Anyone else have any problems with the birds being quiet?

jake03

This year has been so so for me. I live on the border of St./Lewis counties. I have been hunting for seven years, and have managed to fill both tags each year with no problems. This year I have had a couple close calls, but haven't put anthing on the ground yet. They past four days, it has been sunny, an 75-85 degrees out, no rain, no wind, and I have search everywhere for a bird, and have not heard one gobble.Neither my father or uncle have had any luck either in the area. I have only mannaged to call in an angry hen. I was just wondering if anyone had an answer for why the birds are not gobbling. Would the heat stop them? Please reply.

Remember this.........

You will NEVER figure out turkey's completely, ever. Nobody will.Simple as that.

Tomorrow you could have a couple birds race in, gobbling their fool heads off pleading to be killed.

Zero to hero in nothing flat................

Then, you post hero shots on this web page and we say "damn, that jake03 is GOOD"

<grin>

Just when you think figured these turkeys out, bamb everything changes. Don't think their is any clear cut answer for your question. Found out, don't be afraid to try new things. I been aggressive calling the last 2 days. Read where hunters call to much, we'll you're never know it this morning the way I called. The woods full of hens yelling. Got to be a good thing with real decoys. Good luck and go get'em.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

Been hunting southern Erie and Catt county's.... I can honestly say I have heard about 5 total gobbles since opener. Today was my second 4 day 5am-noon hunt in a row, mixed with a couple quick morning hunts here and there, so I have been putting in my time ! Finding a few fresh tracks and hearing a few hens but other than that this year has been a bust. I'm far from quitting but very discouraged. To me its no fun calling in a quiet tom... I mean don't they know the key to any relationship is good communication !!??! Either way, I hate tag soup so lets hope things change

Been hunting southern Erie and Catt county's.... I can honestly say I have heard about 5 total gobbles since opener. Today was my second 4 day 5am-noon hunt in a row, mixed with a couple quick morning hunts here and there, so I have been putting in my time ! Finding a few fresh tracks and hearing a few hens but other than that this year has been a bust. I'm far from quitting but very discouraged. To me its no fun calling in a quiet tom... I mean don't they know the key to any relationship is good communication !!??! Either way, I hate tag soup so lets hope things change

Last season the gobblers were quiet around my area of lower Ulster, this season they are none existent..i have hunted turkeys for decades and have never seen anything like this? my season was over weeks ago.

quiet here in wayne county...never been like this in years. ive hunted from sunrise to noon, on many days since the opener. havent seen a live male turkey since before the season opened. havent heard a gobble since 2nd day of the season. not sure whats going on but as others have stated, they could be thicker than thieves tomorow! just gotta keep after them. it does kinda put a damper on things when they arent vocal but they are still being turkeys doing what turkeys do. keep at them!!

I have noticed a big decrease in gobbling in the past few years. The Toms seem to be there, I have seen them come in quiet....I've taken a few that way... but its just not like it used to be, as far as gobbling goes. Other guys I know who hunt them in my area have been saying the same thing.... Who knows???? Preditors got them spooked ??? Im in Onondaga Co.

Last few days have been tough, that is for sure. Hunted with a buddy near Cortland again, found roosted gobblers 3 days in a row before sunlight, they'd gobble like crazy on the roost, gobble for another 1/2 hour after flydown, get with their hens, and shut up. :tease: We did a lot of running & gunning, occasionally we'd strike a gobble, but nothing wanted to come in. Sat down this morning around 9:30 and cold called, had 2 gobblers come in to about 25 yards at 11:30, but only saw a brief glimpse of red head before they backed out (didn't see a hen I guess). I might have been able to get a shot off, it was awfully thick, but was busy trying to get my son a shot (he couldn't see them from where he was sitting). They stayed out hung-up and gobbling until quitting time.

I'll be back at it next weekend for one last hurrah.

Remember this.........

You will NEVER figure out turkey's completely, ever. Nobody will.Simple as that.

Tomorrow you could have a couple birds race in, gobbling their fool heads off pleading to be killed.

Zero to hero in nothing flat................

Then, you post hero shots on this web page and we say "damn, that jake03 is GOOD"

<grin>

X2!!! Those big dumb birds with their inferior little walnut-sized brains sure can be a royal pain in the butt to put a tag on... :banghead: .

Stick with it man!!!

Edited by WNY Bowhunter

I've talked with a lot of other guys that are haveing the same problem. We have come to the conclusion that the early warm weather before the season started advanced their breeding activity. I was seeing and hearing many gobblers searching for hens in mid March! Also have seen many good sized chicks with hens already too. I think breeding is mostly over in Delaware County

Took my girlfreind out yesterday and got in early and hit the owl call one time and a tom triple gobbled. We moved closer to where we heard him and every time i would hit the owl call he was in the same place. Set up the blind and the crows had him hammering off every 1-2 minutes. Waited a little bit and did a short yelp and he cut me off with 3 consecutive gobbles. I waited about ten minutes and called and he did the same exact thing. he was definately on the ground for sure closing the distance inch by inch and i could tell my girlfriends heart was pumpin every time he gobbled the barrel of her gun would start to shake. He was to the edge of the field we were in and we finally saw him come into full strut with a huge paintbrush hanging. She really got excited then and i made another call and he broke strut and came to around 100 yards and strutted and i heard what was quite clearly an obviously an old box call to our right and i looked over on the hill and i see a guy with a double barrel in all old army camo walking to the field like there was nothing in it. By now this tom lost his strut and started doing the loud "cluck" and trotted the opposite way and my heart sunk and i saw the disappointment on my girlfreinds face and this guy walked into the field 40 yards away from us and made another call and i stepped out of the blind and this guy ran across the hill he came from faster than the turkey ran out of the field. He obviously knew he was trespassing and knew he was about to get an a$$ chewing. I was beyond mad and we stuck around and hunted for another hour or so and finally called it a morning. I was so upset because it was the last morning my girlfriend and i could hunt for the season. Undecided if i will be going out on friday or not but i know for one thing that if i hear that box call i'll be on a mission to have a chat with someone. Nothing like introducing someone to turkey hunting and have someone like that ruin their first good opportunity.