Terrible end for a deer

Kelty

I came across this deer carcass in the woods the other day. The neck was wedged between two trunks of the tree. I think the deer was probably being chased by coyotes and got stuck and killed there. The only odd thing is the position of the deer seems to be almost on its back. post-1651-0-31009400-1343436183_thumb.jppost-1651-0-31009400-1343436183_thumb.jp

I never thought of someone setting up a bait cam as it is in the middle of my property, but you got me thinking so I went back to look for a cam but didnt see any.

It might have been a cam bait from last winter, so that cam may have been pulled late winter or spring.

• 2 weeks later...

deer was probably trying to reach browse and slipped got caught in crotch died and then eaten by coyotes/ other animals. i've seen it several times happens in winter a lot when snow is deep, once saw 7 deer up in tree tops next to railroad tracks in the spring 12-15 ' off the ground all dead cought in forks of trees, walked up snow drift to get at browse and snow collapsed under them leaving them hang from necks, legs and feet from crotches in trees. even had a turkey in delaware county back in late 90's dead wedged in a crotch of a tree, must of got stuck there while flying down about 6' off the ground. not a mark on it just dead with wings pinned up behind it like it was gliding down.. i highly doubt it was a cat or bigfoot just a sad accident. the ground looks hard and rooty around where it would of been standing on its hind feet trying to reach browse or stripping bark for food looks ,like a maple tree. (there doesnt seem to be much growth at ground level so that also leads me to believe it was raising the browseline and met its demise) plus private land and if was a cam set thats a lot of heaving to get a deer head/ neck several feet off ground . i'd use a rope ..

Edited by G-Man