2012 Bow Hunting Harvest Thread

burmjohn

Red that is exaclty why I process all my own deer. I know exactly what I am eating then. Good luck on the big buck.

Exactly the reason why I started butchering deer myself. I had taken a good size doe into the butcher and came out with about 25lbs of meat. I asked where the other bag was and check and see if it was the wrong deer.

I have been butchering them myself ever since. Its not as hard as you think.

You can do the cuts to your liking, no hair or bits of bone.

I bone mine out in the garage. If its real warmout, I skin, quarter it up and into the extra fridge for a few days.

That is why you gotta process yourself, don't waste a scrap....plus you know its actually your meat...I also use butchering time as a buffer of a couple days off from hunting after a successful hunt...good for me and my wife.

i use to go to this place and thats exactly what happened before i shot i nice buck and didnt get much meat back so i stopped going there for a few years and have been doing my own but last week i had a 17 hr work day on tuesday then a 10hr shift on wed and thursday i was afraid with the warm weather that the deer would spoil my wife has a friend that has 6 kids her and her family could really use the meat i think theyll be pretty excited when we drop it off to them tomorrow then ill have towork on a deer for myself. i kid you not the back strap that i got back was no longer then 4 inches and very thin ill be doing the next deer myself for sure.

DSCN0367_zpsb0dc4ab7.jpg

7J, First Ever Bow Kill, wife was late getting back to watch the kids so thought I was screwed, decided to go to a spot closer to home for the last hour of daylight. Was there about 10 mins when this doe started milling around, I waited about another 5 for her to present a broadside shot somewhere within 40yds. Arrow hit a twig on the way to her and she shrank down and back, so it took her in the throat instead of the heart, but result was the same. She expired within 50yards. First time using Easton Tracers, pretty sweet seeing that arrow pass through her.

• Like 2

this isnt my buck but i have to share with everyone, this is my cousins buck, his first year hunting anything and we both got into bow shootin a lot at end of last year, i hunted last year but he didn't, so this is his first bow buck and first deer ever.

this thing is an absolute monster, biggest deer we have seen by far around our area and even my brothers and cousins who have been hunting for 20 years have not seen one on the ground this big. 12pt 203lbs hanging, had to be near 240 or so dressed. he has only been out in the afternoons and this was his 4th time sitting for a couple of hours, said he slept for almost an hour n woke up 15 minutes prior to this guy being 20 yards from his stand.

worst part about it is i now have pix of him on my trail cam that was about 100 yards away right near my stand 10 minutes before he sho him, i cant hunt afternoons durin the week cuz i have my kids as my fiance works late durin the week. im happy as heck for him to get this but wished it coulda been mine and woulda if i was sittin there.

deerpix032.jpg

deerpix033.jpg

deerpix031.jpg

deerpix030.jpg

• Like 3

That is a great buck!

I don't want to take away from such a great accomplishment, but I'd have to see 203 pounds on the scale to believe it, especially since it was 240 on the hoof. That'd be a big deer. I'd just love to see a deer that big sometime.

In any case, that is a heck of a deer, let alone a fist. Congrats all the way around!

Edited by phade

thanks guys i hope to see one even close to him. and id believe it all day long i was shocked when he told me it was only 203lb hanging cuz id have thought it was a lot bigger. id put money on 240-250lb dressed walkin. either way its a monster and biggest deer he may ever get in his life let alone first year out.

thanks guys i hope to see one even close to him. and id believe it all day long i was shocked when he told me it was only 203lb hanging cuz id have thought it was a lot bigger. id put money on 240-250lb dressed walkin. either way its a monster and biggest deer he may ever get in his life let alone first year out.

For sure, that is a great first buck. Sometimes its a blessing and a curse. I shot a decent buck as my first deer at 17...was a few years before I was able to top it. Hopefully he has plenty to come that do!

yeah im sure he'll get others but in all honesty around us to top that would be a huge deer, maybe not rack wise but body wise it was just unreal but early season hasnt started chasing does and losing that body fat yet so im sure that helped a lot. my cousin is a 6 footer and he looks like a kid next to it. we put it in the back of his full size dodge ram and had to fold him up a bit to be able to close the tailgate lol. hopefully this means more bucks will start to move at all hours cuz noone around has ever seen this buck on cams or anything so to find him cruising at 430 in the afternoon is pretty shocking.

I'm gonna say the first shot entered in the middle hole....then the other two holes (top and bottom) were the entry and exit of the followup kill shot to make sure. I know I would put a bunch of arrows in that thing until I was sure it wasn't moving!!

• Like 1

For sure, that is a great first buck. Sometimes its a blessing and a curse. I shot a decent buck as my first deer at 17...was a few years before I was able to top it. Hopefully he has plenty to come that do!

First deer I ever got was a doe with the bow. The next day i got an eleven point with the shotgun, that was 29 years ago and still haven't top it.

Congrats on that one!! Beautiful Buck!