send letters for crossbows in NY

That big deer on L.I. (in NY outdoor news this week) was taken at 50 yards. The guy gut shot the deer and bumped it a few times. No wonder it took him 6 days to find it. Said he could shoot at 50 yards and practices the shot. I don't know, many things can go wrong when you shoot that far. I know guys that do it but...not for me.

That big deer on L.I. (in NY outdoor news this week) was taken at 50 yards. The guy gut shot the deer and bumped it a few times. No wonder it took him 6 days to find it. Said he could shoot at 50 yards and practices the shot. I don't know, many things can go wrong when you shoot that far. I know guys that do it but...not for me.

????????? WTF are you talking about, and what does it have to do with what we are talking about?!

??? ??? ??? WTF are you talking about, and what does it have to do with what we are talking about?!

Relax Junior,

There were a few threads about distance and shooting at game.

Thank you very much for making my point...

You speak of ethical shots and choice of weapon making ethical shots....In reality the only ethical shot is made with in your own mind and the choices you make ...not the weapon you use...If you know that shooting a recurve out to 20 yrds would or could result in a poor hit or un recovered deer....Than you just choose to be ethical and not shoot those yardages...You take the CHALLENGE of hunting and waiting for them to come into an acceptable range...You HUNT.......make ETHICAL decisions in passing good deer...and just enjoy the fact you saw them at all...Ohh perhaps learn to bring them into range

This is the reason many don't want to see X-bows in NY....ppl like you making these claims, and not getting this.... it's not the equipment but the hunter...using that term loosely...... that will gravitate to x bows ..

elitist? please look that word up...For many of you  banter that word around as if it's an insult ...you make me laugh...but moistly feel sad for you...you can't have a difference of opinion with out pulling out all the "high School" OOhhh so Bad insults....lord grow up!

If you want to act like an elitist by thinking that bowhunting somehow trumps all other types of hunting... then don't get upset when someone calls you just that... and for the record I actually agree with your first paragraph although none of it I believe has anything to do with someone wanting to use a crossbow...

What I believe is that certain hunters have been brainwashed to believe that the crossbow is an "evil" weapon. I just don't understand why... I understand the whole idea of wanting to stay with tradition.. thats why I shoot a trad bow and hunt with a primitive muzzleloader.. and will continue to, but I don't see how inclusion of crossbow into either bow or muzzleloader season would disrupt my hunting in the least. If its just about the principal thats fine... but even on principal the crossbow isn't that much superior to be so threatening that it makes grown men refer to it as a crossgun ;)

Skyhunter...you have well thought out ideas, and are right on the money with most of them. The thing I can't figure out is why you don't see why bowhunters don't want "inclusion".

This is a term for those that feel that it is allright, or rather "their" right to force their way into a season with a weapon that would otherwise be "excluded" had it not been for their insistance that it be, regardless of the definition of said weapon.

Plain, and simple...learn how to use the weapon that is legal in the season it is intended for instead of trying to force your way into a season with another weapon that gives you a better opportunity.

I have said this before, if we can't all agree, then let's just have an all out free for all..just call it ""Deer Season", and use whatever you want...that would settle any, and all disputes by way of attrition.

Damn it..I can't believe it..swear to god, there's a show on Showtime right now called "Leaves of Grass", and the main character, Ed Norton just got shot in the back with a crossbow...holy chit, you just can't make this stuff up....wow..

First off, not all bowhunters are against it, just you elitist types.

Second, what does a show on Showtime have to do with anything? Didnt you just give someone crap for mentioning something you thought had nothing to do with the conversation?  :;)

Are you kidding Sits In Trees...your the biggest reason I not only have been E mailing everyone I can with concerns...... but have also contacted several out door clubs...hiking.... camping ....biking..ect You know those Elitist that enjoy frequenting the same public woodlands and trails xcross bow hunters such as your self will be in .....So please go back through and re-read some of your little "words of wisdom"

Then sit back and wonder how many of them will be E mailing their Assembly men and congressmen....lets not forget the Governor .......See they are still enjoying our fine NY colorful fall in Oct through early Nov......Do you think they'll want to share those woods with you? and the ppl you appear to represent? Hhhhmmmm :-\

Are you kidding Sits In Trees...your the biggest reason I not only have been E mailing everyone I can with concerns...... but have also contacted several out door clubs...hiking.... camping ....biking..ect You know those Elitist that enjoy frequenting the same public woodlands and trails xcross bow hunters such as your self will be in .....So please go back through and re-read some of your little "words of wisdom"

Then sit back and wonder how many of them will be E mailing their Assembly men and congressmen....lets not forget the Governor .......See they are still enjoying our fine NY colorful fall in Oct through early Nov......Do you think they'll want to share those woods with you? and the ppl you appear to represent? Hhhhmmmm :-\

Same here. To find such a hornet's nest right here in my own home state has opened my eyes to the clear, and present danger that exists, prompting me to be more active in the pursuit against xgun inclusion.

i know this dude who claims he's a women is some kind of foreigner, i'm assuming some former commie eastern block country by the grammar used in her/his lumped up incoherent ramblings. can someone help me here? northern Uzbekistan perhaps.

give us a hint "babbles a lot", was your main source of transportation in your former land a "YAK", or were you ever married to or have you ever had intimate relations with a farm animal of any sort??

i just love it when some foreingner comes to our country, takes up a sport they more than likely were not ever allowed to do in their country then stand around flappin their gums about what should be legal or not in a country me and my family have lived and hunted in for generations..... come on GROWSALOT, what is it yer a commie of some sort i can smell it on you, lets have it....

