No gobbles for a month

dprice1983

Ive been chasing these crazy birds for a few years, this is the first year I have noticed where I havent heard a gobble since mid april. Anyone else expeirencing this phenomenon? I also noticed bachelor groups in fields in the afternoon, and hatched eggs :(. I think it was over before it started.. Your takes?

I've heard a few HUNDRED gobbles in the last two weeks, in Ontario ( Canada) and here in Steuben County.. And I'm half DEAF..hehehehe..

Most of the adult gobblers I have seen are still with hens...

I do admit that they haven't been setting the house afire gobbling, but to me it seems like an average year.

Sorry you are having bad luck hearing birds, but keep at it ...Sounds like you may be having a bum luck year..Happens to all of us now and then.. I hope your luck improves.

IMO, seems like a trend that has been going on for years, I believe adapting & changing tactics is the key. Find where they roost, strut, rest, and feed and try to get on their travel lanes. No, ambushing them isn't quite as fun as calling them in from a distance, but drastic times sometimes call for drastic measures. :yes:

Edited by Uncle Nicky

Hmm, I dont get it, maybe the birds of Clinton County packed their bags and moved south and west. I have changed my tactics thus far, I just sit in fields where ive seen em and just cluck and purr about every 30 minutes in hopes something will come to investigate. Only thing so far was a coyote and crows. The coyote was funny, came to the edge of the field sat, barked, no response or movement from my decoy and it left.

I have noticed the same thing over the past 3yrs or so. Less and less gobbles. A couple years ago a friend and I both got nice big Toms and called in several more but never heard a gobble. NOT ONE!! all season. I'm in Onondaga Co.. Don't know ..it's wierd.

People practicing calls, poor hatch, lots of hens, people walking their dog thru the woods are all contributing factors that may effect gobbling. Ny's season is set up to start after breeding has taken place. Broken/destroyed nests will result in hen's looking to breed again. Hang in there if hens are there so are the tom's.

It's been a strange year for turkeys. A lot of the gobblers are still henned up big time...even through late morning. I've seen a bunch of strutters courting hens out in fields over the past few days. At the same time, a lot of birds are still flocked up. My dad saw a bachelor group of 22 jakes/toms feeding out in a cornfield on a local farm monday afternoon. What the heck are they all together like that for this time of the year? Pretty odd. I might get to hunt this spot on sunday if my buddy (who's father-in-law owns the place) can get the morning off to go out. I talked to the guy who's hunting the same birds that I've been after all week and he said there are 9 toms that are together in this group. You don't typically see multiple gobblers hanging out in the spring like this in these parts. Usually, you'll see a lone gobbler or maybe two with hens but not this many.

I haven't punched a tag yet but have had action every day and heard at least 600 gobbles since last tuesday (400 plus on 5/2 and 5/3 alone).

Dprice, you're right, over to your west a little ways I'm having more action than I've seen in years. A buddy of mine and I went out Sunday for my first true day turkey hunting this season and we called in 7 birds in less than an hour. I killed one and my partner killed one, both 2 year old birds. I went out yesterday to another location and had 5 come in close but the biggest gobbler stayed out of range. I didn't want to end my season on May 8 with a mediocre bird so I didn't shoot.

I'm not getting much action until 8 in the morning and things stay hot until about 10am. Not sure why the early morning isn't as exciting this year. Also, all the responses I got were while walking and calling in the woods. Not much luck in the fields.

If you have bagged a gobbler this spring consider yourself fortunate because here in lower Ulster county turkey hunting has ceased to exist. I have only heard one gobble since mid April and havent seen a bird at all this season, and have already taken up other projects around the property ordinarily reserved for the month of June. I do have alot of Black bears messing with my turkey blinds.

I know I'm fortunate. A few years ago I spoke with a life long turkey hunter and was telling him how easy turkey hunting was and he didn't believe me until he went. After we doubled up on big Toms about 20 minutes into the hunt, he let me know that I have a gold mine and the majority of turkey hunters will never have an opportunity to hunt that type of action. I appreciate it and know I'm lucky enough to have an area that holds numerous birds that don't get pressured. (I give lots of credit to our food plots) On my best day I'm an average caller so I think it is just the volume of birds that helps me out.

I was up on May 2 and 3 and although a little overcast and misty in the morning i did not hear a single gobble either day. Im in chenango county and was on my property and various pieces of state land. Nothing.

Going to go back up next weekend and get after them again. cant give up.

It's been a strange year for turkeys. A lot of the gobblers are still henned up big time...even through late morning. I've seen a bunch of strutters courting hens out in fields over the past few days. At the same time, a lot of birds are still flocked up. My dad saw a bachelor group of 22 jakes/toms feeding out in a cornfield on a local farm monday afternoon. What the heck are they all together like that for this time of the year?

I saw a very large flock together out in a field just this morning. Probably 30 birds. Ill be stopping by that land owner's house and knocking on the door this week...

Well I had one finally respond and gobble his face off only to get hung up and shut up. I think the farmer in the apple orchard behind me spraying the trees didnt help anything at 545am. Ill be back first thing tomorrow AM to let that turkey meet his maker!

I spent this past Monday morning turkey hunting in Sullivan County (3K) and did not hear one gobble. In fact the only "action" I had was a territorial hen stalking me. Other people I talked to reported the same lack of birds. Bummer when you get up at 2am to drive for 2 1/2 - 3 hours and then not have someone there to greet you at daybreak.

8f is quiet...been that way since a week before the season. At least in the area I'm hunting. Week before the season I went out a few mornings to listen and had at least 8 to 10 gobblers going crazy...now nothing...guess its just the way its going