How to grow hunter numbers in New York?

defrazzle

I agree mike... my kids responded well to hunting small game... where they got some action... they just want an opportunity to pull the trigger on something... that gives them a thrill.

Not trying to diss you, but I am not sure my point is coming across... (Off course this program is different than teaching your own kids to share your passion and hunt with you). I think it is more than action because the whole experience seems to lend itself well for the purpose of learning to appreciate hunting and its role in conservation. I suppose you can set up a "deer camp" instead of a "duck camp". But how do you to tie it to conservation - with a negative message how the deer starve and so on and so forth? Contrast that with this duck camp where the message was positive and discussed wetland conservation and its positive impact on the game they were pursuing.

Anything with the word "youth" in it has become the sacred cow in the world of hunting the past decade... This nation-wide youth hunt craze needs to be quantified... Lets see the results on paper with a statistically robust study - how effective are these youth seasons???

The kids from hunting families are likely to hunt - especially if parents say no to electronics and athletics... It isnt realistic to get other peoples kids from non shooting families into guns and hunting.... Some of those kids can be salvaged from metrosexuality when they are adults... Studies are starting to show that adults or young adults are more likely to stick with it anyway...

The following shows a nine percent increase in hunters nationwide, but the influx of females is probably as much a factor as youth recruits...

Hunting, fishing, and wildlife-watching activities have increased in 28 U.S. states over the last five years, according to a report released this week by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS). The 2011 National Survey of Fishing, Hunting, and Wildlife-Associated Recreation State Overview Report shows that the largest increase – 47 percent – occurred in Alaska, with Louisiana a close second at 40 percent.

The State Overview is the second of a series of reports on the National Survey, which has been conducted every five years by the U.S. Census Bureau since 1955. The Bureau interviewed residents of 48,627 households across the country to estimate the number of hunters, anglers, and wildlife-watchers active in all 50 states, and to also measure how much money they spend on related equipment, travel, taxes, and license fees.

The report reveals that South Dakota has the highest proportion of residents who hunt – 21 percent. Alaska beats all other states at the percentage of fishermen – 41 percent. And Vermont has the most wildlife-watchers – 53 percent.

Part one of the National Survey report, called the National Overview, was released in August 2012 and gives an overview of hunting, fishing, and wildlife-associated recreation participation and expenditures at the national level. Nationwide, people spent $145 billion dollars on these activities in 2011. The funds provide vital support to rural communities as well as conservation efforts, and are a reflection of the public’s commitment to preserving wildlife, said USFWS Director Dan Ashe in a press release.

The National Overview also reports that the number of U.S. residents that either hunt, fish, or watch wildlife increased by 2.6 million to 91.1 million since 2006 and includes 38 percent of all Americans over the age of 16. The amount of recreation by anglers increased by 11 percent, and hunting increased by 9 percent – reversing a 10 percent decline in hunting during the previous decade between 1996 and 2006.

The USFWS will release a final version of the two documents in November in addition to individual reports for all 50 states on a rolling schedule beginning in December. The reports are especially important to state and federal natural resources agencies to ensure that opportunities for hunting, fishing, and outdoor recreation continue to be provided.

Edited by mike rossi

I feel the best way to improve the hunting numbers are to get parents involved. I have an 8 year old and twin 7 yr olds, all of which love being outdoors (camping, fishing, geocaching, etc.) because my wife and I love being outdoors. I have not taken my kids in the field with me yet during any type of hunt, but one of my twin boys is really showing an interest this year so a ground blind may be in order. They enjoy the outdoors because my wife and I make the outdoors a priority in vacations and weekends. Hunting is definitely something they see as normal and fun and cool at this point...crossing my fingers that their middle school years don't take that away!

My issue with bringing another child on a hunt besides my own is many. Regardless of how safety conscience we all are, hunting is a dangerous game and I do not know if I could handle that responsibility with another person's child, even with their blessing. Secondly, I know I would NEVER send my child with some one else regardless of their credentials or experience. Now if I can get my friend who has three kids involved, the link to his children is made more easily. Starting at the youth level is the wrong way to go because we need their parents to buy in first.

The kids from hunting families are likely to hunt - especially if parents say no to electronics and athletics... It isnt realistic to get other peoples kids from non shooting families into guns and hunting.... Some of those kids can be salvaged from metrosexuality when they are adults... Studies are starting to show that adults or young adults are more likely to stick with it anyway...

