doe urine during rut

mac

I may try using doe urine scent this rut season . can anyone share any experiences good or bad that they have had ? and how long should I keep it out in the area that i'm hunting.. one day at a time, couple of nights in a row, or just keep freshening it up every so often ?

I have had real good luck with doe in heat urine during the rut. The very first buck I ever took with a bow, came running into Tink's that I set out.

Put out three or four scent cans around your stand ( during the rut) and hang them about 5 ft off the ground. Take them with you after each hunt. Don't leave them out.

I normally use Tink's but there are other good ones out there. You want doe in heat urine during the rut, not just doe urine.

Good luck

I used some last year over a fresh scrape i found. i found the scrape in the afternoon and hung a scent wick over it with the scent below. the next morning i got a pic of the buck below smelling it while i was hunting in a different spot so i guess it works. The scent i was using was very strong and ill def be buying another bottle this year.

http://www.cabelas.com/scents-scent-eliminators-james-valley-scents-lethal-weapon-gel-2.shtml

photo.jpg

I have never once had any luck at all with scents. Ive tried everything from the cheap store bought to the straight from the deer farm, expensive stuff. Other than preorbital for mock scrapes this year, Im done using scents. I find that scent control and playing the wind work far better than any scent out there.

• Like 1

I've had the best luck laying a scent trail on the way to my stand. I've used various scents, but haven't found any that really shine. I use the Retract-A-Drag for laying scent trails, then wind it up like a fishing reel, and hang it up in a tree near my stand. I love the retract-a-drag, as I never have to touch or put my scent on the pad strips. http://www.cabelas.com/scent-accessories-retract-a-drag-combo.shtml

99% of my scent use comes with decoy use.

The other 1% is with a combo drag of a doe in heat with a buck urine...I use the gels from Northern Whitetail. I've had quite a few buck encounters with it.

I won't use scent otherwise...pretty much scent use is maybe 4-5 times during the season.

I have never once had any luck at all with scents. Ive tried everything from the cheap store bought to the straight from the deer farm, expensive stuff. Other than preorbital for mock scrapes this year, Im done using scents. I find that scent control and playing the wind work far better than any scent out there.

Not a slam bud but do you think maybe you are going about things the wrong way. I guess its not for everyone in every area but i have had many mature bucks turn inside out to try and find a well laid scent trail. I say dont give up on it and keep trying scents. Once you have a mature buck come in to it during bow season, You will be hooked!!!

Over the years, I too have had several good bucks come in on doe estrus scent. One thing I noticed in my experience is when they come in on that scent they are very cautious and don;t just roll right out and offer a shot. They'll circle the area sniffing around before they move in close. Sometimes they'll just keep going back and forth, staying down wind for what seems like forever. More times than I care to admit, they;ve busted own scent in the process.

• Like 1

Not a slam bud but do you think maybe you are going about things the wrong way. I guess its not for everyone in every area but i have had many mature bucks turn inside out to try and find a well laid scent trail. I say dont give up on it and keep trying scents. Once you have a mature buck come in to it during bow season, You will be hooked!!!

I may be, I just cant justify spending money on something after trying it in different ways off and on over 20 years of hunting and never once having it work. Its like rattling for me, doesnt seem to work at all. Ive had calls work, but thats about it.

You are talking about using urine on scrapes, right? I have probably killed more scrapes than I have killed deer over by putting "doe urine, doe pee, or whatever is in that bottle on a hot scrape." Have I killed bucks over scrape that were freshened with buck/and or doe pee? Sure.

But the important question that can not be answered is..."How many deer, bucks and does have been spooked by augmenting a scrape with something bought and in a bottle? Or course it is a retorical question... but the point is, in my heart I believe that more hunts have been ruined by the hasty and incorrect application of scents to natural and mock scrapes than have been enhanced.

In my experience, deer do not care much for urine based scents but are more interested in the pre-orbital and saliva based scents on the overhanging branch...above the scrape.

