send letters for crossbows in NY

Nah! ...... Let's just move to another old dead horse. How about we fight over AR some more ...... That's always a good one. I'll bet we can bore each other to death with those good old summer re-runs too.

Doc

to wnybuckhunter - your assumption is correct i would not let them use it on property I own, regardless of lease situation

do you really think anyone cares what kind of little ninny laws you impose on your tiny piece of earth in a state that has 100s of thousands of hunters with millions of acres of hunting land :D  and besides i will be encouraging crossbow use on my land  ;)

WNY---you are never going to be able to reason or discuss with emotional people....Too bad really. I can say with confidence that I am opposed to anyone "imposing" their view on any of us. I would choose not to use one and that is how it should be....MY choice, within the legal limits. I would have no problem with others using a x-bow during regular archery if it were legal...that is THEIR choice. We talk freedom  and then go down this road amongst ourselves...sad

Oh I know, I was just wondering with him. Those that think legalizing crossbows in archery season (where they belong, with archery equipment) would be anyone imposing anything on them is a perfect example of letting emotions blind yourself of the facts. In reality, that person is imposing their emotionally charged opinion on others that would like to have the choice to use a little easier archery equipment.

Its ok, crossbows will end up in archery season soon enough.

again Doc you are so far off base about me it isnt even funny. I am so relaxed, I could care less. I ordered my cross bow and wil be hunting right next to you this season.  In fact I will pobably walk under your stand in my camo and pee just to wind you up.  Oh btw good luck ths fall with your primitive bow

ok wnybuckhunter - explain in excruciating detail how a crossbow is more complex than pulling a trigger ? I'm all for technology - i have piece of technology in my home(which drives my wife nuts) - address the fundamental issues - it fires like a gun - leave it in gun season

i've fired a crossbow - no practice - bullseyes

ok wnybuckhunter - explain in excruciating detail how a crossbow is more complex than pulling a trigger ? I'm all for technology - i have piece of technology in my home(which drives my wife nuts) - address the fundamental issues - it fires like a gun - leave it in gun season

dude u should think before you post, all i'm reading is jiberish here, are you related to Doc??? :) LOL

We (not you and I, but people on this forum in this and a couple other threads) have already discussed many times over why a crossbow is not a gun, besides its completely obvious. All of the major archery sanctioning bodies consider the crossbow as a form of archery equipment. It shoots an arrow and broadhead powered by a string, what else needs to be said?

You are just letting your emotions get the best of you. Its ok, it happens to alot of people.

sanctioning committees don't validate anything...they sanction so they can make sales...it's called marketing....at one time asbestos was legal and sanctioned...it's realy not emotional for me...right now it can only be used in firearm season so i'm happy..i'll be rallying people to campaign against expanding to bow season...writing to assembyman, etc

If you can't see it for what it is, any further discussion is a waste of breath. I rest my case.

Culver, I thought you rested your case and these discussions are a waste of your breath?  Or is that just want you say when you can't back up your accusations and need to bail out?

NO it is what i say when dealing with an emotional person, such as yourself that wants to impose their will on others. There is no reasoning with folks suck as yourself. I was only trying to determine if Solon was the same or if I could actually have a debate with him. You are the one that avoids the direct questions but let me try it again.

How would including crossbows in archery season affect YOU? I will chose to use a compound regardless of wether it is included as a legal implement in archery season. If you make that same choice....great. What do you have to gain by limiting others choices and how would their choice affect you?

How am I emotional? You just don't like that I disagree with you.

I can't debate further with you if you "rest your case" every time you get frustrated.

Bringing the crossgun into archery season will shift a large portion of gun hunters into archery season which will bring the opening day atmosphere and pressure we see with gun season. 

Doubling the pressure during archery season with gun hunters toating crossguns is how the crossgun will effect me during archery season.     

Culver - to answer your question - my passion and reasoning for it "affecting me" is opportunity. I love bow hunting for a multitude of reasons. One of them is opportunity to get in the woods before the deer are running from all the gunshots. I get extra "opprtunities" to get a deer before the gun season. I know crossbows don't sound like a gun, but they give people that use them an "opportunity" like a gun...put that opportunity in the gun season and i'm ok. with crossbows...i just don't beleive the statistical odds of killing a deer with a crossbow and "regular bow" are the same. keep crossbows and guns together in the same season is my point

I don't agree with Chevy's quoting of stastics that can not be justified. I do not believe that the numbers will double, especially in the first years of inclusion. I also believe that many "bow hunters" would make the switch.

