Track ID help

Water Rat

It's a fisher I've been watching one feast on a deer carcass for a month now.I've learned quite a bit about there behavior.There a very curious animal and although I never trapped one I don't think it would be very hard.There omnivores I have an area where I throw my table scraps and it eats everything from fruit and veggies to meat and bones.The only thing it or any animal won't touch is an onion.
91f0f215d273fe30bdd3618f5c4c2c07.jpg

I found some more fisher tracks but this time they were well defined. I never found their tracks in southern Dutchess County until this month. I did however trap one years ago in Ulster County using a leaning pole set. They are cool critters with an interesting reproductive cycle.

IMG_2120.thumb.PNG.6e0e2aadc81cdd95de376861b460efb9.PNG379066974_IMG_2121(1).thumb.jpg.fa14b3b58232d2ec1c5de8442220bcd5.jpg

They are beyond the Southertier.Their population has boomed as good as the otter did.

When you say “as good as” is that a good thing? Seems like a cool animal and I wound enjoy seeing one while hunting but does it/will it have a costly impact to the ecosystem? I imagine Turkey eggs would be a dandy treat for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 minutes ago, crappyice said:

When you say “as good as” is that a good thing? Seems like a cool animal and I wound enjoy seeing one while hunting but does it/will it have a costly impact to the ecosystem? I imagine Turkey eggs would be a dandy treat for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a trapper ,i love it .As far as otter go,we won’t see a season probably ever ,too many politics involved ,science does not matter when it comes to that situation and this state .Huge predator to the trout streams I’ll add .And there is no shortage all over WNY.

As far as Fisher go ,Turkey have an uphill battle to begin with ,just add another hurdle to the equation .They need balance like anything else .In the past few years ,their population has exploded immensely.Proof from boots on the ground ,not a fancy degree .

They are cool critters ,it’s nice to be able to enjoy all different species while in the woods .