send letters for crossbows in NY

I get a kick out of how all the "no" items are broken into specific small parts  and the "yes" items are generalized... hmmmm...

How about these:

shoots a projectile with fletchings.. yes

shoots a projectile with a nock.. yes

Has a serving on the string.. yes

fires a projectile at less than 400 fps..yes

projectile doesn't load into a magazine...yes

Doesn't go BOOM!... yes

Can purchase at any archery shop... yes

Can be repaired at the local gunsmith shop... no

Lmao

There is a lot of name calling for this being a dead issue sources at the DEC have said cross – bows in the archery season in 5 years or less.

This will make for good reading look at this link pay attention to pages 10 -13

Unfortunately, there has been a lot of name calling. It amazes me how people will talk to one another when they are not face to face.

That survey is not representative of my feelings on any topic.

Youth hunts...youths should be able to hunt with an adult at the start of any regular season.

I won't get on that one here, we have enough saving of the world to do with these xguns...

Or rather, a cross between a bow, and  gun..so why not call it a xgun instead of a xbow.

Guns normally rely on igniting an charge which is the energy behind the projectile, thus the name "firearms"

The energy of a projectile fired from a crossbow comes from the stored enegy in a set of bow limbs; big difference.

Guns are generally fired by placing the stock into your shoulder, using a scope as an aiming device, then pulling the trigger to "project" the projectile.

We can argue symantics all day long, but if you think that a xgun is a bow, then you are mistaken...it is neither, which brings into question the validity of it being included into a season designated for "bow only".

Give it it's own season, preferably eating into the rifle season, and be done with it. But, try to bring it into the bow season, and that's where the fight begins.

OK Einstein it's a gun right, don't matter it will be in your bow season sooner or later no matter what you wanna call it, get a life....

OK Einstein it's a gun right, don't matter it will be in your bow season sooner or later no matter what you wanna call it, get a life....

Now I'm convinced that you can't be any older than 14 -16 years old.

Maybe your mother should see what your up to, and the disrespect you show your elders. I'm sure she thinks she raised you better.

And for the record, it's not "my" bowseason, it's "our" bowseason.

The State of New York

I get a kick out of how all the "no" items are broken into specific small parts  and the "yes" items are generalized... hmmmm...

How about these:

Doesn't go BOOM!... yes

Lmao

Don't be a fibber. >:)

There are numerous crossbows that launch bolts faster than 400fps.

How about these:

Doesn't go BOOM!... yes

Lmao

Don't be a fibber. >:)

There are numerous crossbows that launch bolts faster than 400fps.

numerous crossbows with an fps faster than 400 fps, well lets be honest, it is Sunday...i would be amazed if you could show me more than 2 that top 400 fps. and besides there are now vert bows that are a few fps away from that same speed????and give it a year or 2 and vert bows will be right up with crossbow fps...

you better go back to comparing crossbows with guns, atleast we knew you were just being sarcastic. but with your statement in your above post you just prove your ignorance.......

If it's a bow...mounted on a stock, can you think of what else is mounted on a stock?

A barrel? Maybe a trigger? Scope? Night Optics?

The whole point of the anti xgun debate is that it is not a bow.

And therefore, if not a bow, than what?

Maybe it's a gun?

Or rather, a cross between a bow, and  gun..so why not call it a xgun instead of a xbow.

This battle will be fought with words, so why not start with proper definitions to kick it off in the right direction?

Except it was called a crossbow 2500 years ago - more the 2000 years before the first gun was invented.

numerous crossbows with an fps faster than 400 fps, well lets be honest, it is Sunday...i would be amazed if you could show me more than 2 that top 400 fps. and besides there are now vert bows that are a few fps away from that same speed????and give it a year or 2 and vert bows will be right up with crossbow fps...

you better go back to comparing crossbows with guns, atleast we knew you were just being sarcastic. but with your statement in your above post you just prove your ignorance.......

While we are being honest, let's not forget that these crossbows are firing 420gn bolts over 400 fps.

Your statement that "vert bows will be right up with crossbow fps" is misleading, since it would be IBO speeds, meaning 350 gn arrows.

Still a significant ballistic advantage for crossbows....even if your 400+fps IBO bow is purely hypothetical as we speak.

of course they do make a bow lock..its called a drawlock..also illegal to use unless yer handicrapped..

Hmmm....isn't it funny that the crossbow pushers ignore the draw lock?

A real bow....but locked back.  Yet they still snivel that they need a crossbow, at the same time they claim that crossbows and compounds are "identical".

Too funny.

