Alot of fellow hunters pissin me off AGAIN!

sits in trees

You noticed that too? I saw his show the other day and had to pause it when I saw him at full draw.

saw that too... funny part is guys become so custom to shooting incorrectly that it just feels right to them. Its like buying a used bow thats too big and shooting it for years then buying a new one and getting setup the correct way, it may feel out of the norm for some who have trained themselves to shoot one way.

Sits, with all due respect. Weren't you just saying how bow tuning is over complicated? Now you sound like it should be meticulous. Which is it?

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:14 AM

i dont know, i have to say this whole bow tuning thing has been made to be way over complicated. i have owned atleast 20 some bows since the early 90s and have set up dozens of newbies bows, just did my son in laws last weekend.

i have a few basic tools from around the house, and can have a bow setup in an hour. guys get way too into it with paper tuning, trying all kinds of gizmos that do absolutely nothing for you and worst spending all kinds of time adjusting this timing that. i say get your bow and square it up and spend that time shooting/developing your form instead.

i paper tuned a bow once about 20 years ago and by the time i was done the damn was so out of kilter it was useless, havnt paper tuned one since and i can hit a pie plate at 50 yards with just about anyones bow that is the right draw lenght.

" I missed 4 deer clean with my bow last yr... ive been shooting 5-6 arrows everyday since April.. a wounded deer is unacceptable"

I haven't missed 4 deer my whole life and I've been hunting for 39 years !

If friends are shooting and I can make it, I'll shoot a little more, but it is usally once or twice in the back yard. If the arrow go's where I'm aiming it from 4 or 5 different spots I'm good to go

Edited by jhog1

I haven't missed 4 deer my whole life and I've been hunting for 39 years !

If friends are shooting and I can make it, I'll shoot a little more, but it is usally once or twice in the back yard. If the arrow go's where I'm aiming it from 4 or 5 different spots I'm good to go

Mine is bigger than yours.

Popcorn, indeed.

Edited by phade

You noticed that too? I saw his show the other day and had to pause it when I saw him at full draw.

He's always been like that. I once read his explaination and was pretty much his shooting style and also the benefit of some added speed/KE/etc.

Whatever...as long as he shoots decent. He's certainly not the best shooter on film, but not the bottom of the barrel either. Problem is, watching him is like taking ten Lunesta pills at once.

I know some people that seem to be just natural shooters,and can pick up their bows for the first time at a point just days before the season and be right back in the groove almost instantly. As for myself, I have to work at it, so my practice has to be almost constant year around. Bowhunting can be a demanding activity. I have developed so many target panic maladies that it sometimes gets almost comical. But I don't worry too much about what other people are doing. I have a big enough job keeping my own shooting under control. I can remember a couple of seasons that had to be started late because a sudden case of violent flinches reared its ugly head. I won't go out until I feel my shooting is under control. Others do what they think they have to, and it's not my concern.

Equipment changes .... I agree, if equipment has been stored properly I can see no reason for anything to move that didn't move the previous season. However, equipment failures can happen at any time regardless of practice frequency. I had a string blow up a couple of weeks back. It turned out to be an aluminum "D"-loop that let go and turned into a dry-fire that had the upper limb whipping past my head. Now there is something that happened even after frequent practice sessions over many months. Practice didn't help me much there.

So the message is that I try to apply the practice that I need to assist my consistancy. Others may or may not need that level of practice. I refuse to police the rest of the world, or work myself into some kind of rage over their level of practice. That's not my job ..... lol.

And can someone explain to me how a so called bowhunter can grab a bow without even checking for string stretch after a year and just shoot it without checking for square or to even see if all those little screws are tight?

][/b]i have a few basic tools from around the house, and can have a bow setup in an hour. guys get way too into it with paper tuning, trying all kinds of gizmos that do absolutely nothing for you and worst spending all kinds of time adjusting this timing that. i say get your bow and square it up and spend that time shooting/developing your form instead.

I think he's saying about the same thing ..other than the paper tuning...you need to check the bow for tightness and string stretch... and practice...On my old bow that was a big thing...always have a set of Allen wrenches on me to tighten stuff up..and after a lot of shooting..and I would think storing with out letting the limbs down a bit would cause string stretching

I didnt practice at all this spring/summer, just didnt have the time or even a decent place to do so, I know my bow is in top form as it was when I packed it away last fall, but dont be afraid, IF I even buy a license this year, I'll probably just watch the deer run around the woods.................losing interest sucks

Sits, with all due respect. Weren't you just saying how bow tuning is over complicated? Now you sound like it should be meticulous. Which is it?

Posted 01 October 2011 - 04:14 AM

i dont know, i have to say this whole bow tuning thing has been made to be way over complicated. i have owned atleast 20 some bows since the early 90s and have set up dozens of newbies bows, just did my son in laws last weekend.

i have a few basic tools from around the house, and can have a bow setup in an hour. guys get way too into it with paper tuning, trying all kinds of gizmos that do absolutely nothing for you and worst spending all kinds of time adjusting this timing that. i say get your bow and square it up and spend that time shooting/developing your form instead.

i paper tuned a bow once about 20 years ago and by the time i was done the damn was so out of kilter it was useless, havnt paper tuned one since and i can hit a pie plate at 50 yards with just about anyones bow that is the right draw lenght.

My point exactly, its not that complicated to set up a bow and can be done with some simple house hold tools, The way i do it every year. Not sure what your attempting to prove but i can set up the average bow in an hour, been doing it for years.

but when it comes to shooting and practice there really arent any shortcuts for that. If you have some please fill us all in?