I have been looking for data from our neighbor state PA since I believe their first season of crossbow inclusion into regular archery season was in 2009. I wanted to see archery take numbers from 2008 compared to 2009. Just can't seem to put my hands on them.

I guess my view is two fold. In the current political environment I would support any movement that gets more people involved in the sport. I think our best bet for a continued freedom is in numbers. Way too many are giving up the sport.(And that is proven by license sales) I have begun taking 3 nephews out who's fathers don't hunt. The kids are hooked and the fathers don't see the draw. Thankfully my sisters do...even though they do not hunt. They saw the bond it gave me and my father and know it is about more than "taking" a deer.

My other reason for wanting the season is that my father can no longer draw a bow. He also couldn't get the disability requirement. I would love to be able to bow hunt with him again. I was hoping that they were going to go the way of the muzzle loader season in the northeren zone. Open the crossbow at least for the last week or so of archery before gun opened.

I understand the desire to not have patterns disrupted I can't count the number of times I have had opportunities blown by things such as 4 wheelers....folks walking their dogs on a nice fall day. it happens. I guess I am a pretty analitical guy and need to see numbers when and argument is made. If anyone can get a hold of the PA info I'd love to see it.

Nothing personal to Chevy and Solon I just hate seing anyone trying to limit the sport. I really think we need to be finding ways to expand it....all the folks in camo and orange are not the enemy.....the ones with their arms around the trees in the big hugging motion are..

Have a great day.

Culver - to answer your question - my passion and reasoning for it "affecting me" is opportunity. I love bow hunting for a multitude of reasons. One of them is opportunity to get in the woods before the deer are running from all the gunshots. I get extra "opprtunities" to get a deer before the gun season. I know crossbows don't sound like a gun, but they give people that use them an "opportunity" like a gun...put that opportunity in the gun season and i'm ok. with crossbows...i just don't beleive the statistical odds of killing a deer with a crossbow and "regular bow" are the same. keep crossbows and guns together in the same season is my point

i can't wait for full inclusion of crossbows so i can shoot the hell out of "YOUR" deer during bow season :P

sanctioning committees don't validate anything...they sanction so they can make sales...it's called marketing....at one time asbestos was legal and sanctioned...it's realy not emotional for me...right now it can only be used in firearm season so i'm happy..i'll be rallying people to campaign against expanding to bow season...writing to assembyman, etc

The sanctioning bodies have nothing to do with selling anything, they set the rules, etc for archery competitions, records, etc. Maybe you ought to do a little research into the facts before spouting off.

BTW, they havent been legalized for use in any season yet. Again, check your facts.

Good luck with your venture, Im afraid youll end up disappointed in the end though, as its only a matter of time before they are included in archery season.

Bringing the crossgun into archery season will shift a large portion of gun hunters into archery season which will bring the opening day atmosphere and pressure we see with gun season. 

Doubling the pressure during archery season with gun hunters toating crossguns is how the crossgun will effect me during archery season.   

Got anything to back that up? What you profess is exactly what they said in PA, but it didnt happen.

Oh wait, why do I bother asking, of course you dont.  ;D

Got anything to back that up? What you profess is exactly what they said in PA, but it didnt happen.

One thing is certain is that the deer harvest will increase during the archery season and the state stands to gain monetarily from taxes on sales of crossbow equipment. Perhaps they will require that a hunter purchase a special crossbow tag.In the end,the DEC only cares about the number of deer killed during the open season for deer.

For me, it does not matter if crossbows are legalized, I am content to continue bow hunting with a recurve,besides I am too cheap to spend an inordinate sum of money on the equipment.

One thing is certain is that the deer harvest will increase during the archery season and the state stands to gain monetarily from taxes on sales of crossbow equipment. Perhaps they will require that a hunter purchase a special crossbow tag.In the end,the DEC only cares about the number of deer killed during the open season for deer.

For me, it does not matter if crossbows are legalized, I am content to continue bow hunting with a recurve,besides I am too cheap to spend an inordinate sum of money on the equipment.

Yep, I hear ya. I wont be buying a crossbow right away, but one of these days I probably will. Mine will probably be a recurve model with no scope, just open sights or a red dot with no magnification. Im good with my compound and I will add a recurve to my stable before a crossbow.