Broadheads!?!!!

deerpassion

haha... ya lets just say i've done my homework.... got a ticket the first few days I was up here in Tonawanda WMA at the shooting range for parking on the grass.. $125 later I said no more! certainly been a challenge too, like how your not allowed to have the light on your sight to help illuminate your pins at low light, where is that anywhere on the DEC website OR the hunters handbook... they just expect you to live and learn!?! everything and I mean everything seems to be lose termed and have to much room for interpretation for the officer to express whatever mood he/she is in that day!

Sight lights are legal provided they don't send light down range. It's actually spelled out some where plain as day but I'm sure some one gave you a hard time.

haha... ya lets just say i've done my homework.... got a ticket the first few days I was up here in Tonawanda WMA at the shooting range for parking on the grass.. $125 later I said no more! certainly been a challenge too, like how your not allowed to have the light on your sight to help illuminate your pins at low light, where is that anywhere on the DEC website OR the hunters handbook... they just expect you to live and learn!?! everything and I mean everything seems to be lose termed and have to much room for interpretation for the officer to express whatever mood he/she is in that day!

You are allowed a light, as long as it doesnt project a beam at the target.

Oops, doe beat me to it.

http://www.dec.ny.go...tdoor/8310.html

Ther you go, way down the page.

hmmmm, just finished bow class last week as we don't have that in FL, and the instructor that has been teaching it for thirty some years bla bla bla said they were illegal.. goes to show ya even experience doesn't mean ya know everything... thanks, that's a huge help... i'll probly take it of and stuff it in my pack before I hike out just incase I run into the man...

Half the instructors, DEC, etc dont know the laws. Ive heard of instructors that said tree stands are illegal on state land, etc. DEC officers that said spotlighting is illegal. When in doubt, do your best to look it up, if you cant find it, email DEC and ask. The laws in this state are pretty convoluted and extremely complicated at times.

When in doubt, do your best to look it up, if you cant find it, email DEC and ask.

Better yet throw the question out on this forum and get the popcorn ready.

Just when you think you have heard or seen it all some one has some question or dilemma that leaves you scratching your head.

• Like 3

I have been using the rage 2 blade for the past 3 seasons. I killed 3 deer with them, and on those deer they were "as advertised". Big wound channel, good blood, etc. However, I also lost 1 deer with them because they didn't open. I've seen guys claim the same thing either here or on other sites, and what followed was a whole argument on how that "couldn't be". In my case I know it happened. My shot was 5 yards, it was a pass through, had at least one lung good and probably the back part of the other. Since i was hunting on pine needles and sand, any little blood that I had was impossible to see. I've seen what the rage does when it opens. Had it opened I would have had great blood and would have found that deer quickly.

Anyway, this year I am considering trying the shwacker or the grim reaper. The reviews on cabelas website are very very good for the grim reaper, so I am leaning that way.

I would like to shoot a fixed head. In my mind, they are the best option. But I just havent gotten around to figuring out the whole tuning thing. I'm not a really "techy" person and messing with bow is a little intimidating to me. So far, I've relied upon the tech at my bow shop. But unfortunatley, my they hasnt been exactly receptive to spending the time with me to get my bow to shoot a fixed head straight. At some point....

seems to me that the bottom line is your story had better check out... such as, " I was a 45 minute walk back in, took me 20 minutes to dress em as it was getting dark, and I'm a big guy but draggin a deer out that far took me for everything I had so it took me quite a while with a few breaks every now n then... " that would put you back at the truck at around 7/7:30/ 8:00 if its a pig of a deer... I truly don't think they would have a problem with that... now if you wander back to your truck with your gun or bow and its 9 / 10 oclock at night with a deer, somethings a little fishy...

seems to me that the bottom line is your story had better check out... such as, " I was a 45 minute walk back in, took me 20 minutes to dress em as it was getting dark, and I'm a big guy but draggin a deer out that far took me for everything I had so it took me quite a while with a few breaks every now n then... " that would put you back at the truck at around 7/7:30/ 8:00 if its a pig of a deer... I truly don't think they would have a problem with that... now if you wander back to your truck with your gun or bow and its 9 / 10 oclock at night with a deer, somethings a little fishy...

Wrong Thread??

So i stopped at Dicks in Garden City to pick up a pack of swhackers. Much to my shagrin they dont carry them in the store. Only online. So i went online and saw the 100gr 2" cut for $40 not including shipping. Tried Amazon and they had them for $32 plus $8 shipping. So i tried ebay. Bowhunterss superstore had them for $27.99 with free shipping. I ordered them. Should get them by 8/28. :)

If you like schwackers...the ulmer edge is even better.

I don't shoot them but wow, those are some fine heads. I've had good luck with Grim Reapers. Only mech I like so far, really. I'll try the edges soon enough. I really like the capability to tighten the screw so they blade don't deploy and you can practice shoot them.

Edited by phade

Thats what i bought for my first year out hope they do well by me

I had a brand new bow and all the bells and whistles last year. let a bunch of little bucks go and never had a good one or doe within range.....I am dying to use it and those broadheads too. I have 3 buddies that use them with great results. Good Luck

So i stopped at Dicks in Garden City to pick up a pack of swhackers. Much to my shagrin they dont carry them in the store. Only online. So i went online and saw the 100gr 2" cut for $40 not including shipping. Tried Amazon and they had them for $32 plus $8 shipping. So i tried ebay. Bowhunterss superstore had them for $27.99 with free shipping. I ordered them. Should get them by 8/28. :)

ya the only store I have seen them physically on the rack is Bass Pro... but great! I think you'll be happy with em B)

If you like schwackers...the ulmer edge is even better.

I don't shoot them but wow, those are some fine heads. I've had good luck with Grim Reapers. Only mech I like so far, really. I'll try the edges soon enough. I really like the capability to tighten the screw so they blade don't deploy and you can practice shoot them.

those do look pretty sweet, especially the set screw feature... same overall design except rear deployment, but I do like that both superior and inferior edges are sharp... might be somthin to look into once I have exhausted the 5 shwackers I have left...

:superblue: just give me muzzy 100gr

I used to shoot Muzzy's too until last season when I shot a deer and the blades bent over like the top of a tuna can. Didnt like that too much so I switched to Hellrazors. I liked them too but I wanted more cut so now im using the spitfire maxx. Cant wait to see what damage they do.

I think I just might try the swhackers. They look sturdy. I had a bad experiance just the other day with Rockys. It up under bow hunting.

These swhackers look like the real deal. I went into Gander today but they did'nt have them. They did have the ulmers that looked very similar. I think they were about $40.00

I'd check out the ulmers...AT had a thread on there where a member did a huge test of a variety of heads...and edges cam out at the top or near it. Now, that's not to say the test was scientific, but it was pretty impressive.

I really like the edges...if I didn't have a stockpile of my current heads, I'd be buying them.