Edited by sits in trees

Took my bow out of the case when I got home from work, fired off 15 minutes worth of arrows at 20 yards she's right in.... Posted a pic in the bow section under post your groups. I usually pull the bow out and have no issues. even guys who practice all day everyday make mistakes, most common is quartering away shots. Guys get used to aiming at the bullseye on a 3d target all summer and then go to shoot a deer quartering away and hit to far forward. Not saying everyone so let's not jump the gun lol. But it happens

A lot of that and a lot worse going on. I know of a guy that went to buy a new bow and he held it right handed, then left handed, salesman said what are you doing, guy responds I shoot both ways. Salesman put the bow back in the rack and said buh-bye. I quit bowhunting for exactly the reason you state, I didn't have enough time to practice anymore and wouldn't risk a bad shot. So I sold all my gear.

Right on man I did the same I enjoyed my bow. I bought it, used it for practice and never started hunting with it until 4 years later when I got into hunting I did the same didnt have time to practice or I would take a few shots here and there hit kill shots everytime on the 3D deer then go out and hunt.Ive only got one kill with the bow and Im not proud of how. picked up the bow pulled back on a buck and released and pulled the shot high and to the right slitting his throat. took me 3 hours of crawling through the thicket to only find him 50 yards away with no energy to move and still breathing. put another arrow into his heart to end the suffering.. after that I swore that I would not do that again. so I sold all my bow equipment and stuck with my shotgun. Since crossbow was leagalized I picked one of those up this year will be the first season for me to use it I have been practicing with the crossbow. although not as much time is needed compared to the bow.. Eventually I would like to get another bow, BUT I want to be in a better situation where I can take the time to REALLY practice and make ethical kills and not have my nerves screw up the shot. Sorry if this pisses anyone off, but at least I can admit my faults and learn from them

i picked my bow up for the first time 2 weeks ago and shot from random distances out to beyond 40 yards and EVERY shot was spot on, same as last year. luckily i didnt need to tinker with it, or change anything everything is tight i checked it all before hand. im very confident in my shooting abilities and can easily deter myself from taking a risky shot because i dont ever want to wound a deer or waste a $20 dollar arrow. i enjoy the whole aspect of hunting so because i may pass on a shot that i feel would be risky just means i get to spend another day in the woods... OWW stop twisting my arm it hurts!! i think having confidence is key, and if i dont feel confident ill keep practicing until i do. i think thats where a lot of people fall short, is having confidence in themselves.

now just because my bows dialed in the first time i picked it up doesnt mean i wont shoot again until im in the stand. ill shoot many groups a day at random distances, and they are all elevated shots. dont get me wrong i would like to shoot more often, but this summer especially i have been way to busy. normally ill pick up my bow a few times a month and shoot a few groups just to keep that feel/touch alive. i feel like if i do something too much i develop bad habits, if i do it enough to stay fresh and dont over do it everything works out for the better. its like my golf game, i can play a solid 9 holes and anything more i just fall apart.

I have seen people who could shoot quarter size groups and bitch all day about messing up their arrows, who when it came to shooting deer just lose it. If you aren't prepared mentally and physically for the shot you arent going to make a clean kill no matter how much you practice. I know someone ,who I will not mention, that shoots just fine and pulls 50 lbs. Put a deer in front of him and he can barely pull it back, its the funniest thing you have ever seen!!! Bowhunting is alot more difficult than alot of people who dont bowhunt think. I always like the comments non bowhunters make about how bowhunters kill all the deer before they get a chance at them in gun season. I wish it was that easy.

• Like 1

I have seen people who could shoot quarter size groups and bitch all day about messing up their arrows, who when it came to shooting deer just lose it. If you aren't prepared mentally and physically for the shot you arent going to make a clean kill no matter how much you practice. I know someone ,who I will not mention, that shoots just fine and pulls 50 lbs. Put a deer in front of him and he can barely pull it back, its the funniest thing you have ever seen!!! Bowhunting is alot more difficult than alot of people who dont bowhunt think. I always like the comments non bowhunters make about how bowhunters kill all the deer before they get a chance at them in gun season. I wish it was that easy.

I used to work with a guy that could hold "coffee cup" sized groups at 50 yards without a single flyer .... ever. I had seen him do it. When he came in to work with his 5th wounded, unrecovered deer story in one season, I finally had to stop talking deer hunting with him. I have no idea what his problem was, but when it came to deer, he was always just good enough to stick them somewhere but never in a kill area. I don't know whether it was the pressure of shooting at a deer or what, but the guy was just an absolute menace in the woods.

yeah i knew a guy like that, he would hit paper or a 3d perfect... put a deer in front of him, he would hit the deer just never knew where and would find 1 out of 7 deer he shot... The thing that killed me and lead me to not hunt with my dad while he hunted with this guy was after he shot one, he would spend a whole 7 minutes looking for the deer and say ehhh he will live... would drive me nuts, to the point im yelling at my dad asking why he hunts with a guy like that.

That I don't under stand,,,sounds like my neighbor...God knows it happens...happened to me...Lost ...Well biggest buck I've ever seen with a 17-20 yd shot....I'd practiced all summer with a new Sights....absolutely stoked about my shooting...Then he came in and I lined up the sight pins...and have no clue where It hit him...that cost me two days searching with deer search....it's donations and I willingly gave 100.00 even though never recovered..by us....and I bought a new bow and will never use sights again....Still turns my stomach to think about it...