Is it the fact that the anti crossbow people don't want every Tom-Dick and Harry in the woods while they are bowhunting.

We all see this during gun season, the guys who makes a lot of noise to and from the stand, no scent control and hunts for an hour and starts to move around. That's just one example of someone that would not fit into the bow season. So are you guys worried about having these people in the same woods as you during a time when stealth mode is key, scent control is a must and all that hard work and practice with the compound goes into my hunt? First off I don't see a big influx of crossbow hunters joining the ranks of bow hunters. Second how about educating the "new crossbow hunter" instead of just throwing up a red flag saying "not in my bow season!" Third maybe some percentage of kids would be interested in shooting a crossbow rather then a compound bow. What a way to get more people to take interest in our great sport. Just my 2 cents, I think this argument is blown way out of proportion and the DEC should let the crossbow into bow season and just end it right there. Bet you the anti's wouldn't miss a beat next bow season and it would all be forgotten about. Oh-until someone shoots a big 180 class buck with a crossbow then it will start all over again. lol

Is it the fact that the anti crossbow people don't want every Tom-Dick and Harry in the woods while they are bowhunting.

No.

Bows are hand drawn and hand held, by definition.

Crossbows do not fit the definition of a bow and should not be allowed into a bow season. 

If you want to create a season for shoulder mounted string guns, mechanically locked into a perpetually loaded position....by all means, do that.

We should not have to change the rules, and the very definitions, because folks too lazy to learn with legal equipment whine and cry.

Its principle.

but have also contacted several out door clubs...hiking.... camping ....biking..ect You know those Elitist that enjoy frequenting the same public woodlands and trails xcross bow hunters such as your self will be in ..
Here we have another exclusionist with that old tired worn out gloom and doom mentality (sounds like a liberal), who believes the "sky has fallen" in states where the crossbow has been legal for decades. Yep, I see your point. Those hikers, campers, bikers, etc got tired of ducking arrows over there, so now they just stay home.

Do you even know how ignorant that is? Hunters who favor exclusion of other hunters? You guys might be right though; they would just shoot up the place. Hasn't that happened in the other states?

You guys are priceless!

Here we have another exclusionist with that old tired worn out gloom and doom mentality (sounds like a liberal), who believes the "sky has fallen" in states where the crossbow has been legal for decades. Yep, I see your point. Those hikers, campers, bikers, etc got tired of ducking arrows over there, so now they just stay home.

Do you even know how ignorant that is? Hunters who favor exclusion of other hunters? You guys might be right though; they would just shoot up the place. Hasn't that happened in the other states?

You guys are priceless!

LOL

If the other states jumped off a bridge, would you jump, too?

Just because it is legal in other states doesn't make it the right thing to do.

Prostitution is legal in NV.....you want to legalize it here?  That seems awfully "liberal." LMFAO

Its principle.

That's funny,

Some here are so anti they admit to starting/participating in a campaign to create fear among the non hunting recreational public with imagined, irrational, non factual tales of a new physical danger to them if crossbows are included in the archery season. They cannot back these tactics with one bit of proof or they and the NYB's would be doing so and shouting it from the rooftops.

Lying and fearmongering are about as low principaled as one get get. Doing so shows their true colors.

We should not have to change the rules, and the very definitions, because folks too lazy to learn with legal equipment whine and cry.

Its principle.

I practice over 200 days a year and am good out to 50 with my compound. Am I the "too lazy to learn / whiner" that you speak of because I would like another choice as I grow old?

A guy that buys a compound and rarely if ever practices (you know the type), but still goes right ahead and picks it up the day of the bow season opener; now he kinda blows a big hole in your "to lazy to learn " "principle", doesn't he?

Its principle.

That's funny,

Some here are so anti they admit to starting/participating in a campaign to create fear among the non hunting recreational public with imagined, irrational, non factual tales of a new physical danger to them if crossbows are included in the archery season. They cannot back these tactics with one bit of proof or they and the NYB's would be doing so and shouting it from the rooftops.

Lying and fearmongering are about as low principled as one get get. Doing so shows their true colors.

They're Cannibals! plain and simple to understand. Sadly, those are their true colors.

A guy that buys a compound and rarely if ever practices (you know the type), but still goes right ahead and picks it up the day of the bow season opener; now he kinda blows a big hole in your "to lazy to learn " "principle", doesn't he?

The "principle" we are discussing is that you must use a bow to bowhunt.  A bow, legally defined as "long,recurve, or compound" by NYS.

You are whining that we should change the rules and definitions to allow crossbows.

That would violate the very principles of bowhunting.

