This year's regulations book

growalot

16 minutes ago, stubby68 said:

Agreed the horn hunters are the first to hold there breath and stomp there feet. All over something they could have prevented. They cry see we told you it would not work. Well it didn't work because the children just didn't hunt. They thought they were proveing a point. Well they did they proved just what the dec was saying they wont shoot doe. Now dec will be forced to try another to lower doe numbers and the bow hunters will like that way even less.

Well todays world is all about big bucks regardless or DEC or rules. They know this and you would think they would work with that? Even an early muzzy season will not help lower the population because those same horn hunters wont kill them then either. Just the way it is. Land gets locked up for inches and people are holding out for inches. DEC will never get what they want done until they start working with the hunters that can kill the deer. That for the most part is the land owner and the guy who leases the land. I myself would be more apt to kill a doe real early in the season or not until way late in the season. Anything else goes to the buck i am after. 

Well todays world is all about big bucks regardless or DEC or rules. They know this and you would think they would work with that? Even an early muzzy season will not help lower the population because those same horn hunters wont kill them then either. Just the way it is. Land gets locked up for inches and people are holding out for inches. DEC will never get what they want done until they start working with the hunters that can kill the deer. That for the most part is the land owner and the guy who leases the land. I myself would be more apt to kill a doe real early in the season or not until way late in the season. Anything else goes to the buck i am after. 

And early gun season would probably kill the herd...how many more gun hunters are there than bow...and how many of those gun hunters would love to hunt when it's 60+ degrees in early october...want to see people flock to an area to hunt that's what an early season would do

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Check pg3 of the new Hunting Regs booklet:

PENDING Updates to Deer and Bear Hunting Seasons
At the time of press, regulations are pending that would:
• Allow junior hunters to take bear as well as deer during the youth firearms hunt;
• Rescind an antlerless-only requirement established in 2015 during portions of the bow and
muzzleloader season in some Wildlife Management Units (WMUs);

• Reduce the take of antlerless deer in WMUs 6F and 6J by allowing hunters to only take antlered
deer during the early muzzleloader season;
• Clarify that bow/mz either-sex and antlerless-only deer tags may both be used during either
bow or muzzleloader seasons by properly licensed hunters.
Check DEC’s website for the latest regulation changes before heading afield this fall.

• Like 1

Want to explain just how an early ML will "kill" the herd?  For one thing it would be doe only.and remember you only get one tag either or.. plus those 2 doe tags. That is if you don't bow hunt as well,for that gives you another doe tag.But wait you also elude to how horrible it will be for bow hunters..So I have to assume your implying less deer taken by us..

Now all that said none of it makes a difference because all the horrible land owners are hording the deer any ways. None of us or the guys the lease shoot any thing but PY or BC bucks. Gosh just look at the harvest thread..lol Seriously this is rich...I actually kept this going to get you to reveal exactly what your issue is..it was showing in a few other topics. You didn't disappoint.

The only disappointment was you G-man. 6 years seeing my deer takes ,reading my post,seeing I have put up my # in the town offices to try and shoot doe for others. Have shot deer for others, even using one of my buck tags to do so..and you post those comments...hhmmmm

On an ending note..keep wondering with true amazement why land owners say they would NEVER open their lands to others...after reading this thread..Yep it makes me laugh!

Thanks Nyslowhand...I knew I read that some where...though the miss information that Stoneam2006 started this whole thing with revealed a lot,not necessarily things of a good nature...informative none the less...makes one wonder,is the guy knocking on your door wanting something for basically nothing...thinking like the guys that just posted?.......smiling at you on one side of their face and calling you a greedy SOB with the other side????

If the DEC was truly serious about cutting doe populations in those "trouble areas", are you people so naïve as to think they would relegate the effort to the season that uses the least efficient weapon? Why do you suppose that the regular gun season has been ignored in their grand scheme? Come on, do you really believe that they can leave deer population control to bowhunters only? It is an ignorant half-hearted plan that likely has more to do with cramming firearms into bow seasons than it does with having anything to do with deer numbers, and you people are buying right into it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

And early gun season would probably kill the herd...how many more gun hunters are there than bow...and how many of those gun hunters would love to hunt when it's 60+ degrees in early october...want to see people flock to an area to hunt that's what an early season would do

Yts not going to kill the herd because people still wont be able to get at the deer. Remember..All the deer are on private lands? People that own and lease are mostly horn hunters..So any push of bowhunters or entering gun season early wont do alot to kill more deer. State land mayne...If ya find some with killable deer...

