send letters for crossbows in NY

Bringing the crossgun into archery season will shift a large portion of gun hunters into archery season which will bring the opening day atmosphere and pressure we see with gun season. 

Doubling the pressure during archery season with gun hunters toating crossguns is how the crossgun will effect me during archery season.   

yea and you know what thats gonna bring, used condoms and beer cans in the woods, iffin i shoot one with my crossbow and it runs more than 50 yards ahhh the heck with it, shoot another one. boy you hate crossbow hunters and you hate gun hunters, what the heck kind of royal family of hunting do you come from if i may ask???

Bringing the crossgun into archery season will shift a large portion of gun hunters into archery season which will bring the opening day atmosphere and pressure we see with gun season. 

Doubling the pressure during archery season with gun hunters toating crossguns is how the crossgun will effect me during archery season.   

Got anything to back that up? What you profess is exactly what they said in PA, but it didnt happen.

Oh wait, why do I bother asking, of course you dont.  ;D

One thing is certain is that the deer harvest will increase during the archery season and the state stands to gain monetarily from taxes on sales of crossbow equipment. Perhaps they will require that a hunter purchase a special crossbow tag.In the end,the DEC only cares about the number of deer killed during the open season for deer.

For me, it does not matter if crossbows are legalized, I am content to continue bow hunting with a recurve,besides I am too cheap to spend an inordinate sum of money on the equipment.

Yep, I hear ya. I wont be buying a crossbow right away, but one of these days I probably will. Mine will probably be a recurve model with no scope, just open sights or a red dot with no magnification. Im good with my compound and I will add a recurve to my stable before a crossbow.

I barely have enough time to insure that I am competent and capable when it comes to hunting with a recurve bow. For the foreseeable future, I will stick with the recurve.

to "sit in trees" - nice quote "

i can't wait for full inclusion of crossbows so i can shoot the hell out of "YOUR" deer during bow season"

great answer for an anti-hunter to get a hold of. Do you think anyone would ever put a quote like that in "American hunter" or "any other hunting magazine ?????

i can't wait for full inclusion of crossbows so i can shoot the hell out of "YOUR" deer during bow season"

great answer for an anti-hunter to get a hold of. Do you think anyone would ever put a quote like that in "American hunter" or "any other hunting magazine ??? ??

looks like one sure got a hold of it :P

great answer for an anti-hunter to get a hold of. Do you think anyone would ever put a quote like that in "American hunter" or "any other hunting magazine ??? ??

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.  Mark Twain

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.  Mark Twain

then i guess you just blew it, all in less than 10 posts ;D

This is a copy of a letter I just sent to the"Outdoor News".This pretty much sums up my feeling on crossbows.

To the editor,

I read Mr. Norton's remarks in the 7/9 edition and I'd like to comment on this issue. I'm 68 years old.I lost my right hand and my right foot in an industrial accident in 1972,38 years ago. In 1974 I was bowhunting again,    and have ever since.I pull the bow with my prosthetic hook,and use a release I modified for my application. I pull the full weight of the bow and hold,    and release like every other bowhunter.I kill my share of deer,and I do it honestly.Crossbows do not belong in our bow season.There's no need for practicing and building skills that conventional archery requires,anybody can  shoot a crossbow with an hours worth of practice. The two can't be compared.A crossbow doesn't require the skill set or the dedication that real archery requires.I suggest that instead of all the whining,and "poor    me "crying,perhaps all these " I want to but can't",people should try to find a way to shoot again without the state,having to pass a pity law for them.    Most of the time," can't means won't".Around 1980 or '81,The University of Pennsylvania at Stroudsburg, made a video of handicapped archers.I'm on it,    Little John,(we were taped at his shop in East Syracuse),and 8 0r 9 more people from around the country are on it.Perhaps it won't be such a bad idea    for these crossbow people to see what some people with a little gumption did to be able to hunt again. I'm not special,if I could do it anyone can.When    the day comes I can't pull my bow,I'll quit,and thank God for all the good years I had. Crossbows don't deserve a special season anymore than spears,slingshots,and airguns.Crossbows don't belong in the woods during bow season.

