PA Elk

Skillet

I've never applied, Skillet.. Odds are too long for me...Better chance to win the lottery, especially for a non-resident.

Of course, you can't win if you don't play...

I have driven down a couple of times to Benezet ( sp ?) in September to listen to them bugle and see them standing around in people's back yards.

Yup, $10. Can't beat it. Last year a guy took one over 400", which is now # 1 all time in PA and top 10 all-time in U.S.

Yeah Biz, you can't beat the price.

I know it's steep odds Pygmy, but a guy's gotta dream.

Edited by Skillet

Yup, I only put in for antlered. Even paying a guide $2K would be way cheaper than going out west for $5-$6K, also the success rates for antlered Elk in PA is pretty much 100%. If you get selected the PGC sends you a list of certified Elk Guides.

Are we required as non-residents to use a guide? I'm sure I would try to scrape the cash together to hire one, just wondering if they make us. I put in for either sex, with no zone preference.

Edited by Skillet

Elk Guides: Elk Guides are regulated by the Game Commission and the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources and offer various services to the hunter. Those individuals drawn for elk licenses will be provided a list of permitted guides before the hunt, although they are not required to use a guide.

Yup, I only put in for antlered. Even paying a guide $2K would be way cheaper than going out west for $5-$6K, also the success rates for antlered Elk in PA is pretty much 100%. If you get selected the PGC sends you a list of certified Elk Guides.

Wouldn't even come CLOSE to a western states elk hunt.

I've been appling since the inception, maybe 10 years by now??

So, the way I get it is my name goes into the "hat" 10 times this year. A guy applying this year for the first time gets 1 shot at it. A guy who has applied 3 years gets 3 pokes at it.

I'm still NOT liking my odds. <<grin>>

• 2 weeks later...

The success rates on bull elks are pretty much 100%.

Why is that? Are they semi-domestic or something? .....Just need a game commission guy to tell you where they are and go get one? Seems funny that it would be so difficult out west and so easy here on the east coast. Makes you wonder how much of a hunt it really is. Any thoughts on why it is so easy?

Why is that? Are they semi-domestic or something? .....Just need a game commission guy to tell you where they are and go get one? Seems funny that it would be so difficult out west and so easy here on the east coast. Makes you wonder how much of a hunt it really is. Any thoughts on why it is so easy?

I don't know Doc. I think that maybe it's because so few tags are issued, hunting pressure is almost nonexistent, and the elk haven't yet become super paranoid as a whole? Also, there's not much out there that's going to take down an elk besides a hunter. Maybe a bear killing a calf, but I can't see us having too much competition.

Yeah Biz, it'd be cool just to go see the check-in. I guess the drawing is the 14th this year. Keep yer fingers crossed.

I actually wouldn't be able to make it this year, but wanted to get a preference point. My luck i'd get picked lol

Youtube has tons of PA Elk videos.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I would say the reason for 100% success rate is partially because these elk are used to human presence. Not domesticated per say but w/o question they are used to seeing and having humans quite near them over the years to the point that you can walk up quite close to them. I have been there 3 times in September. 2006, 2008 and 2010 and some are more wary then others but have seen people snapping pics of huge bulls less then 25 feet away. Much to close for safety for sure. I predict at some point in the future a bull will severely hurt or kill one of these stupid people who think they are somewhat tame.