Right from the horses mouth. There's a really good chance doe only goes away. Also refer to nyslowhands post. It had an effect but not enough to offset hunters dissatisfaction. earn a buck will also never happen anytime soon anywhere.DEC just couldn't beat the printing deadline. It was at the printers over a month ago.

That said those reactions to this in here is a great example of why DEC should cross ther Ts and dot the I better.

• Like 2

Yts not going to kill the herd because people still wont be able to get at the deer. Remember..All the deer are on private lands? People that own and lease are mostly horn hunters..So any push of bowhunters or entering gun season early wont do alot to kill more deer. State land mayne...If ya find some with killable deer...

Your right still may not be able to kill enough doe for them to call it good.......but then they just hire snipers to do the jobs.

I just find it crazy that the peo0le who could potentially help change the rule instead of fighting to change it or helping the cause would rather just not hunt in that area till after the doe only portion....And the only logical reason they would not want to is bc they don't want to miss a chance at that big buck bc those horns taste so good.

And grow I know and have read your posts about donating deer and helping people in need and applaud you for that. I just don't understand what the big deal is when there are so many tags to be had why not just go out and fill them as opportunity arises...really no different than the old season start date when it was Oct 15

blackmail

(ˈblækˌmeɪl )

Definitions
Collins English Dictionary
noun1. the act of attempting to obtain money by intimidation, as by threats to disclose discreditable information2. the exertion of pressure or threats, esp unfairly, in an attempt to influence someone's actionsverb (transitive)3. to exact or attempt to exact (money or anything of value) from (a person) by threats or intimidation; extort4. to attempt to influence the actions of (a person), esp by unfair pressure or threats

This is what the big deal is to me read 2 & 4 in the above definition. They threatened and I see many of you bought into that threat...you WILL do this or we will stick guns into your bows season. They never even tried to mask it,straight up black mail.  So that's what the big deal is to me. Once we as hunters allow the DEC to enact regulations under terms of black mail. We have,and I'm telling you to remember me saying this...opened Pandora's box to what other little schemes they can come up with...because when you fall into line once under threats...they have you always. Remember the DEC is a political toy in this state and what political party plays with it.

13 hours ago, stubby68 said:

You get a either sex tag plus 2 doe tags in oct. then 2 more doe tags in nov. so what is the problem? Take 2 doe and a buck in oct. then you get 2 tags on nov. 1 to use in nov.nwhy do you need 4 doe tags in oct to kill a doe. If more hunters were willing to kill doe with a bow then they would have never made a  2 week doe only rule. 

In my case the applied for Doe tags are taken in a different area than I live becasue my hunting camp is there. . I live in 8H and would take more does during bow if I had better access to the late draw tags earlier. I'll do more than my part if they find a way to give me the paper. 

• Like 2

Grow I don't see undo pressure or threats. Different areas have different regs. I get a doe tag for a doe only area when I get my land owners for mine..no chance of a second tag here or where I hunt. I then post it or know someone that hunts that area and sign it over to them..no waiting till nov For extras. They take between 2 and 4 doe out of my moms backyard every year. I don't hunt there but they guys that do are more than happy to have the tag and take some meat.. 2 guys just shoot the doe and donate them.. both main hunters had to watch a large buck for 2 weeks ,my uncle moved his stand because he watched it for two weeks and got it 1st day of buck in that area. 

Honestly I know what kind of person you are and the fact you hunt for meat. I just don't get your reasoning behind it except you can't shoot a buck then ,but neither can anyone else in that area.  I'm sure you can get tags signed over to you so you can use them Oct 1.. if not and it's implemented again this year.pm me and I'll get one for your area and sign it over to you.

• Like 2

I haven't seen the regs book yet, but might this afternoon.

If the regs stay as proposed, and if I'm given the opportunity, I think I'll harvest a doe early season.  I hope to use the antlered only tag with bow during regular season.  With my late season tag, I might harvest a doe fawn, likely from the doe that currently has three fawns prancing around her.  Chances are, all three aren't going to make it through winter.

