send letters for crossbows in NY

I do like the dec's wording on their website on how in other states people start with a crossbow and many change over to a traditional/compound bow. Seems like that would create a increase in "true"bow hunters. Plus if they change overs it seems they are giving up their so called advantage it there ever was one..

I think you are right G-man. I see a lot of hunters moving to impliments that are more challenging as their hunting matures. If not that many get more selective in the game they take. I have made similiar moves and hung up my shot gun 3 years or so ago for a muzzleloader. I intend on building a flintlock in the future so i can use that. I also want to get back in to a recurve or long bow.

It might make a good entry level weapon for some and be a fall back for others in their later careers

I see this happening also. It's a great way to try something new. The "challenge" is what keeps me going. Keep raising the bar and it will always be fun!

Here you go  arrow, strait from dec 2010 report. notice i didn't give a link but copy and pasted for you

:(                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Authorization for the Use of Crossbows for Hunting

(A.924-E DelMonte; Chapter 483 of the Laws of 2010)

In states that allow the use of crossbows, including Georgia, Michigan and Ohio, crossbows

appear to be an important recruitment and retention tool for hunters. Many people start out

hunting with crossbows and eventually switch to longbows or compound bows. Currently,

crossbows are not permitted in New York. This law will permit, until, December 31, 2012, the

use of crossbows for hunting purposes

Well like i said its the dec report TO the assembly.. and i can't find where they got their info or stats from.. it maybe the dec's opinion.. if it is i would assume by the verbage that they want crossbow in early bow season.. not that i agree with it.. But this is the problem with government agencys there is really no communication between them and the average taxpayer way to much wheeling and dealing behind closed doors imo.

Hey Pat....it's clear you want it made easier and easier for you to kill a deer....crossbows, feeders. no AR.

Why don't we just tie one up for ya every year?

funny sounds all too familiar, oh yea it's the same old argument we hunters always seem to have with anti hunting tree huggers about todays rifles and high powered scopes making killing deer way too easy and how maybe we should just tie the deer to a tree and shoot it???

you see turd flinger, your overbearing babble has made you deaf to your own ears, i feel sorry for you and guy's like you, you are truly "Pitiful"

i feel sorry for you and guy's like you, you are truly "Pitiful"

I feel sorry for those who are too lazy and/or incompetent to follow the rules and enjoy our bowseason as it is.

They are missing out on the best hunting.

But it is their choice to do so.  I do not feel compelled to change the rules just because they choose not to participate in bowhunting.

it maybe the dec's opinion.. if it is i would assume by the verbage that they want crossbow in early bow season.

I believe that the DEC wants to legalize crossbows so they can make money from them.

It pisses me off that they would sell out bowhunters for a few pieces of silver.

But its all about the Benjamins, in the end.

If they were smart, they would give crossbows their own season.  It would maximize revenue, and end the controversy.

So if the DEC becomes so underfunded that it cant operate, where does that leave the bow hunters of NY?

Is it realistic to believe that there will be SO many crossbowers joining the ranks that they would save the DEC deficit?

Puh-leeze.

There was an article the other day saying that the DEC is sitting on $9 million in the Conservation fund.......2 years after they raised our license fees because the fund was "in the red."

There is no immediate dire need that would require crossbows to solve....as if they COULD solve it, in the first place.

So if the DEC becomes so underfunded that it cant operate, where does that leave the bow hunters of NY?

Is it realistic to believe that there will be SO many crossbowers joining the ranks that they would save the DEC deficit?

Puh-leeze.

There was an article the other day saying that the DEC is sitting on $9 million in the Conservation fund.......2 years after they raised our license fees because the fund was "in the red."

There is no immediate dire need that would require crossbows to solve....as if they COULD solve it, in the first place.

I never said that. I asked a completely valid question. So without twisting it, or putting your meaning to it, how about you answer the question posed.

Its a ridiculous hypothetical question.

I am not in the habit of answering ridiculous hypothetical questions....too many variables to begin to imagine.

Besides.....you don't sell your soul to the devil just because you are broke.

We could make up hypothetical scenarios all day long....such as the DEC starts to sell unlimited DMP over the counter to close their deficit.  It is not likely.

It is equally unlikely that the DEC would become so underfunded that it gave up environmental protection or wildlife stewardship.

They just aren't gonna happen.

You don't think the financial situation of the DEC is dire? I think they are severely under staffed. I think the fines should go up by at least a factor of 10and that money should go to fund it.....not welfare payments

I'm reporting the article I read.  period.

And pointing out that if the DEC is in a dire situation.....they aren't going to get enough crossbow hunters to solve the problem.

I certainly don't think that will solve any problems but I do think they will be viewing it as a revenue maker. I read the conservation fund report and I really don't understand their claims that they are falling short on money. from what I saw in the account projections revenues will be up and expenses will be down with a surplus of over 2o million....if you can believe anything printed...lol

Interesting read anyway

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/cfabanreport10.pdf

Its a ridiculous hypothetical question.

I am not in the habit of answering ridiculous hypothetical questions....too many variables to begin to imagine.

Besides.....you don't sell your soul to the devil just because you are broke.

We could make up hypothetical scenarios all day long....such as the DEC starts to sell unlimited DMP over the counter to close their deficit.  It is not likely.

It is equally unlikely that the DEC would become so underfunded that it gave up environmental protection or wildlife stewardship.

They just aren't gonna happen.

LOL, nice side step. I figured you would do that. Typical tactic you love to use.

That would suggest that the DEC is not in a dire financial situation.

If they werent, then why would they be cutting staff left and right, closing offices, not replacing retirees and having ENCON officers who havent seen a pay raise in 7 years, etc etc?

The government as a whole is in financial druthers, and if you cant see that you need to pull your head out of the sand, or whatever other place it is buried.  ;)

Not a side step.

How do you answer a question that has no or low probability of occurring?

How would you answer your own hypothetical question?

You answer the question like any other hypothetical question. Dont try to turn it on me, either answer or dont, I could honestly care less either way.