Swing and a miss..

phade

What a terrible feeling. Had a home run set up and was within 40 yards of the roosted tom. He pitched down pretty late at about 6:55. Within one minute two hens were tens yards out and the tom was slightly behind them by about 5 yards in cover.

A yearling deer happened to walk right by them and go on alert putting the hens on alert. Tom finally gave me the shot as the deer moved off. I must have clipped some overhanging canopy (finding out after the fact) - I was so confident in the set and the shot I thought I flopped him but it wasn't the case. I did my due diligence in looking but no sign or sight. I then stomped home on the walk of shame trying to figure out how I blew a 15 yard dump shot.

No words to describe the level of pi$$3d off I am. Worse yet...I moved my work hours to later in the day and now I get to enjoy a full day's worth of work. Fun. Amazing to see what a turkey can do to a grown man in making him feel like a baby who had his candy stolen.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

All part of the game, I can not tell you how upset I was after tracking deer on 2 dif occasions and missing both in a perfect ambush the next day. One due to not compensating a 10 ft shot with a gun sighted in at 50 yards and another due to a fogged scope. Don't let it get you down, let it drive you to evaluate the mistakes and improve your self for next time! Like Bubba said, keep at it and go get them tomorrow!!! I look forward to seeing your success pics!!! Go get them!!! My mistakes have helped me improve my skills that is for sure. Good luck Phade!!!

Join the "Humble Pie" club. I also missed an opportunity this morning.

All part of hunting & how we deal with the moment of truth.

Sounds good,,,? No it doesn't make me feel any less humiliated either.

Make you feel better, check the pattern of your gun at 15yds. Bet it is pretty small & tight.

Some shotguns with full chokes & a XXX full choke tube are better at 30+yds than in closer.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 1

Join the "Humble Pie" club. I also missed an opportunity this morning.

All part of hunting & how we deal with the moment of truth.

Sounds good,,,? No it doesn't make me feel any less humiliated either.

Make you feel better, check the pattern of your gun at 15yds. Bet it is pretty small & tight.

Some shotguns with full chokes & a XXX full choke tube are better at 30+yds than in closer.

I'm assuming this is the issue. My pattern was pretty dense at 30 yards and acceptable at 25. I really didn't expect a 15 yards shot but they were on top of me within second of flying off the roost.

What a terrible feeling. Had a home run set up and was within 40 yards of the roosted tom. He pitched down pretty late at about 6:55. Within one minute two hens were tens yards out and the tom was slightly behind them by about 5 yards in cover.

A yearling deer happened to walk right by them and go on alert putting the hens on alert. Tom finally gave me the shot as the deer moved off. I must have clipped some overhanging canopy (finding out after the fact) - I was so confident in the set and the shot I thought I flopped him but it wasn't the case. I did my due diligence in looking but no sign or sight. I then stomped home on the walk of shame trying to figure out how I blew a 15 yard dump shot.

No words to describe the level of pi$$3d off I am. Worse yet...I moved my work hours to later in the day and now I get to enjoy a full day's worth of work. Fun. Amazing to see what a turkey can do to a grown man in making him feel like a baby who had his candy stolen.

The season isn't over maybe you will get another crack at them..

I really didn't expect a 15 yards shot but they were on top of me within second of flying off the roost.

Agree 100%!

As much as we think we're the supreme predator, study our prey & weapons - rarely does a hunt go as shown on TV or described in a magazine article!!!!

IMHO - Textbook hunts would be boring!

Think I'd have to reconsider my thoughts on hunting if every bow shot was at 20yds & broadside or the 30yd standing gobbler opportunties.

At the moment of truth - we process the situation within seconds & make decisions accordingly.

I'll be the 1st to admit some of my decisions end up being less than ideal.

Afterwards, we do the 2nd guessing. Live & learn!! Apply the lessons learned to the next opportunity!

Those split second, adreleline charged decisions and encounters are what keep us going back into the woods as hunters.

Hey shake it off and get back out there. In the fall I had 3 different hens within 20 yds of my set up and I missed three times. Needless to say I was 3x more p-$&;( off than you.

It happens to all of us at one time or in my case 3 times. :P. Go get him!!

See, that's what makes hunting different from a trip to meat counter of the super market. Appreciate the near misses as well as the scores. That's what makes success all that much sweeter.

We have prob all been there.... it sux. Def know my gun shoots a slug like pattern at 15 yards.... I would throw a shot or two out there so you know what ur working with for next time ! You'll get em, and I'm sure he didn't fly to the next county