If I don't harvest a buck with the antlered only tag, I might use it to harvest a mature doe late season.

There are no doe tags (haven't been, at any rate) issued for my WMU, 4L.  If that holds true this year, I'll apply for 4H and/or 4J, in which the doe could/should be reduced.  4J is bow only.  I don't have anywhere near enough land to qualify for DMAPs.  I hope to have the time and the opportunity to harvest a doe in either of those areas.  Access is an issue in 4J.  If I get doe tags, I'm going to try and use them during the early season, and save the early season tag, in case I do see that buck...

Within the framework of the regs, that's my current working-plan.

1 hour ago, growalot said:

This is what the big deal is to me read 2 & 4 in the above definition. They threatened and I see many of you bought into that threat...you WILL do this or we will stick guns into your bows season. They never even tried to mask it,straight up black mail.  So that's what the big deal is to me. Once we as hunters allow the DEC to enact regulations under terms of black mail. We have,and I'm telling you to remember me saying this...opened Pandora's box to what other little schemes they can come up with...because when you fall into line once under threats...they have you always. Remember the DEC is a political toy in this state and what political party plays with it.

It didn't start with hunting regulations ,the government has been throwing handfuls of crap at the walls for a long time now .

Your right Jeremy...now lets review what happened with the doe crap they threw at the wall...hunters like my self saw what this was really about  and bulked. We openly verbally railed against it and then we backed it up with action. I say this for if you all recall they openly admitted the drop was due in no small part to hunter dissatisfaction and non participation. It didn't stick.  Now what happened as a result? They didn't go just to the hunting clubs ,land stock holders to get input and blessings for the next round,they put up an ON LINE survey for ALL hunters to participate in. They started rethinking how they deal with NYS hunters. Now this was one of the biggest complaints we had...they did not ask for input from the ppl living and hunting these areas.

You guys can say you do not understand from where my angst comes. You can accuse me and others of wanting just horns..BTW have any of you wondered how many of us die hard horn hunters:rolleyes: actually took a buck that first two weeks...were there a tons posted on this site then??? How many of us choose to get doe tags in other areas and filled them not buck tags...I know I did, but didn't get the doe I was looking for...See hunting another area was a PITA actually. Now I was willing to have a poor first two weeks in order to get the DEC to listen up for once...enough of us were willing to do that and it looks like it worked...greedy bass-turds that we are.

Edited by growalot

Grow I don't see undo pressure or threats.

G-man what do you call it when they ,pretty much quietly, implement such a regulation. Then in the same paragraph giving the reason for it, add, if you do not fill our goals we will put  a gun hunt in your season...Now that is what happened I'm sure it can be looked up and verified. If you can not see that as a threat or unfair pressure,there will never be an understanding between us on this issue.

Well Biz did you take that survey...it had plenty of room for comments....The more hunters talk about what they want and how those wants could be of use to DEC goals...The better chance you have to achieving your goal...

Then again you can just continue quietly going about your business following all the regulations and hoping for a better outcome. God knows speaking out  against poor policies makes you a BAD....BAD hunter...lol

Well Biz did you take that survey...it had plenty of room for comments....The more hunters talk about what they want and how those wants could be of use to DEC goals...The better chance you have to achieving your goal...

Then again you can just continue quietly going about your business following all the regulations and hoping for a better outcome. God knows speaking out  against poor policies makes you a BAD....BAD hunter...lol

Per the suggestion of crossbow coalition I sent several emails to the appropriate officials. Maybe some day.....

Until it happens, anyone want to hunt Westchester? I have access to several spots that have great bucks. You can hunt them until xbows become legal. How's $5k per person per season sound?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Per the suggestion of crossbow coalition I sent several emails to the appropriate officials. Maybe some day.....

Until it happens, anyone want to hunt Westchester? I have access to several spots that have great bucks. You can hunt them until xbows become legal. How's $5k per person per season sound?

Or you could be cool and just let me hunt them... I'm sure I have a favor I could return some day

• Like 1

Btw I also support full inclusion..... And I'm an avid bow hunter, but it would be nice to have the option.

• Like 2