Draw deer in front of the camera

fasteddie

One of the guys at Gander Mt said he keeps his Trail Cams set on video . HE takes a bag of C'mere Deer Shake & Take , slits a small "V" in the bottom , shakes a little on the ground and then hangs the bag in the tree by rope . He said that the dampness would kinda clot the opening but when the deer come in and eat what is on the ground , they will get up and reach the bag knocking loose some of the attractant . He said he has gotten a lot of pics this way .

If you find a good location you don't need bait to get nice pictures.Check out the trail cam sections for lots of great pictures.I just posted one the other day, of a awesome 10 point. There is a old apple tree there and the deer just seem to love that spot, even when there are no apples left.I think it maybe a community licking post.

Q: What types of attractants are legal for deer hunting?

A: You may use cover scents and lures, such as doe urine, for deer hunting. However, it is illegal to place a salt block or mineral lick on lands inhabited by deer at any time of year. It is also illegal to feed deer. Some attractants that are marketed for deer are liquids or dissolving powders which deer may not directly consume, but the attractants may entice deer to feed on the material which absorbed the attractant. These types of produces would not be legal.

• 2 weeks later...

food plots are not baiting. Its planting a gardens in wierd places and controling the deer damage. I have every right to protect the turnips, Acorns, Apples, and grass on the property I hunt. Not to mention the young wrist size trees these brutes brutilize with there antlers. Everytime I find a tree brutilized, and its lifes blood running down its ravaged bark I immediatley set up a stand in hopes of exacting revenge if he should return.  ;) 

food plots are not baiting. Its planting a gardens in wierd places and controling the deer damage. I have every right to protect the turnips, Acorns, Apples, and grass on the property I hunt. Not to mention the young wrist size trees these brutes brutilize with there antlers. Everytime I find a tree brutilized, and its lifes blood running down its ravaged bark I immediatley set up a stand in hopes of exacting revenge if he should return.  :D

It's unconscionable what those "brutes" do to our natural resources ! alt=oh Nohttp://www.downsouthhuntingforums.com/images/smiles/help.gif[/img]

food plots are not baiting. Its planting a gardens in wierd places and controling the deer damage. I have every right to protect the turnips, Acorns, Apples, and grass on the property I hunt. Not to mention the young wrist size trees these brutes brutilize with there antlers. Everytime I find a tree brutilized, and its lifes blood running down its ravaged bark I immediatley set up a stand in hopes of exacting revenge if he should return.  :)

This is a new view on the justification of foodplots and managing deer.

I like it, bit it's a weak argument that approaches the "Tree Huggers" viewpoint.

A different slant on the topic all the same. LOL  :O

Don't know when the situation would arise, but do you mind if I quote you?

BTW - I feel the same about the cute, furry bunnies being brutilized by those big nasty foxes & coyotes!

• 2 weeks later...

Some things that you can use that do work are pure vanilla extract, anise, apple juice in a squirt bottle, urine (deer and human), etc... Sure helps to get the deer to stop walking, as they are curious and stop to check it out.

Vanilla and anise are used in some urine based lures for deer (remember the old Vanilla Killa scent and Trails End 307?) as well as some trapping lures. Non-threatening, sweet, curiosity inducing scent. I know a guy who swears by using pure vanilla extract.

I've used concentrated apple juice, watered down enough to go through a small squirt bottle, as a cover scent also when I'm hunting. I hunt around apple orchards and have numerous crabapple trees around also. I've also sprayed it in shooting lanes where I want a deer to stop.

I've read a couple of stories about attracting deer that were so absurd I almost believing them.

A white 5gal pail thrown on a deer trail within 25 yds of camera or bow shot.

Deer's curiosity - can't resist investigating the pail.

Another was a person that typically cut firewood on hunting property.

Ran chainsaw for 4-5 minutes, shut it off and positioned camera or yourself.

Apparently deer come in to see if vegetation (leaves) is available.

that chain saw one makes me laugh!!...some years ago I was in my stand and a few hundred yrds away on anothers property I hear this chain saw...I listen and it starts...then stops and so on with several minutes pause in between...and from what I'm hearing in my 20 ft perch...it sounds like it's in the trees?!...Well It starts to drive me a bit nuts...really this went on for a while...later I find out ...that it was in the trees and the guy was trying to attract deer...Sweet Jimminy...he was sitting on the edge of a alfalfa field...what more would you really need during bow season...not sure if it was a kids toy chain saw or what...just annoying....lol

that chain saw one makes me laugh!!...some years ago I was in my stand and a few hundred yrds away on anothers property I hear this chain saw...I listen and it starts...then stops and so on with several minutes pause in between...and from what I'm hearing in my 20 ft perch...it sounds like it's in the trees?!...Well It starts to drive me a bit nuts...really this went on for a while...later I find out ...that it was in the trees and the guy was trying to attract deer...Sweet Jimminy...he was sitting on the edge of a alfalfa field...what more would you really need during bow season...not sure if it was a kids toy chain saw or what...just annoying....lol

wow.. some guys will try anything. I wonder if the chain saw was wrapped in scent lok haha

• 4 weeks later...

I asked about the fact that it might be illegal . He said they used to have to post a notice in the store but no longer . I was under the impression that you had to remove any bait 30 days before season opened ,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I was at Bass Pro a few weeks ago in Auburn and they had a sign posted stating it was illegal.