new strategy

bubba

Ok I am going to try something silly today. Yesterday after hunting I came home changed clothes and took some toys to the range to include my new ruger 40 s&w compact. But that is another story. On my way to the range about 11AM there were gobblers in groups in three different fields in the 15 mile drive. I am thinking I am going to go around 9 :30 or so and just set up on the edge of the meadow at camp and sit tight until noon. No calling or anything, just sit and wait. If nothing then nothing. Plus I slept in until 7 today lol.

sounds like a good strategy to me. Kids were waitin for the bus 10 minutes ago, and they about peed their pants in excitement when they were trying to tell me a "whole bunch" of turkeys just crosd thru my yard and into the state forest across the road. I should try the same thing, and try to shoot, who cares if it hurts.

If I don't get them right off the roost, I find have better luck from 9 - noon. Seems the hens are sitting and the Toms are moving. I walk and call and when they answer, they seem to come in quicker than in the early morning too. Good Luck. I finally get to go tomorrow morning...

That's a plan Bubba...I just got in we had a hell of a storm last night...sure many of you got that one WOW...I actually thought the birds might be vocal like on opening morning after that storm...not one single peep...I did manage to call in several single hens over the course of 4hrs and one red fox ...not a peep out of them either...also had two buck come in this a.m....would have been in gun not bow range :D And because of being late forgot the cam...but 3yrs and found out I have video on my phone!!...I'm such a Techy...lol...so got video of one hen....hhmm now how to get it out of phone to PC :fie: ....GOOD LUCK

• Like 1

Not my style. I'd much rather run & gun looking for the right bird on the right day. I understand sometimes a different strategy is what it takes to close the deal but if he's not gobbling at all and your just going to sit tight and not call, where is the fun in that?

Spring turkey is all about a gobbling turkey and a calling hunter. Sometimes one without the other but never without both. YMMV................

well I certainly apologize that my strategy does not meet your definition of hunting. However it does meet mine, and I have been seeing birds regularly. And I guess my definition is the only one that matters to me. The "fun" in it is being out there enjoying nature and my time there with just me and my thoughts. Killing a bird is the secondary part of a true hunt.

• Like 1

The "fun" in it is being out there enjoying nature and my time there with just me and my thoughts. Killing a bird is the secondary part of a true hunt.

Well said...

Now we're on the subject....I hear the "run and gun" phrase all the time...different forums...states...I can see it in vast state forests but don't most ppl hunt the small sectioned wood lots a farms around the state? and with every thing posted up tight...how much "running" can you do?...Then besides being dangerous....isn't ...hhhmm.... lack of a better term...Rude to other turkey hunters?

Edited by growalot

well I certainly apologize that my strategy does not meet your definition of hunting. However it does meet mine, and I have been seeing birds regularly. And I guess my definition is the only one that matters to me. The "fun" in it is being out there enjoying nature and my time there with just me and my thoughts. Killing a bird is the secondary part of a true hunt.

Apology excepted.

plus I read sit and call not stalk is the recommended way to hunt. But I know rules only apply to some. And BTW my apology was facetious in nature. (that means it was sarcastic) (that means it was not a real apology) I expected even you would figure that out. I know why I made an idiots list now.

Edited by bubba

Well said...

Now we're on the subject....I hear the "run and gun" phrase all the time...different forums...states...I can see it in vast state forests but don't most ppl hunt the small sectioned wood lots a farms around the state? and with every thing posted up tight...how much "running" can you do?...Then besides being dangerous....isn't ...hhhmm.... lack of a better term...Rude to other turkey hunters?

Maybe I should call it walk & call? When I'm hunting a spring gobbler, I'd really like to hear a gobble. Matching "wits" with an adult gobbler by callin is what it is all about to ME. If a guy wants to sit and ambush a silent gobbler with no calling from either the guy/gal or the turkey isn't spring turkey hunting. End of story. Sorry to offend.

Plenty of state land for "walking & calling". Plenty of large tracts of private land to hunt with permission.

Why in the hell would it be dangerous? Who is hunting hens? I call as much like a raspy old hen as possible, I'm not gobbling. I'd worry more about all the guys using decoys of GOBBLERS more than a guy walking & calling.

Rude to other hunters? If a guy is working a bird, I'm gone. Generally it's pretty easy to tell if a guy is working a bird. I worrry more about all the "stalking" turkey hunters. You know, the ones that can't call or don't know how to call that figure they can just sneak in on a Tom. (and all they are doing is stalking a hen call, then they see a decoy................)

Be afraid of them.........

plus I read sit and call not stalk is the recommended way to hunt. But I know rules only apply to some. And BTW my apology was facetious in nature. (that means it was sarcastic) (that means it was not a real apology) I expected even you would figure that out. I know why I made an idiots list now.

Maybe you should get off the couch and get into the field bubba. You'll learn more from that then reading your dog eared copy of Field & Stream.

Put me at the top of your list. :rolleyes:

Apology excepted.

just as an fyi it would be accepted excepted would me something entirely different. I would explain to you, but sometimes it is better to look it up yourself. You learn that way.

Maybe you should get off the couch and get into the field bubba. You'll learn more from that then reading your dog eared copy of Field & Stream.

Put me at the top of your list. :rolleyes:

actually you are number two. I am in the field a lot in fact I am going shortly. What are you doing today except looking like a fool? And I read sit and call in the New York State Hunting regulations guidelines book. You should open a copy sometime. There are pictures in it too. I also teach it at classes. Maybe a refresher would help you. Now you go back in the box because your attempts to be a bad a- - are not working and are quite frankly boring. Bye bye

Edited by bubba

Like Lawdwaz, I like to run 'n gun. I hunt a lot on State land, and I plan my gun 'n run routes to be well away from commonly hunted roads and trails. And, yes, I occasionally gobble; it has worked several times in the past. Another "trick" I use is to backtrack along a run 'n gun route; I often pick up silent birds that I failed to connect with on my original trip through.

Hunt the way you want, fellas.....Just be safe & have fun!

• Like 1

Rude to other hunters? If a guy is working a bird, I'm gone. Generally it's pretty easy to tell if a guy is working a bird.

I'd agree on that for the ppl that really can't call but ie...someone on this forum mentioned calling in an older hunter ...and I've called in several hunters over the years...usually then I'm seeing their back sides once I let them know I'm there...and several times had guys come in and go after the Toms I have answering me...I'd bet money several have had that happen to them as well...But that was not a dig at you just a simple question as to run and gun....Road warriors down at camp are what scare me...several have stopped and gotten out of there trucks to come in to my calling...It got so bad I built a blind near the road. to avoid getting shot...when they slow down...... I say keep moving or cough...usually I then hear "Oh sh-T! and they speed off...lol

This will be my last post on this thread, I promise.

Bubba, if you (or certainly anyone else) want to read a terrific book, pick up a copy of "Spring Turkey HUnting" The Serious Hunter's Guide, by John M. McDaniel. I got it in 1990 and it is beat up good. During some of those frustrating years I'd pick it up and reread some of the chapters it it would give me a good attitude adjustment. <grin>

Chapter 5 tells the tale of a true spring gobbler hunt, IMO.

This book was printed in 1986 so some of the information is a little dated, such as camo & gun selection. I don't recall but I doubt he talks much about hunting out of blinds in the middle of a field with motorizied dekes!

I highly recommend this one. Here is a link to it on Amazon.....

http://www.amazon.com/Spring-Turkey-Hunting-John-McDaniel/dp/0811716880

Good Luck!