Big Bear Down

magnumhunt

Hey guys I had a pretty nice successful hunt opening day and got a nice sized bear. This was my first bear ever, and I decided to bring it to a butcher and taxidermist. The butcher told me to give him half the meat and he will lower the price, and I agreed. This bear weighted 400+ dressed. The skull was 22 inches and was 6.6 Ft tall The butcher told me to pick up the meat and he only gave me 26lbs of meat? Is that normal? He weighted the hide and skull and it came out to be 140lbs. So if anyone has an idea on how many pounds I should have gotten shine your input.

post-1118-0-69384300-1448396715_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Hey guys I had a pretty nice successful hunt opening day and got a nice sized bear. This was my first bear ever, and I decided to bring it to a butcher and taxidermist. The butcher told me to give him half the meat and he will lower the price, and I agreed. This bear weighted 400+ dressed. The skull was 22 inches and was 6.6 Ft tall The butcher told me to pick up the meat and he only gave me 26lbs of meat? Is that normal? He weighted the hide and skull and it came out to be 140lbs. So if anyone has an idea on how many pounds I should have gotten shine your input.

My bear weighed 300 lbs.  After the fat was removed and all the meat boned out, I got 75 pounds of meat to take home.  If you were to get half of the meat from a 400 lb bear, I'd say you should get about 50 lbs of meat.

• Like 1

Probably the angle of pic makes bear look smaller; I've no reason to doubt the weight you claim.

I'm glad I read this thread. It will help disabuse me of any notion of shooting any large black bear and dragging it out of the woods single handily, though where I hunt I doubt that I'll ever come upon one anyway!

• Like 1

Probably the angle of pic makes bear look smaller; I've no reason to doubt the weight you claim.

I'm glad I read this thread. It will help disabuse me of any notion of shooting any large black bear and dragging it out of the woods single handily, though where I hunt I doubt that I'll ever come upon one anyway!

Dont doubt yourself that you wont see a bear! My father has been hunting this land 30 years and never seen. I have seen 5 the past 4 years

Congrats on a great bear but friend, that is the worst picture I've ever seen.  Couldn't you flip him on his side and get the leaves off him/her? (and take the noose off it's neck?)

I know I'll get some grief for it but cripes, you owe it to the animal to do a better job.

OK, hammer away................... :)

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 5

Where was bear shot? You can lose a lot of meat depending on where you hit it, and I assume boneless meat trimmed properly is a lot of waste in weight there, I would say you got a fair amount back depending on what you got ground roasts steaks,...for example an average deer only gives back 30 to 35 lbs of trimmed boneless cuts if you didn't hit spine or front shoulders... cut in half would.be 15lbs. So it sounds about right

Edited by G-Man

Thanks for the comments guys! Yes you guys are 100% right the pictures dont look good, this was because it was 1030 at night and we were exhausted from dragging the bear. I will post more pictures.

It was killed in Broome County. The buchter i used is by Albany ill get the full name.

Edited by magnumhunt
  • Like 2

Where was bear shot? You can lose a lot of meat depending on where you hit it, and I assume boneless meat trimmed properly is a lot of waste in weight there, I would say you got a fair amount back depending on what you got ground roasts steaks,...for example an average deer only gives back 30 to 35 lbs of trimmed boneless cuts if you didn't hit spine or front shoulders... cut in half would.be 15lbs. So it sounds about right

He was shot with a Remington .308win. Butcher said between neck and shoulders. So thats pretty much spine.