think anything was wrong.

Did the bow seem get louder on the shot ? Like you could hear everything vibrating loose ? I hate to say it but the guy who set up you’re bow did not do a good job .

Edited by rob-c

10 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

What bow did you buy?
I can't believe all those things loosened up at once. Was the tech who installed everything experienced?
Got any pics?

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Bowtech Carbon Zion. I'm not sure who did the install to be honest, there were multiple people working at the shop. Will take a picture tonight. I left the bow as is as I dont want to to touch it.

There is no possible way I could have caused this by shooting for a few hours... is there?

Edited by heavuser

22 minutes ago, rob-c said:

Did the bow seem get louder on the shot ? Like you could hear everything vibrating loose ? I hate to say it but the guy who set up you’re bow did not do a good job .

I honestly don't know. I was so focused on figuring out why my shots we arcing to the right.

This shop came highly recommended and have been great so far. I'm thinking maybe its something with the bow?

That’s crazy man, and I am sorry that it came from a place I (and Biz and chef) recommended. I will say however that I hoped for you to see Dave who you said left the shop. Now I need to find a new shop or track him down again!!! Sounds like human error to me on the part of the guy who put your bow together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Whoever put your bow accessories on the bow, never bothered, or forgot to tighten everything down. The bow itself is fine. Just need to have everything tightened up, and retuned. You should be good to go after that. A reputable shop would have never let that bow out the door like that. But mistakes do happen I guess.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, crappyice said:

That’s crazy man, and I am sorry that it came from a place I (and Biz and chef) recommended. I will say however that I hoped for you to see Dave who you said left the shop. Now I need to find a new shop or track him down again!!! Sounds like human error to me on the part of the guy who put your bow together

Sheet happens, I actually asked for Dave. They told me he was no longer with them.

I would take it back and have them put it back together and make it right. I doubt it was the bow and possibly a one off mistake by the shop.

Human error can happen at least give them a chance.

I’ve seen a ATV roll over with the bow on the front rack and the bow came out unharmed. They are tough SOB’s so I wouldn’t worry about the bow itself.

47 minutes ago, Moho81 said:

I would take it back and have them put it back together and make it right. I doubt it was the bow and possibly a one off mistake by the shop.

Human error can happen at least give them a chance.

I’ve seen a ATV roll over with the bow on the front rack and the bow came out unharmed. They are tough SOB’s so I wouldn’t worry about the bow itself.

100%, I'm not pissed in anyway, more shocked that it's this easy for a bow to fall apart.... Good to know there should be no damage though.

28 minutes ago, cdbing said:

If the shop was busy, maybe the tech did not tighten everything. I would take it back to the shop. That would be a good test of whether the shop does right by you.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I'm going to bring it by tomorrow, I'm sure they will make it right. All my impressions of them so far has been they are good people.

23 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Terrible outcome. Did you shoot the Bow before leaving the shop. The aforementioned “Dave” had me shoot a bunch before I left

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I did, close to 2 dozen times. When I got it home I took around 100 shots before it started to come apart. 

Edited by heavuser
  • Like 1

I did, close to 2 dozen times. When I got it home I took around 100 shots before it started to come apart. 

So did the bow fall apart or did the accessories just come loose?

Also I don’t know where you live but in the westchester area they were my preferred shop I absolutely hate extreme.

B and B archery in Middletown is great

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chef said:

So did the bow fall apart or did the accessories just come loose?

Also I don’t know where you live but in the westchester area they were my preferred shop I absolutely hate extreme.

B and B archery in Middletown is great

The accessories were coming loose.

I live in New Windsor area, maybe ill check out B and B next time.

Ok that is completely less catastrophic than a actual bow falling apart. I’m shocked it didn’t move while they sighted you in at the shop

Ok that is completely less catastrophic than a actual bow falling apart. I’m shocked it didn’t move while they sighted you in at the shop