People piss me off!

Robinson446

Well the calf i rescued a couple weekends back on the side of the road i found i posted about last week i think, is now dead.. When i found her she was COVERED in mud and probably hungry and she was shaking pretty bad and could bearly walk, well after i dropped her off the farmer put her in the barn and went back to bed, calf died a few hours later, he left her in the barn with nothing, no feed, no nothing, covered in mud still and cold. Got to love some people and their attitudes about some things!

Think before getting riled for my saying this...

That may have been for the best...seeing he did not offer her to you....a few hours of misery out way years of it...that being said.... assuming he is not the most conscientious of farmers which this sounds like...be proud you tried to do right by her....

• Like 1

Damn shame. When I was a kid I found a young cow that got her legs tangled in loose barbed wire and could'nt get up.She had been there a while. I ran back to the farmers house to let him know. He and his brother did everything they could to save her but she ended up dying. But at least they tried. Damn shame.

Amen Growalot. We can only do what we feel is best at the time. I commend you for your effort, hold your head high!!! I always think it is so wierd how we are such conservationist, yet the PETA types only see us as killers... They will never understand our love for life even if you saved 1000's of lives that one deer you kill makes you a bad person... You did the right thing and that is all you can do, GOD bless you! Don't let it get you down Robinson446, the world is filled with jerks. Be proud you are one of the great people on this planet!!!

Male or female calf? There are farmers that take the males calfs out back and shoot them. Letting it suffer is ludicrous to say the least. If a male its possible his concern was very small at best. I have a friend with a horse farm and his wife keeps bringing the male calves home from dairy farms cause she cant bear the thought of them being slaughtered. Of course he has no idea what he will do when they are full grown and have to pay the bills to keep them either.

A cow's a cow's a cow to most farmers. They are not pets. If one gets sick they dont call the vet as this costs money. Most are rendered into dogfood. Had a friend who drove around all day to farms and shot and winched dead cows into his rendering truck. Nasty job and he said he threw up on more than one occasion walking through the rendering plant floor. Anyhow, Farmers expect a certain amount of calfs to not make it, its just something that happens and a fact of life for a farmer. In the long run even if he had given you the calf and you had taken it to a vet and tried to nurse it back to health it probably would have died anyway. He probably put it in the barn and said if its alive in the morning good if not then out to the field for coyote bait. Its a fact of life, cows die more often than you think.

On opening day of turkey season, my buddy & I stopped by one farm we hunt and were getting ready to make a call, spotted a calf laying in the pasture all alone and LOOKING very dead! The thing never moved. We went and told the farmer that he had a croaked calf and he said "naw, that one is just an odd duck" it ain't dead" O.K......................

The next day we stopped by to make another call.

Here is that calf again, looking like buzard brunch....................

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

Grew up farming and have been around farms all my life. Sometimes you can't save an animal no matter how bad you want to. This was most likely a case of "if it survives the night." (I find it hard to believe any farmer would shoot a calf because it is a bull. Not with the price of beef right now. -be like burining a $100 bill because it's wrinkled) Just because this particular calf died doesn't mean the farmer neglected it or didn't care. I doubt it froze to death. If it was covered in mud and weak enough for you to catch it, it likely had pneumonia or some other disease and was going to die regardless. At least it died in the comfort of the barn and not to a coyote eating its hind end while he is still gasping for breath.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have even brought it into my barn. Last thing I would need is a sick calf infecting all my healthy ones. One thing for certain is farming makes you cold to death.

cwhite I did too until they explained it better. They are dairy farmers and have no use for bulls. If they had beefers it would be a different story as there is a market for those. I know one particular farm that used to sell them for veal and got a whole whopping 10 bucks a peice for them cause they are holsteins. They figured it cost them more money to keep and keep and raise them to the young age the buyer wanted them that it was not worth the effort. Sad but these guys are making there living doing this and we all know its a tough life. I was raised on 2 farms myself so I can relate to the sacrifices these guys make day in and day out.

thats unfortunate however if that calf died a few hours later then even if the farmer did give her some grain hay or something she still probably wouild have passed. She may have been malnurished for a while or something elese could have been wrong. There are a lot of unforseen variables that could have happened. You did the right thing by going to the farmer. I work at a vets office and I see it all the time where someone brings in a malnurished cat dog etc.. and no matter what you do its sometimes too late, even if the animal eats all the food you put out. dont beat your self up over it.

"She must have been sick if I caught her? It was like an hour old if that And after she went in the Ditch she couldn't get up cuz she was weak.."

OK Jordan, now you are changing variables/story. If you were in my pasture rounding up one of my hour old calves I would give you a good solid kick to the rear. Where was the cow? Why would you separate a new born calf from her? She couldn't have been too far. Why didn't you put the calf back in the fence with the mother? If this calf was an hour old it wouldn't have even made it to its feet yet let alone walk to the ditch and collapse. I can promise you that the cow wouldn't have been far away if the calf was only an hour (even 6 hours) old either. The cow will clean up the calf, get all the slim off it, and dry it up and most importantly feed it. One of two things here. It was an older calf that was sick and destined to die or it was a newly dropped calf that should have been put back in the fence with its mother. She would have tended to it properly. Either way, a farmer putting it in the barn is not neglect. Farm animals die and it sucks.

Sorry it took so long to reply, just noticed it.

How was i changing my story? The story was the same the whole time, the calf was way away from the other cows, she wasnt even near the pasture, no momma in sight cuz when the calf started bleating i waited to see if momma would come running. and i didnt round up any calfs, she was on the side of the road a quarter mile or so from the barn.

Regardless of how you came into contact with the calf, I don't see any neglect on the part of the farmer. Maybe on the cow, but not the farmer. I'll say it again, farm animals die frequently and it sucks.

My point in even responding to your post cwhite was because you stated i changed my story and was rounding up the cows. Not once did i state i was in the fence, nor did i change any storys. It was almost as if you didnt read the original post i made and just went off of the comments on the topic. That was my point of responding.