Now there is a most interesting point. So we can't trust priests, teachers, baby sitters, summer camp counselors, etc., with our kids and you guys think a parent is going to trust their kid with someone just because they claim to be a sportsman?? Unless this person is very, VERY well known by the parent or parents of this kid, having strangers mentoring their kids on hunting trips is not likely to happen very often in todays world.

Now there is a most interesting point. So we can't trust priests, teachers, baby sitters, summer camp counselors, etc., with our kids and you guys think a parent is going to trust their kid with someone just because they claim to be a sportsman?? Unless this person is very, VERY well known by the parent or parents of this kid, having strangers mentoring their kids on hunting trips is not likely to happen very often in todays world.

My point exactly...nor would I be willing to accept that responsibility for another's child

My point exactly...nor would I be willing to accept that responsibility for another's child

Not like adults haven't abused kids in all sorts of ways, but it's not unheard of where kids have falsely accused adults also. Or been falsely accused by the parents of these kids. One can definitely open themselves up to big trouble by simply trying to be a nice. It's not worth the risk for most. We shouldn't forget that most of these mentors will be male. As a male there is absolutely NO way that I would babysit, teach, coach, etc. a kid or kids that are not my own without a woman present. Just NO way. And then I would want to take one into the woods all by myself???

So bring the parent with you in such a case, not like it would kill the parent to be involved in their own childs interests.

Not like I love playing or talking Pokemon with my son but I do my best to act like its interesting to me because he loves it.

I can just imagine taking some mothers I have known along. They would probably be bitching up a storm before you all got to the stand. They'd complain about everything from the weather, to the rough terrain, to asking you where you were trained to operate firearms. LOL Boy, I think that would be a hunting trip I'd really want to miss. LOL

I can just imagine taking some mothers I have known along. They would probably be bitching up a storm before you all got to the stand. They'd complain about everything from the weather, to the rough terrain, to asking you where you were trained to operate firearms. LOL Boy, I think that would be a hunting trip I'd really want to miss. LOL

Yes, I'll only mentor qualified youths through a questionaire..lol

1: Are your parents a pain in the butt?

Yes, I'll only mentor qualified youths through a questionaire..lol

1: Are your parents a pain in the butt?

And the typical child of today will answer. "Yes, they are a HUGE pain in the butt!! That is why I want someone to teach me how to shoot and kill, so I can get them off my back once and for all!" LOL

Threads like this remind me why my family gets attention in hunting type settings when we show up all together, 3yr old, 8yr old, mother and father. I guess its just not the norm any more. The first question I ask no matter where we go is always, "Can my kids come with me" if no then we don't go most times, although I have not encountered any no's that I can think of. Hell the guys at the gun range watched our kids while we shot skeet a few weeks ago.

Not trying to diss you, but I am not sure my point is coming across... (Off course this program is different than teaching your own kids to share your passion and hunt with you). I think it is more than action because the whole experience seems to lend itself well for the purpose of learning to appreciate hunting and its role in conservation. I suppose you can set up a "deer camp" instead of a "duck camp". But how do you to tie it to conservation - with a negative message how the deer starve and so on and so forth? Contrast that with this duck camp where the message was positive and discussed wetland conservation and its positive impact on the game they were pursuing.

The key is getting their interest first I think.. once you have their attention the message sinks in much better.. kind of like many of us getting more conservation conscious as we get older... if they don't get some excitement out of it they are probably going to be less interested in its importance... be nice if it worked the other way around, but I'm not sure it does with youngsters. After I had my kids hooked it was easy to talk about all aspects of hunting, conservation, ethics, etc. in more depth... that's what we would do when we weren't actually out hunting, but home talking abouta new common interest we could share.

Edited by nyantler

The key is getting their interest first I think.. once you have their attention the message sinks in much better.. kind of like many of us getting more conservation conscious as we get older... if they don't get some excitement out of it they are probably going to be less interested in its importance... be nice if it worked the other way around, but I'm not sure it does with youngsters. After I had my kids hooked it was easy to talk about all aspects of hunting, conservation, ethics, etc. in more depth... that's what we would do when we weren't actually out hunting, but home talking abouta new common interest we could share.

OK, but everybody's interest is not sparked by the same thing... With the students in this video, it certainly does work the other way around - they were all interested in conservation but most were not interested or were even opposed to hunting...

OK, but everybody's interest is not sparked by the same thing... With the students in this video, it certainly does work the other way around - they were all interested in conservation but most were not interested or were even opposed to hunting...

