Avian Flu In Wild Turkey

Lawdwaz

1 minute ago, Lawdwaz said:

And the choices are???

(A slight detour on my thread is ok)

Well, I have a big 9x9 dome in camo, which for turkey season or bow season would be preferred, so the critters can't locate my base camp, but it's too big for just me and my gear. Then I have a smaller dome tent and a slightly smaller than that a-frame I could leave the poles behind and use branches to set, I have a really small backpackers dome, but I don't care for it, so it's being sold. Or I could even take the hammock with bug net and a tarp. If it weren't for the bugs that time of year, I could just go tarp shelter. It really is a tough decision. :scratchhead:

51 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

Well, I have a big 9x9 dome in camo, which for turkey season or bow season would be preferred, so the critters can't locate my base camp, but it's too big for just me and my gear. Then I have a smaller dome tent and a slightly smaller than that a-frame I could leave the poles behind and use branches to set, I have a really small backpackers dome, but I don't care for it, so it's being sold. Or I could even take the hammock with bug net and a tarp. If it weren't for the bugs that time of year, I could just go tarp shelter. It really is a tough decision. :scratchhead:

Can you sleep in your vehicle? I've done that before . 

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

Can you sleep in your vehicle? I've done that before . 

My wife's I could, but not mine. Well, unless I keep the hatch open and let my feet hang out. It's not really a concern, but I'm worried about it as much as the bird flu in wild turkeys.

Now, sleeping bags on the other hand.................. Or which shotgun to take.......... Ammo, have to worry about that......... Socks.... Food, oh man, now that's a big one- freeze-dried, canned, fresh............... Do I want to take the fishing gear............ Where to dig the cathole........... What TP to bring....... What knives to take........

2 minutes ago, DirtTime said:

My wife's I could, but not mine. Well, unless I keep the hatch open and let my feet hang out. It's not really a concern, but I'm worried about it as much as the bird flu in wild turkeys.

Now, sleeping bags on the other hand.................. Or which shotgun to take.......... Ammo, have to worry about that......... Socks.... Food, oh man, now that's a big one- freeze-dried, canned, fresh............... Do I want to take the fishing gear............ Where to dig the cathole........... What TP to bring....... What knives to take........

Sounds like a good topic for a new thread?

I haven't heard any alarms for the Avian Flu in the wild turkey population. Not saying it couldn't morph over and decimate the population in certain areas though? Look how Covid 19 is always changing. I'm no biologist, so who knows in this crazy world today?

• Like 1

I've yet to read or hear about any official release of the bird flu in wild turkey here in NYS. I read of an outbreak on LI where it was found in seagulls and in a backyard flock of chickens in NYC.

So, as I said three times now, no, this isn't a concern to me.

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

As far as TP goes ,having babies at home means having diaper wipes . I keep a zip lock full of diaper wipes in my pack ,what a treat when nature calls ,or to clean blood off after field dressing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As far as TP goes ,having babies at home means having diaper wipes . I keep a zip lock full of diaper wipes in my pack ,what a treat when nature calls ,or to clean blood off after field dressing. 

From a guy who carry’s way less than the essentials baby wipes are awkward with me! During deer season they’re a pocket item to keep them from freezing but for turkey they’re in the Fanny pack. It’s so much better for the job than TP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

From a guy who carry’s way less than the essentials baby wipes are awkward with me! During deer season they’re a pocket item to keep them from freezing but for turkey they’re in the Fanny pack. It’s so much better for the job than TP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And way cheaper then hunting socks

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

This thread is a rollercoaster even by HuntingNY standards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I hear there’s a good roller coaster in Cedar Point Ohio !  Also there’s an old school wood one still in operation here in Roch.