I made an interesting observation last night...

regulat0r

I made a very interesting observation about deer recognizing changes to their surroundings...

I was in my backyard last night practicing and shooting at my decoy/target. I decided to put up the base of my climber up a tree and an extension ladder next to it so i could get up and down easily after i shot my arrows. I wanted to practice shooting at a realistic downward angle.

Anyway...I live behind a good size patch of woods and there are always deer in my neighborhood and yard. At dusk, I was finishing up my practice and sitting on my deck. At the same time, a bunch of deer made their way to my yard including a nice 6 pointer. I was watching them the whole time. When they meandered to the edge of my property where my stand was recently set up, THEY PINNED IT RIGHT OUT! All 6 of the deer looked right up at it and stared at it. They knew something was different about that area and knew exactly what it was. They kept looking up at it and stopped every few steps to look some more.

I figured if they could pick that out, then deer near our stand sights will also notice when we hang stands even weeks before the season and it might make them cautious.

Lesson learned: deer are very aware of new chages to their environment and we need to always be careful as to not alert them of our precence!!

It just goes to show that early preparation definately makes a huge difference. The earlier a stand is hung, the longer deer will have to get used to its presence. I try, not always, but I try to hang any new stands in March or April based on what I noticed during the previous season.

Difference between a climber and ladder stand.when I was younger I used climber stands I would have deer walk right past or under me,Most of the time 20' up'. Now I use ladder stands,only hunt my own property and the are up there all year long.The deer think they are just part of the trees.Same with My pop up blinds,which I had them bedded 8' away.And they are faded from wood pattern camo to a reddish color camo..

What you had setup was basically a ladder stand. That's why I get mine moved around by mid July at the latest.

Set a new one up in June and have photos & videos of bucks & does right in front of it.

Eventually, when they get used to it & no longer feel threatened they aren't bothered by it.

Guessing that hang-ons with the strap on steps (or screw-in steps) are a little less noticeable to them.

Its the combo of scent and sight.

Just because it is a yard, doesn't mean scent won't alarm them. Think about it...you just tripped two of their three triggers (sight, sound, smell).

More damage is done by scent left behind in the woods than any stand.

Edited by phade

Its the combo of scent and sight.

Just because it is a yard, doesn't mean scent won't alarm them. Think about it...you just tripped two of their three triggers (sight, sound, smell).

More damage is done by scent left behind in the woods than any stand.

True in the woods, but in the back yard probably not so much.. those deer are use to human scent when visiting the back yard... they are still aware of the presence of human scent, but I don't believe that is what made them aware of the stand... I'm thinking it is more like PAV said... they are keenly aware of their surroundings and any changes in it.

True in the woods, but in the back yard probably not so much.. those deer are use to human scent when visiting the back yard... they are still aware of the presence of human scent, but I don't believe that is what made them aware of the stand... I'm thinking it is more like PAV said... they are keenly aware of their surroundings and any changes in it.

The combo is likely what did it...scent that was minutes old attached to a new item.