Study: Whitetail Deer in Central New York - An alternative to Antler restriction

burmjohn

Change may be slower thru education, but I see it happening around me in 7J.

A lot more hunters holding out for older deer then where do so even 5 years ago.

you never know what your neighbor is shooting tho... you and other adjasent properties can hold out for bigger deer but it only takes one guy with killing anything hes see in mind to negate the efforts you take.

i dont think this is something ANY OF US can change by what we are tought and what we believe. whether that be laying of younger and smaller deer and possibly taking a few does instead. it just will NEVER work. im sorry...

this is something that would have to be enforced and forced to follow by law to see any drastic change! what one beleive may not be believed by another! however, if its the law and its enforced now we have no choice but to follow the new structure. see what im getting at?

i am all for laying off small deer and taking does but not everyone is so how does one conform to that if another hunter is not liable to follow those guidelines as well???

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geno,

Your right about what your neighbor is killing. I have a place that for the most part is bordered by people practicing QDM. The guys that were pushing it the most in the last couple years took some small bucks on their property..

You never know, are they telling you to practice QDA so they see and take more bucks, hmm? I hope this is not the norm.

You never know, are they telling you to practice QDA so they see and take more bucks, hmm? I hope this is not the norm.

Bingo!  They hope that you pass up bucks that will eventually end up on their land where they can blast them.  If anyone thinks hunting isn't a selfish game for many, then one hasn't been hunting long enough.

I agree, good points.

Education And at least as important: deer hunters being good examples... as role models seems to be one of the best ways for hunters to learn to start holding out for a better animal..not mandatory laws that force deer hunters into passing on bucks when they are not experienced enough to meet these arbitrary, forced standards.

These standards, no matter how they are defined, are most often set for deer hunters by somebody in a different area, with different opportunities, dreams, population dynamics, herd structure, etc.  One size fits all mentality.

One guy is a meat hunter, another is a trophy hunter, another believes in mandatory AR, and another is a brown it's downer.

Troubled ship in calm weather.

Of course the state would make more money. They would collect on logging rights for state lands, increased license sales, increased tax revenue from sporting goods sales to motel rooms. Why would that be a bad thing?

the bad thing would to implement a structure based on those rulings alone... to me it would be a decision based upon revenue for the state then the actual deer herd itself. thats what im asking and that is what i am getting at...

I guess Im not understanding what you mean by "those rulings alone".

What it looks like we will see as rule changes is the bow season opening earlier a late x-bow season after the southern zone ML season and a loosening of the distance requirement for bow from 500ft to 250ft.

Here is something will the NYBH demand that they should be able to hunt in the x-bow season?

From the DEC website

Question: When can I use a crossbow to hunt?

Answer: Only during the REGULAR firearms seasons in the Northern and Southern Zone, during the LATE muzzleloading and bowhunting seasons, and during the January firearms season in Suffolk County, beginning with the 2011-2012 hunting seasons and continuing until December 31, 2012.

Question: May I use a crossbow during the late bowhunting season?

Answer: Yes. You may use a crossbow during the LATE special seasons (bowhunting and muzzleloading) after the close of the regular season.

Thats right.  Its pretty easy insulting someone in the third person on the internet. 

Its not quite the same doing it face to face.

But hey, I hope you get the biggest P&Y racks with hams that taste like veal and lots of color photos to show on the internet.

This way, people will finally know how much better you are.