Plot watcher verses Bushnell trail cams with field view

Was looking into buying a plot watcher and noticed Bushnell had cameras now that are not only triggered by motion but can be set on what they call field view which is nothing more than a plot watcher. The newer plotwatchers have different lenses you can put on one is a wide view lense and the other is a telescopic lense both would be good for watching a large field. But the bushnell field view can be set to take pics every minute and the motuion will still take pics if something walks by in between. Not sure what to do. Anyone have any thoughts.

post-205-0-77449300-1337149716_thumb.jpg

post-205-0-73544200-1337149720_thumb.jpg

The bushnell comes in several different models at different costs but all are compareable to the cost of the plotwatcher. Im thinking the bushnell is better because you still have the IR for night where as the plotwatcher is for day time only. But the plotwatcher has the telephoto lense or the wide angle lense where you can pick up deer farther from the cam than what the standard 40 ft trigger of the IR model. Both accept 32gb sdhc cards for 20,000 pics which you would need for a camera taking pics every 30 to 60 seconds.

Edited by erussell

I would definately go with the Bushnell. If you're watching a plot and concerned about the trigger, make yourself one of these adjustable stands, so you can place the cam anywhere in the plot and move it around if you want. I've had the deer browse the leaves right off my camo job on the stand!

http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/5508-adjustable-cam-stand/

100_2731.jpg

I would check the specifics on the time lengths on those cams. I though i heard somewhere that the total amount of lapsed time is not very long. Maybe only a couple of days or so (because it is taking so many pics).

If its set up over a large field or large area where there are multiple deer trails its a good idea because the preset trigger times are supposed to catch the stuff in the background that is beyond the trigger mechanism of the camera.

I have the 2011 Bushnell and love it. I have it set up over a 1/4 acre plot and get pics from all over the entire plot...in daylight to the other end (about 50 yards or so) and at dark a little closer.

Good luck

Forgot about that feature on it til this post. I love the Bushnell and would get another one. I have the same batteries in it since i got it. it also does videos. deerthug has the camera also

I love my Bushnell. I also have the same lithium batteries from sept and they remain fully charged. Got over 3000 pics in one month.

I have reg batteries in mine, I have had mine on since march 17th. i did have that one week i forgot to turn it back on.

What's a killer is placing a camera 60 miles awaythen going back a month later only to find that the camera wasn't turned on ! :angry: ... :angry: ... :angry:

I just bought the plotwatcher last week. It says in the manual that it won't operate properly with a flashdrive larger than 8gb. It as different settings on it, but it seems that the batteries will last about a week. Mine is set out right now, so I don't know for sure yet.

FYI about the Bushnell.

The company had a lot of issues with their 2010 models.

Still a lot of those available as new. (Esp on eBay)

Model #s will be 119435, 119445, etc.

2011 was a huge improvement in quality for their Trophy Cams.

Those model #s are similiar, but end with a 6. ie; 119436, 119446, etc.

Haven't seen any reviews of the 2012 models.

They are disguinished in the model # by the last digit being a 7, ie; 11437, 119447, etc.

I do like how the bushnells boast 1 yr on 8 AA batts.

I did a little more digging around today and noticed just about every brand of trail cams has a time lapse feature now. Is this something new for this yr or have some of them always had time lapse tech on them.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got a new, left-over 2011 Bushnell Trophy Cam for ~$120.

Does have the Field Scan setting for photo or video.

Set a start & stop time, interval of photo & # of shots or the length & interval of video.

Even with a 32Gb SD card & 8-AA Lithium batteries, gotta assume this scan would eat up batteries esp on video setting.

Will operate with alkaline or rechargeable AAs.

Mine has the VGA vid quality, but you can get an upgraded model that takes HD quality video for closer to $200+.

Some of the upscaled models take 12 AAs.

Like you mentioned, only drawback is the 1X lens with the BTC for the scan option.

Regular triggered vid has audio option, but I don't believe that is selectable for the Field Scan.

BTC has 2 year warranty & optional 3rd year for additional $20 when you register cam.

FYI - When you register a BTC, they don't ask for authorized retailer's name. Simply type of retailer & what you paid.

OK, I finally got up and checked my plot watcher. I got 9 days worth of time lapsed video before the batteries died. It takes 4 AA's. I had it set for every 10 seconds and a midday skip. Nice clear images.

Is this the plotwatcher or plot watcher pro? That is terrible battery life!!

Edited by erussell

My Moultrie has 8 D cells and runs just about 1 year. Of course the battery life also depends on how many times the unit triggers. Where I have it I get about 9-12 pictures a week. Triggered by everything from hares, coyotes, and deer.