I do not think there would be more than a 10% increase in the numbers of hunters if cross – bow were used in the archery season. I have never shot one I have seen them shot at a 3D shoot. I think they are loud, clumsy and hard to reload and didn’t shoot any better than a bow. They may be of use to someone who can’t draw a bow but maybe not. I am not going to spend the money on one. As for there being no season there will be in 2011. It will not matter if the Gov. Signs the bill or not after so many days it becomes law. I can’t remember how many days I think it is 90 day unless there is a veto it will become law. That’s how some of the southern zone rifle areas were put in place. If you remember he didn’t sign all the rifle bills.

This is a copy of a letter I just sent to the"Outdoor News".This pretty much sums up my feeling on crossbows.

To the editor,

I read Mr. Norton's remarks in the 7/9 edition and I'd like to comment on this issue. I'm 68 years old.I lost my right hand and my right foot in an industrial accident in 1972,38 years ago. In 1974 I was bowhunting again,    and have ever since.I pull the bow with my prosthetic hook,and use a release I modified for my application. I pull the full weight of the bow and hold,    and release like every other bowhunter.I kill my share of deer,and I do it honestly.Crossbows do not belong in our bow season.There's no need for practicing and building skills that conventional archery requires,anybody can  shoot a crossbow with an hours worth of practice. The two can't be compared.A crossbow doesn't require the skill set or the dedication that real archery requires.I suggest that instead of all the whining,and "poor    me "crying,perhaps all these " I want to but can't",people should try to find a way to shoot again without the state,having to pass a pity law for them.    Most of the time," can't means won't".Around 1980 or '81,The University of Pennsylvania at Stroudsburg, made a video of handicapped archers.I'm on it,    Little John,(we were taped at his shop in East Syracuse),and 8 0r 9 more people from around the country are on it.Perhaps it won't be such a bad idea    for these crossbow people to see what some people with a little gumption did to be able to hunt again. I'm not special,if I could do it anyone can.When    the day comes I can't pull my bow,I'll quit,and thank God for all the good years I had. Crossbows don't deserve a special season anymore than spears,slingshots,and airguns.Crossbows don't belong in the woods during bow season.

and a big HOORAHHH for you ;)

I love the comparison of crossbows to slingshots, and spears. Its just plain funny.  :)

While its cool to hear about his determination to continue bowhunting, why try to use it to limit others in what they wish to do as long as the weapon is able to make a clean, ethical kill? Makes you wonder...

i believe there are some states that still have a hatchet hunting season, no bull...i wonder if the NY bowhunters inc would have any problem with adding that to our NY archery season huh??

I doubt it . Hatchets don't have triggers , stocks or bolts .......... ::) ... ::) ... ::)

I think the reason that the crossbow is opposed during the archery only season by many (myself included) is because there is a heritage there to protect, a season that was started with the premise of keeping the hunt primitive and challenging.  I think that todays compounds have crossed that line ten-fold already, and the crossbow would just be the final straw that sends a "primitive" season headed towards a "use anything" hunt.  There were some guys back in the day that worked hard to get this primitive season when they were told that it would fail, and I'd like to see what is left of "primitive" preserved for future generations.

Nobody likes NY Bowhunters, only for the reason that they have the cajones to take a stand for something they believe in and are willing to stick their necks out for it, and probably at the expense of increasing membership.  Anyone who takes a stand is a target for those who feel opposed to their cause. 

The crossbow is being pushed here in NY by the crossbow manufacturers, they are putting money in politicians pockets as well as a few others, all at the expense of OUR wildlife and our seasons and our heritage.  And then they brainwash us with "we hunters should all stick together"....meaning......follow like sheep.  Even the NRA has joined the crossbow push, money talks.  Sad reality of the times.

To be read together, "our wildlife, seasons, and heritage".  We pay for conservation here in this state, let's not let private companies (manufacturers) decide our fate.  It is ours to decide, not their money in the pockets of crooked politicians and outdoor sport writers.

To be read together, "our wildlife, seasons, and heritage".  We pay for conservation here in this state, let's not let private companies (manufacturers) decide our fate.  It is ours to decide, not their money in the pockets of crooked politicians and outdoor sport writers.

And who pushed for the compounds to be included?

You don't think the manufacturers had anything to do with it?

I find a less then 40 year history (compounds) to be anything like the 10,000 years of longbow/recurve or even the 2400 years of crossbows.

I would like to see a truly neutral comprehensive poll of both bow and all hunters in the state.

Last year there was a petition available for less then 3 weeks at a local bowshop supporting crossbow inclusion in the bow season for handicapped and anyone over 50. 97 signatures out of 115 asked to sign.