A great idea to educate non-hunters or even anti hunters on the importance of conservation.. not sure its a good way necessarily to grow hunter numbers.. but I'm all for educating anyone on conservation.

Down here, it's definitely loss of hunting opportunities. All the places we used to hunt when I was a kid, are now buried beneath $700,000 homes. Out of four of us that hunted in my family, I'm the only one who still does. I have my own reservations about even bothering to "hunt" anymore. It's all "hole in the wall" hunting here anymore, and there's damned good odds that someone who moved up from down below, will call the cops when they hear a gunshot. It's happened to me. To me, this is not hunting. Hell, you can hear people talking, the traffic, and everything else, while "hunting". You're definitely not going to have any solitude here-I can tell you that. Everyone I know that gave it up, is for the reason mentioned-no place to hunt here anymore.

Our best bet is to introduce adults to hunting

August 21, 2012

I RAN MY FIRST youth duck hunt in 2000. Our Manitoba event was the first organized youth duck hunt in Canada. I was excited then about getting youth outdoors, and I'm still pumped up about it. My best trophies are still first duck pictures.

120821-mentoring.jpgWhen I started down the youth hunt path, I wasn't thinking too hard about the outcomes. A youth hunt felt good — and it was good. It provided as much reward to me as I was giving to my little hunting buddies.

More than a decade later, I'm taking a harder look at our own youth hunt programs and asking deeper questions.

"Take a kid hunting; Take a kid fishing."

If the subject wasn't so important, you might make the case that these slogans are almost cliché nowadays. Sure, we should all endeavor to take a kid hunting. But when you take a child afield, do they, in fact, end up hunting for the long term?

When we started our youth hunting program at Delta Waterfowl, we were talking a lot about the need to tap into new kinds of groups of kids within circles like 4H or on youth sports teams to get "new" kids into hunting. Ten years of experience has shown our thinking was mostly off-base.

Successfully mentoring youth can be a tricky business, as it turns out. To take a child who is brand new to hunting out in the marsh, you need the approval of the parents. Getting permission can be a mean feat, and no wonder. Would you let a stranger take your kid anywhere, let alone afield with a firearm?

Moreover, even if you do get a newbie child afield, who will take the youngster out several more times that fall and in subsequent years to ensure the kid has a fighting chance to remain a hunter after the glow of the first hunt wears off?

To create more than a one-time experience for a child, it's critical that you identify the ongoing source of mentorship right up front. If you can't provide it yourself and there is nobody else to take the child hunting on an ongoing basis, there's a pretty good chance it's one-and-done. And hey, that's all right, too. The child, and you, will be better off for the experience.

We've found the best chance of creating a new young hunter is to look for kids closely related to you, or who have a parent or other mentor in the family. You can easily get the social license to take the child out, and you have identified a source of ongoing mentorship. Quality of the mentoring relationship is the key, not quantity.

Consider that if we all create two new hunters in our lifetimes, we'll be more than holding our own in numbers. So look close to home first — I bet all of you have a nephew or niece who would love to go hunting.

And if you really want to start a fire that will keep burning, take an adult hunting. We have a nearly 50 percent success rate creating new hunters when we introduce adults. They have their own transportation, money to buy the required licenses and gear and less liability issues than kids. It's like stocking a 10-pound trout or planting a full-grown tree.

If you want to really get strategic with your mentoring, take a woman. If she picks up waterfowling, it's nearly a slam dunk that her kids will hunt, too.

I'll be taking kids hunting till I die. I believe it's one of the things I was put on earth to do. But now, I'll be taking my nephews first and looking for a full-grown tree or two to put in the ground, too.

Create two new hunters and put two ducks back for each one we shoot: That's our mission if we choose to accept it. It's far from impossible.

Rob Olson is president of Delta Waterfowl

I made the point way back about lowering license prices as well as trusting mentors with strange kids. Defrazzle, how did your interview go? Any new developments?

You did say that and this article resonates with what you said and makes some other good points. The big concern among the USFWS and state agencies such as the NY DEC, is that the loss of hunters is a loss of conservation funding. So reducing license fees would have to be calculated carefully. I dont think most hunters are aware that there already has been discussions among wildlife agencies about the need to derive conservation funding from non hunters in the future.

If you create more access to hunting lands you will create more hunters.. it is kind of a "build it and they will come" situation. Most guys give up hunting because they have no access to a place to hunt that is convenient for them.

Love farmers but that is the biggest reason I HATE nusance permits. They remove a benefit to have us there.