ML Deer Season History

nyslowhand

Any of you relics, other than myself remember ions ago when Muzzleloader season ran with the Archery season?

This was pre-ML inlines and maybe in the early 70's....?

See there is talk about adding a primitive (patched round ball with flintlock or percussion) season.

Seen a couple of different proposals, last week of September for anterless deer only.

Other one was week before gun season for what I believe to be either sex.

Any of you traditionalists up for this special season???

Maybe I need to dust off my TC Renegade?

The ole boy was replace by my Triumph with a scope.

Do you recall the concurrent seasons?

All I need is the FFF powder.  Haven't shot the gun in a few years, a 50cal. T/C Hawken flintlock.

I'd welcome it in early October although it would be quite a challenge with all the foliage. 

The past couple years I've gone to PA for the early antlerless deer season.  We camp out and have had a great time.  Oh, any muzzle loader is legit also.

Such a nice time of the year..........................

CIMG0233.jpg

CIMG0235.jpg

Flintlock, from what I hear, takes dedication and is almost an art.

Once you get to caps, whether sidelock or inline, ignition is more of a given and far easier to learn and get proficient. My thoughts are keep it primitive to lesson impact and have a better chance of getting the season.

I am not speaking from experiance other then having several 11 cap inlines. But my understanding is in Pa, the numbers where stable for a long time when it was flinter only.

Maybe we are not understanding each other?

Percussion cap or caplock have generally been grouped with flintlocks as primitive.

Caplock rifles were developed in the 1840s. Rifles such as the Hawken and others.

Is this not correct guys?

Inlines using #11 cap or 209 shotgun primers are a modern muzzleloader type.

Primitive muzzleloader season would require a primitive rifle using a patched round ball.

I do understand your point about flintlocks!

From what I've seen nothing is going to happen if people don't write letters. These have to contain one simple message that do not conflict or have their own personal views and morals attached to them.

I recieved a total of 1 hand written and 3 emails on the proposed early SZ ML season.

Slowhand..There was NEVER a muzzleloader season concurrent with the  early bow season, at least not in the southern zone...It may have happened in the northern zone, that's not my baliwick.... It was in the early 70s when muzzleloading rifles ( and handguns, .35 cal or larger) were first legalized for deer in the southern zone, but it was only in the shotgun season... Eventually the muzzleloaders were allowed in the late season, after shotgun season ended...

If an early season is instituted, I'm all ready for it, with the only front loader I have ever used, my 1973 vintage TC Hawken .50 cal. fitted with a tang peep sight, cuz my old eyes don't work too well with regular v-notch open sights anymore... Peep sight still works fine, tho.....

Pygmy:

Thought there was an early concurrent season with archery - guess I didn't recall correctly.

Yeah, I have problems with open sights also. That's why I had to retire my TC Renegade.

Peep sights work for you, have to take a look at this option.

Bpb:

Never been a letter writer, so other than Legislators- Who should get these letters showing support?

I'm never above asking a stupid question, so why would you get these letters of support as you mentioned?

nyslowhand,

When you write your letters on sportsmen's issues send a copy to the DEC commissioner. That way your covered on both ends.

At the moment all letters for the crossbow,trap tag I.D. number & snapping turtle hunting should go to the Governor as the bills are sitting on his desk.

Your letters do not have to be long nor quote the constitution.

Just state "you'd like the opportunity to hunt in warm weather with your muzzleloader".

Flintlocks out of the ones I've shot, after a few fired rounds. I don't even notice the extra split second follow through time. A properly tuned lock will fire fast.

Sept 5&6 we have a shoot at the Elbridge gun club just east of Weedsport. Actucally the club is in Jordan on Laird road.

Slowhand...Last I knew, TC was still making aftermarket tang peep sights for thier sidelock guns like my Hawken and your Renegade...

I sure like mine... I opened the aperature up to make the peep bigger...Makes a very quick and accurate sighting system.. I think I shoot it better OFFHAND than I do even my scope sighted rifles.. Probably because the traditional style  muzzleloaders were designed for off hand shooting..

Are we still referring to a special season for flintlock or caplock or matchlock rifles with patched round ball and open sights? ???

This was the original topic/subject.

Agreed! The current ML season for all ML rifle styles is fine after the regular season!

Are we still referring to a special season for flintlock or caplock or matchlock rifles with patched round ball and open sights? ???

Agreed! The current ML season for all ML rifle styles is fine after the regular season!

Sorry my fingers get ahead of my brain and I didn't finish my response and posted it anyways lol.  I would support a truly traditional season (no inlines, or capguns).  I saw mention of capguns being considered traditional? Whats the thinking about that?  I usually think of a traditional muzzle loader as one with a flint?? 

CNY

Sorry my fingers get ahead of my brain and I didn't finish my response and posted it anyways lol.  I would support a truly traditional season (no inlines, or capguns).  I saw mention of capguns being considered traditional? Whats the thinking about that?  I usually think of a traditional muzzle loader as one with a flint?? 

CNY

I agree with CNY - caps where a huge step forward in learning,curve, reliability, and ease of use.

As were flintlocks an improvement over the matchlock and fussil.

Where do you draw the line in the sand?

That's a whole other discussion!!

Anyone follow other ML forums? What's the discussion between flintlock & caplock users?

I own a caplock and if it were eventually determined that flintlocks are only to be used during a special season, great for the flinters!!

Can still use my caplock or in-line during the other season(s).