• Like 1

Again, it's not foolproof, but when used correctly, it can work. It's NOT something you use often. Can you do more damage than good? Certainly.

I cover quite a few of the larger buck harvests in NY and in my conversations, I'd say there is about 1 in 5 were shot coming in off a drag line of sorts. Now, that's purely anecdotal, but it does work when used correctly. Dan Bedell's buck, which was talked about here a few years ago...was shot in large due to the drag line he set.

I vividly remember a drag line I set brought two good bucks in within 15 minutes birddog style, I'm talking eyes so wide and rolled backed so much I could barely see their pupils, fleming, etc. It was likely the most intense hunting moment of my life. The came right to the end of the trail. Of course...I had shot a smaller buck about 45 minutes before that and was letting it sit before tracking...so all I could do was watch these bucks from between the grates of my stand.

I think it is more reasonable to use it on ground that you won't hunt right away again...if you only have one 40 acre parcel to hunt...then that changes things. I think that's where most people get messed up...its how they use and in correlation with their hunting situation.

That is a drag line. It attached to your foot or ankle and has a rope with a few feet on it. At the end of the rope is a scent wick that drags behind you while your walking leaving a trail of scent to your stand. I actually had luck with a drag line twice where bucks came right down my trail following it right to the base of my tree.

John

Edited by mbucks27

I use buck urine under my decoy...and use to use doe with a drag...until one walk in through an open field...I'd heard two bucks fighting across the road in the dark...decided to start my drag early....2 hundred yards out...bent down to tie the drag line to my boot...

That's when I heard the rush of brush and guttural grunt...I stood up letting out..a rather involuntary yelp/scream and thrusting my bow out in front of me...it was pitch blk. ...

That buck darn near did a back flip and he was close enough for me to smell...feel the rush of air and see the wht of his chest...that was one long walk/run to stand and I don't use drags any more...unless food based scent

I haven't had a whole lot of luck with scents either, but I DID have a buck come in behind me once when I had the Tinks out, he had a wild look on his face, LOL. But most of the time I feel like I'm just getting conned by the gimmick/gadget guys at Hunter Specialties, maybe the deer are getting wise? Never had a whole lot of luck with grunting, rattling, or The Can, either. I have my best luck bow hunting by staying as scent-proof as possible, sitting still, and just putting in my time.

Mammal urine is mammal urine, I have pee'd into scrapes myself and have watched deer come to them and freshen them many times afterwards as well. Doe urine just means a deer passed by. I have also seen deer spoke from the store bought stuff. I prefer to be as scent free as possible and watch the wind. I am always cautious about scents, because a deer is going to do what if they smell something, go on the alert and start looking. I don't want them on the alert or looking for anything, I prefer them relaxed and just coming by.

only thing i do is spray my boots with doe urine for the walk in, not doe in heat either.

with where my stands are and how my property is set up in conjunction with the way the deer move, im hunting the area i just walked through and before i started using the doe urine if a deer would meet my trail it was instantly on the alert. now with the doe urine they dont even think twice and stay calm.

i have tried making a mock scrape and using my own urine, it did work, was worth a few pics of bucks but was in an area i dont regularly hunt.

i prefer being scent free and silent. partially because i hunt an area that in total besides the fields is about 10 acres of woods and its one big funnel anyway so the deer will be there at one point or another regardless.

NO WAY, Grow, amazing what happens to you or in front of you or around you amazing

Paula ...I suppose I really have to tell you...I'm not the only person that has had a buck charge or actually in some cases chase them while in the vicinity of doe estrus....If fact worked with a woman who was chased all the way home because a buck caught her "estrus" while taking a walk down the road...

But if you were being snide...here's some thing to latch on to 54yrs old having spent most of my life in and around woods...daily....one tends to have experiences...and that buck incident was just one of many...there's some ammo for ya... ;)

If not being snide ...it really is amazing having those experiences...well... after my heart sinks out of my throat....lol