St. Lawrence county (cranberry lake)

I’ve recently been looking for a large tract’s of land in NYS(1000 acres plus), mostly the northern part for a timber investment. Obviously a secondary use for property would be to grow and hold large bucks. In recent days I’ve found a few hopeful tract's one in particular stands out. the million dollar question is what are the potential for bucks in the area? Ive heard conflicting stories on different sites some good, some bad… 

Other questions i have for fellow members are what type of plots have you had success for up in the northern part of the state ( early,  mid and late). I have ideas as far as food plot trees ( apples, pears, walnuts and of course oaks) i also have plans for clear cuts for new growth and hinge cuts for bedding etc. there’s currently a few spring fed ponds for water next to potential food plot/bedding sites.

any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated 

• Like 1

would be real sure of being able to log there. Lots of crazy laws in the dacks.  Have heard for northern zone that parts of ST lawrence county hold better deer numbers than a lot of northern zone but guess it would depend on the location.  I would think if you build it they will come but might be a long project there as opppsed to starting in southern zone with existing AG, more deer numbers and easier winters.  Good luck .  Would love to hear how it goes 

15 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

I would look to another state first, and then if your still hung up on NY …I would look for land in the southern Tier west of I81

Why another state he said his main concern was timber investment, hard to beat price per acre up that way plus the mature hardwoods and the large acreage he's looking for, Would agree with you if his main goal was deer then southern tier western part of state

Edited by land 1

Beautiful up in that area. With that size of chunk I bet you could pull and hold some nice deer. Just need to mitigate with the possible snowfall with cover and food sources. And a good dose of yote control. Though bears my take more fawns than yotes up there. 

15 minutes ago, Trial153 said:

APA permits alone would keep me from medium size timber stand investment in the Adirondack park.

I'm not sure on all the specifics or how much things have changed over the years , but there are 10s if not 100s of thousands of acres being actively logged everyday within the park. It's been 20 years but we logged a small parcel (15 acres) within the park and it didn't require any special permits..

North of rt 3 , what I'm fairly familiar with, is mostly all logging territory..

Edited by ncountry

I'm not sure on all the specifics or how much things have changed over the years , but there are 10s if not 100s of thousands of acres being actively logged everyday within the park. It's been 20 years but we logged a small parcel (15 acres) within the park and it didn't require any special permits..
North of rt 3 , what I'm fairly familiar with, is mostly all logging territory..

Under 25 acres I believe you don’t need a permit from the APA , you might need a state permit if you have to cross a water coarse.

Either way there are hoops to jump though.
There are a ton of commodity related blogs that can help you with timberland values Ect…. Anyone should do there homework.
  • Like 1

At our camp, we do well with wheat and rye obviously and also brassica mixes. Radish, turnip we’re only starting to get touched other than the tops by the time the season ended this year. We are in Lewis County. 
We have tried clover and while it grows great, the deer barely touch it. We do not know why that is. 

• Like 1