what animal in NYS....

growalot

Would dig up, pulling the comb out of a ground bee nest...they looked like yellow jackets...but I was running away so???... throwing dirt rocks and comb 2ft away?...by the way...really look good at a distance...before bending over and examining a newly dug hole in the ground..... :O

Also same goes for sorting laundry in your basement...grabbed a towel and felt a bite...pulled back to find a snake on my finger this afternoon....Garter...he's still down there...hiding under a tool cabinet....

Probably raccoons. They love yellow jacket larvae! Every year, they tear the hell out of my tree tubes to get to the yellow jacket nests/larvae inside! http://huntingny.com/forums/topic/10635-damn-raccoons/

I found a yellow jackets ground nest (the HARD way) last summer while brushhogging. The hole was about 2" in diameter. I sprinkled some Sevin over the hole to kill the bees. The next day, all the bee's were dead. The following day, I thought I'd finish mowing, and the hole was now ~12" in diameter and the nest was destroyed! Raccoons tore it up to get to the larvae!

Lol...being NY specific didn't work... I see haha...Well that's informative...I figured bear or skunk...hoping bear....but raccoon surprised me...We have plenty of skunk and raccoon...have to say I was suspicious of every bit of disturbed earth I encountered today

The snake...well Mr.B. just called and asked if I caught it yet....NO!...I'm not crawling around on a concrete floor peering under metal cabinets not knowing where he is...and having no clue as to how he got in....Aahhh just another day.....

I hadn't thought of a coon, Growie, but since they are closly related to black bears, that would make them a prime candidate...

Aardvarks, badgers and armored dildoes would also be prime candidates, if they only existed in NY...

But who KNOWS..??.. Perhaps the DEC has subversivly stocked THEM along with the coyotes, pumacougars, and wolves...

• Like 1

dont porkies like bees too?

I think porkies are pretty much total vegetarians. They eat a lot of tree bark , twigs and other browse.. They do like corn, though..

In my coon hunting days we had quite a few hound/porkie encounters in cornfields.

These are all normal days for me...been like this since I was a little kid...lo..

PS...last time this happened to me ..I was at my sisters farm house up in south Dansville...not far from stoney brook...throwing ball from kitchen through dinning to living room...well the last time Strider wouldn't get the ball....whining and such...I went and bent down to get it on outer wall/floor and hear ...Ticcc..tictictictic and freeze....stretched out along where the floor and wall meet is about a 2ft rattler...lucky no bite that day...I had no one around with a car...they had moved in a little while before and I ran to get a moving blanket to trap it before it got into the register....nope....not fast enough...they had to have the house fogged..with some thing and we had to leave for a couple of days...Josh my nephew was just a couple of months old....I was ..I think 17 at the time..that was the same house you could not walk behind...two bees would chase you back into house and buzz the screen door...at night all you could hear through the back wall was buzzing...a bee keeper came out...the entire back of house had to be removed...old wood siding...two stories...it was one giant honey comb....the bee keeper thought he hit GOLD...took bees...most of honey but sister got many canning jars full of it...they had bkl cherrys behind the house...good honey

Edited by growalot

I thought she meant wild pigs at first...when out with the surveyors I found 2 more dug out bees nest...these where much bigger...some thing is cleaning up my woods and I'm happy about it...though...hhhmmm where are these bees going???? :unsure: ...I'm still looking for that snake in the basement....lol