NYSDEC stream sampling at Naples Creek.

Steuben Jerry

I always wanted to go to this but never burned a vacation day for it. Pretty interesting stuff! Very nice that they do a presentation for the public like this. It drew a good crowd, vehicles were parked up and down the road. I was able to get some good views though. Fun to see the DEC crew celebrate a nice one!

47B61AE3-5BD9-48D2-B8CA-A3FF039A12EB.jpeg

93C50B65-FD8C-4C89-9F5D-325196042B2B.jpeg

38A111FA-70A3-4845-BDC5-E61AB8B66EEB.jpeg

92D60B4F-20DD-40FA-8B38-68650985D76F.jpeg

9D977862-4C0E-489A-8CE6-FB058DC11FE3.jpeg

FC56B48A-32B4-4095-9BC7-F7659FE82ED3.jpeg

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Got invited to help stock 70,000 Atlantic salmon fingerlings in Oneida lake last year. Didn't go cause I actually think that is poor management but I have helped stock browns before in Lewis county. It was fun

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

That's interesting  Never realized they stocked Atlantics in Oneida...  do they assume they make it into the Oswego and then on to Lake O?

Nice pics, Jerry  !!  I have a photo of my Dad taken in 1937 ( he was 16) at Naples holding a 6-7 lb. rainbow..He had entered a fishing contest and that trout won him a  9 foot split bamboo fly rod and reel...I still have the rod and reel, and also have pictures of me fishing with it  on a dock at Keuka Lake  when I was about  4 years old, which would have been about 1954...

It was the only rod I remember my Dad owning until my Mom bought him an open face spinning outfit in the late 1950s from the Western Auto store here in Dogpatch...

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

That's interesting  Never realized they stocked Atlantics in Oneida...  do they assume they make it into the Oswego and then on to Lake O?

they actually stock them in the tribs of fish crick and mad river. They then grow there a bit and go out to the lake, then return to the tribs to spawn in a few years.  Originally i guess there were Salmon in there and every once in a while people will catch them esp in the spring fishing for walleye.  Its a private group that does it and funds it all , but to me Oneida is a warm water fishery and they are kinda spitting in the wind with this.  

• Like 1

Nice pics, Jerry  !!  I have a photo of my Dad taken in 1937 ( he was 16) at Naples holding a 6-7 lb. rainbow..He had entered a fishing contest and that trout won him a  9 foot split bamboo fly rod and reel...I still have the rod and reel, and also have pictures of me fishing with it  on a dock at Keuka Lake  when I was about  4 years old, which would have been about 1954...
It was the only rod I remember my Dad owning until my Mom bought him an open face spinning outfit in the late 1950s from the Western Auto store here in Dogpatch...

Lets catch a fish with that rod this spring!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Got invited to help stock 70,000 Atlantic salmon fingerlings in Oneida lake last year. Didn't go cause I actually think that is poor management but I have helped stock browns before in Lewis county. It was fun

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

I didn't realize anyone was doing this either? Interesting what their end goal is. I'm surprised catching them in Oneida isn't a bit more common with stocking. I caught one on a fly rod in early spring in the Seneca river a few years back. I agree that warm soup Oneida Lake in the summer doesn't seem to advantageous to trout/salmon.

Sent from my moto g fast using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, chrisw said:

I didn't realize anyone was doing this either? Interesting what their end goal is. I'm surprised catching them in Oneida isn't a bit more common with stocking. I caught one on a fly rod in early spring in the Seneca river a few years back. I agree that warm soup Oneida Lake in the summer doesn't seem to advantageous to trout/salmon.

the deepest spot in Oneida is 55ft.  and thats for a very very small area.  its shallow and warms quick, just not great Salmon water.  But it does seem like a few more brown trout are being caught in there in last couple of years that also come in from the tribs. http://fishcreeksalmon.org/

the deepest spot in Oneida is 55ft.  and thats for a very very small area.  its shallow and warms quick, just not great Salmon water.  But it does seem like a few more brown trout are being caught in there in last couple of years that also come in from the tribs. http://fishcreeksalmon.org/

Yep. I caught an 18" brown ice fishing a couple of years ago.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I'm in  if its on the weekend and you share the recipe  for the infamous  Varigated  Purple Ninnyhammer !

Recipe as follows:

By my friend Kevin hooks and beads, receive flies!

This weekends money fly was a hotspot zebra midge. When the sun comes out there are BWOs coming off like crazy