Deer in Huntington LI

NFA-ADK

I love watching them too...we have a house in Vermont and see them there frequently...but I have never seen one this big. In Vermont they are very skittish....if the floor board creaks they run...this one was very comfortable...noises didn't scare him at all. I'll let you know if I see any more.

Wow he looks like a stud! Thank you so much for sharing!!! You made my day!!! I have been trying to get back into the park to just look at the deer,(and prove to myself they are thier) I love watching them!!! My co-workers hike in the park and tell me thier are NO deer in it!!! Thanks for the picture and proof they exist in that area!!! You rock!!! :fan:

they think your going to go shoot them thats why they tell you there isn't any in the park

they think your going to go shoot them thats why they tell you there isn't any in the park

My co-workers know I am a true mature deer hunter and consider hunting on LI less of a challenge compaired to the ADK and they know I have never hunted LI. They understand my fear of Ticks and lyme too...

They have been hiking in WestHills park for years and have never seen deer and tell me they are not in the park. I tried to explain when they are hiking in the park the deer are usually sleeping or hiden in an area they can not see from the trails. Most that know me well understand I do not just shoot anything, I have used 3 tags since 1988 and it is not because I dont see deer it's because I only shoot bucks that I want. And while LI has some huge wall hangers, it's not the same as a deep woods buck... I would not trade any one of my two ADK bucks over any LI deer, the feeling of accomplishment is amazing and I just don't think I would have that same feeling with a LI buck. Not that I will never hunt LI or be challenged by it's deer, I have been debating it this year as the close ride is very tempting but again my co-workers that know me understand how I love to watch and observe deer more than kill them... If I was into killing or meat I would have many more deer under my belt!!! Not that I do not like meat, I just usually get it to go... If I start cooking may be I will hunt more for food...

I love watching them too...we have a house in Vermont and see them there frequently...but I have never seen one this big. In Vermont they are very skittish....if the floor board creaks they run...this one was very comfortable...noises didn't scare him at all. I'll let you know if I see any more.

THANKS!!!

Funny how they are not afraid of people here on LI in many area's. A product of thier environment... Another reason I do not consider them as much of a challenge. If I can all most pet them, whats the point of shooting them... Again the challenge is a big part of my hunting experience...

Not that LI deer are not skitish when hunted it's just that a deer that does not see people often wants nothing to do with them usually more than our LI deer who are naturalized to people.

Same thing happens upstate in area's where deer and people have extended contact. Another reason I do not usually hunt near towns... Those deer are use to seeing people, yet when you enter thier woods they seem to know something is up... I figure if deer were never hunted they would never worry about hunters like many LI deer yet if you have been stalked or shot at by a hunter like many upstate deer have they make sure to keep clear of all humans at any cost... Predation on LI is null giving the deer even less to worry about... At least as an adult.

• 1 month later...

There are deer in West Hills Park. I lived there for 30 years behind Mc Donalds and never ever seen a deer or any sign. A month ago my mother sent me a video of 3 does eating her hostas.Another sighting, I now live in East Northport and a neighbor told me she saw a doe on her front lawn 2 weeks ago,she is pushing 75, and I asked her if she knew what a deer looked like,almost got smacked for that comment! Will try to post video soon Check out Tree Stand Buddy.com

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

That is part of West Hills Park, same area of discussion but on the south side of Northern State Parkway.  No hunting in this area yet.  It is possible they might start to open some area's once they get more overpopulated. 

I saw a deer on Mt. Misery Rd at a friends house. He has 4 acres. Can I hunt there during bow season? It's Suffolk county, but right on the boarder of Nassau ?

That is part of West Hills Park, same area of discussion but on the south side of Northern State Parkway.  No hunting in this area yet.  It is possible they might start to open some area's once they get more overpopulated.

Even on private property? North side of the parkway... How can they stop you during open season?

• 1 month later...

A little update.

I heard in the past that deer were spotted by the farms on Pulaski Road in Huntington.  Well the other day I was going to work and made a right onto westbound Pulaski Road from Oakwood Road.  Just past the little farm stand Kerber's (which has an amazing cheddar cheese ham and egg biscuit) I saw three bucks on the front lawn of the house immediately next to Kerbers.

I stopped and turned around to make sure and yup three bucks.  First one had a very large body (at least 3 years old) and already had velvet antlers about the length of his ears and already branching.  Second one was a big spike in velvet (probably 4 inches) and last one was a yearling buck.

The woods on both sides of Pulaski over there before the  nursery are so thick and come right up to the road side that it is just a matter of time before one gets hit.   

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

If you have enough land and it becomes legal I will buy you a coffee maker!  I have plenty of good shooters that love venison, myself included!

you can shoot them in my yard in Smithtown pretty much every morning.  Just bring coffee for me.   :rolleyes:

I have a local doe in my area, looks like she was kicked out, dispersal possibly.  If she survives the vehicles I might have a local herd!   Too cool! 

I have not been or hunted the Island for many years but I have seen some pretty impressive deer taken there . One was a nice 8 pointer dressed out at 250 pounds , shot with a bow and took the hunter almost a year to pattern it's route. Another was a 10 pointer which was seen by many hunters on private property and these hunters hunted all over the country not just L.I. ,Estimated live weight , many pictures and vid's. were taken of it , for at least 3 years, then it suddenly dissapered.Some think it was Jacked. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few people in Huntington who have spotted a deer, most recently by the starbucks on 110. With all the construction going on by the Northern state I am not surprised... I have heard of deer in Northport, yet that is not that far from Eatons neck which is filled with monster deer... I am pretty sure this deer came from Bethpage State park. I am not sure about shooting in a tournament this weekend due to rain so If I do not do the tourney I will try and find tracks or some other sign. Never though I would be tracking deer in my home town as they have not been around for 30+ years... Hopefully pics to follow... Just like tracking in the ADK some times you only have one set to follow...

If it was by the Rt 110 Starbucks (between Northern State and LIE) it would have come from West Hills Park. There are a few deer in there (...from what I have been told. Spent plenty of time in/near that park and never saw one). Anything out of Bethpage would have to make it up through Trail View State Park and then over/under the expressway to get to that Starbucks.

I would almost guarantee no deer in Bethpage State Park. Plenty of red tail hawk, fox, possum, raccoon... never saw any deer sign on those trails. South of the LIE there isn't any habitat left.