So......I am opposed to crossbows in bow season based upon principle. :D

Bows are hand drawn and hand held, by definition.

Wrong.

bow 3  (bomacr.gif)n.1. A bent, curved, or arched object.2.    A weapon consisting of a curved, flexible strip of material, especially  wood, strung taut from end to end and used to launch arrows.3. a. An archer.b. Archers considered as a group.4. a. Music  A rod having horsehair drawn tightly between its two raised ends, used in playing instruments of the violin and viol families.b. A stroke made by this rod.5. A knot usually having two loops and two ends; a bowknot.6. a. A frame for the lenses of a pair of eyeglasses.b. The part of such a frame passing over the ear.7. A rainbow.8. An oxbow.v.  bowed, bow·ing, bows v.tr.1. To bend (something) into the shape of a bow.2. Music  To play (a stringed instrument) with a bow.v.intr.1. To bend into a curve or bow.2. Music  To play a stringed instrument with a bow.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Bow

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bow

The "principle" we are discussing is that you must use a bow to bowhunt.  A bow, legally defined as "long,recurve, or compound" by NYS.

You are whining that we should change the rules and definitions to allow crossbows.

That would violate the very principles of bowhunting.

So......I am opposed to crossbows in bow season based upon principle. :)

First off your prior "principle" was lazy guys looking for a shortcut. I easily defeated that argument  with the slob compound hunter, so now you change your story and your "principle" to what defines a bow. I guess if your other arguments keep falling flat on their face look for another. Either way still cannibalistic to your fellow hunters.

Your principle of what defines a bow, like you, will also soon go down in flames as the crossbow will be added to the NY definition section of the hunting syllabus under "Definitions" of Bow.  Other states have have successfully updated these definitions in the past, therefore New York and the NYB's will no longer continue to have their own self serving definition of what defines a bow. You will lose on that as well so prepare yourself for the "apocalypse" that has happened elsewhere. 

Funny how you again avoid answering what has happened and how the sky has fallen in other states where crossbow hunting has been going on for years. What's up with that, and why don't you answer and tell us all of the ills that would certainly befall New York should we join the ranks of Ohio.

What say you on that one? Can you say cannibal?

First off your prior "principle" was lazy guys looking for a shortcut. I easily defeated that argument  with the slob compound hunter, so now you change your story and your "principle" to what defines a bow. I guess if your other arguments keep falling flat on their face look for another. Either way still cannibalistic to your fellow hunters.

First off.....that was not my "principle."

Do not dare tell me what my principles are, or assign them to me.  Talk about arrogance!

Your principle of what defines a bow, like you, will also soon go down in flames as the crossbow will be added to the NY definition section of the hunting syllabus under "Definitions" of Bow.  Other states have have successfully updated these definitions in the past. 

Better look again before you just shoot off your mouth.  States like Alabama, even your adored Ohio, still have separate definitions of "bow" and "crossbow."  They allow them to be used during archery season....they do not pretend that a crossbow is actually a bow.  Even a child could tell the difference...LMAO.

Funny how you again avoid answering what has happened and how the sky has fallen in other states where crossbow hunting has been going for years. What's up with that, and why don't you answer and tell us all of the ills that would certainly befall New York should we join the ranks of Ohio.

Because I never said the sky would fall....that is simply you putting words into my mouth again, which is a clear sign of a desparate and losing debater.

I say that crossbows do not belong in bow season.....whether there is a negative repercussion or not.  Just like guns don't belong in bow season, or like centerfires don't belong in MZ season.

They simply do not belong....and no amount of whimpering on your part changes the principle of the matter.  Suck it up and play by the rules...or don't play at all.

First off.....that was not my "principle."

Do not dare tell me what my principles are, or assign them to me.  Talk about arrogance! Hum, that's funny, I quoted this on the last page:

We should not have to change the rules' date=' and the very definitions, because folks [b']too lazy to learn[/b] with legal equipment whine and cry. Its principle.

Your principle of what defines a bow, like you, will also soon go down in flames as the crossbow will be added to the NY definition section of the hunting syllabus under "Definitions" of Bow.  Other states have have successfully updated these definitions in the past. 

Better look again before you just shoot off your mouth.  States like Alabama, even your adored Ohio, still have separate definitions of "bow" and "crossbow."  They allow them to be used during archery season....they do not pretend that a crossbow is actually a bow.  Even a child could tell the difference...LMAO.

Funny how you again avoid answering what has happened and how the sky has fallen in other states where crossbow hunting has been going for years. What's up with that, and why don't you answer and tell us all of the ills that would certainly befall New York should we join the ranks of Ohio.

Because I never said the sky would fall....that is simply you putting words into my mouth again, which is a clear sign of a desparate and losing debater.

I say that crossbows do not belong in bow season.....whether there is a negative repercussion or not.  Just like guns don't belong in bow season, or like centerfires don't belong in MZ season.

They simply do not belong....and no amount of whimpering on your part changes the principle of the matter.  Suck it up and play by the rules...or don't play at all.

"they do not belong" you redundantly say, but you cannot provide a coherent or rational explanation on how that affects you as a bowhunter.

Please explain.