Drawloc - the impliment which markets itself as a vertical crossbow. ;D

Well you asked for some thing then disputed it as I knew you would...the Yonkers woman...well she and the other errant arrow  report were to show how dangerous they can be....What accusations ?...It is fact that state conservation depts. DO NOT make WRITTEN reports on hunting accidents unless personal or property damage occurs...ergo quote to me "You need to be bleeding or dead  before we investigate" that from a reg 8 officer ::)

Come on grow, that is a completely useless and childish tactic. A couple of years back a guy beat someone to death with a table leg. Anything can be dangerous if used improperly. What does a bow being misused and illegally fired within the city limits of Yonkers have to do with crossbows in the woods during hunting season?

Drawloc - the impliment which markets itself as a vertical crossbow. ;D

But of course reasonable people know it is not.  Reasonable people understand that the bow must still be held like a bow, aimed like a bow, fired like a bow.

Real crossbows are held like a gun, aimed like a gun, and fired like a gun.

It seems pretty obvious that the vast majority of those who complain that they need a string gun because they can't draw or hold the bow back could use a drawlock....but still would prefer the more advantaged crossbow.

There may be cross bows rated for 400fps but most are rated for 300 to 350 fps and that’s under optimum conditions look at are bows mine is rated for 320 IBO it shoots at 293fps. Not many of us have bows that shoot at IBO rated speeds. The only thing I would say is how much speed do you need once you go though the deer any speed left over is of no use to you. The difference between 300 and 400fps at 40 yards is about 3”.

I do believe that xguns in the BOW SEASON will result in more hunter accidents, and because it hasn't happened yet, there is no data to refer to...at least here in NY, where as a NYer, you know there are a different breed of people than anywhere else in this country, except maybe NJ.

Actually there is plenty of data out there to negate your belief, just look at the other states that recently included crossbows. As for your different breed theory, you need to get around a little more, people are pretty much the same wherever you go.

There may be cross bows rated for 400fps but most are rated for 300 to 350 fps and that’s under optimum conditions look at are bows mine is rated for 320 IBO it shoots at 293fps. Not many of us have bows that shoot at IBO rated speeds.

That's my point.  The speeds you see advertised for crossbows are more accurate because they are reporting speeds using hunting weight bolts.  I agree that few bowhunters hunt with IBO arrow weights...we use heavier arrows.

That makes the actual speed gap even bigger between compounds and crossbows....and reveals that crossbows are even more ballistically advantaged.

So im thinkin booger flinger and specker are the same fella..possibly created to agree with himself...too much of a coincidence specker is a vocal newbie..jmo..lol..here it comes gman..G

I looked into that a long time ago. Unless one of them is falsifying their IP address, they are two different people.  :)

Actually there is plenty of data out there to negate your belief, just look at the other states that recently included crossbows. As for your different breed theory, you need to get around a little more, people are pretty much the same wherever you go.

While I do not agree with the idea that crossbows would cause more accidents, I would argue with your contention that there is "plenty of data."

Particularly in states "that recently included crossbows."

There are FAR more bowhunters than crossbow hunters in PA, for example.  You would need to look at an incident/number of bow hunters vs incident/number of crossbow hunters to draw any kind of meaningful conclusion of accident rates.

No one is keeping those statistics.

The idea that a crossbow is inherently more dangerous than a bow should be apparent to everyone, however.  Locked and loaded is always more inherently unsafe than unloaded.

So im thinkin booger flinger and specker are the same fella..possibly created to agree with himself...too much of a coincidence specker is a vocal newbie..jmo..lol..here it comes gman..G

I looked into that a long time ago. Unless one of them is falsifying their IP address, they are two different people.  ;)

Gosh....you mean there might be more than one NY hunter opposed to crossbows? ::)

While I do not agree with the idea that crossbows would cause more accidents, I would argue with your contention that there is "plenty of data."

Particularly in states "that recently included crossbows."

There are FAR more bowhunters than crossbow hunters in PA, for example.  You would need to look at an incident/number of bow hunters vs incident/number of crossbow hunters to draw any kind of meaningful conclusion of accident rates.

No one is keeping those statistics.

The idea that a crossbow is inherently more dangerous than a bow should be apparent to everyone, however.  Locked and loaded is always more inherently unsafe than unloaded.

Any of the hunting accidents that are reported include the implement the accident occurred with. The stats could be generated by anyone with time. If the stats were skewed toward there being more accidents with crossbows, dont you think your beloved NYB and other anti-hunt...I mean anti-crossbow organizations would be throwing them around every chance they got? Come on man, you are smarter than that.