2012 Bow Hunting Harvest Thread

burmjohn

NYANTLER- I get 154 gross. Let me know how close I am. AMAZING mass. I love a big 8 more than any other antler configuration.

I hope to get more info tonight... but yes.. that is a bruiser of an 8-point.. i like the big 8's too.. the only thing I like better is a 6 that scores better than 100

i am just wondering something? if we start hunting these bucks before they start the rut what happens to next year ? no fawns ? no good stock from some of these nice bucks i am seeing. will this opening bow season sooner affect the herds ? no fawns ? (well not no fawns ) but fewer ? just wondering what the affects could be .

Good question but i believe iowa, illionis and you can go on. There season start oct. 1st but we don't have as many big bucks as they do but also remember there season goes longer then ours. They harvest big buck but a longer period. I don't believe it will affect us here. Those states are years ahead of us on deer quality management.

Edited by moose
  • Like 1

Big 8-point taken in Madison County yesterday...

NOW THATS A BIG 8!!!! Nice buck guys , makin me crazy for Saturday when I can get out! Gonna sit from 11 till dark, only I hope to see one at least half as big ;). Def dip into the credit card to shoulder mount that bad boy, great mass throughout !!!!

i am just wondering something? if we start hunting these bucks before they start the rut what happens to next year ? no fawns ? no good stock from some of these nice bucks i am seeing. will this opening bow season sooner affect the herds ? no fawns ? (well not no fawns ) but fewer ? just wondering what the affects could be .

It'll have no effect on fawn recruitment!!! Obviously, the dead bucks in all of the harvest photos won't be doing any breeding in a few weeks but there will be plenty of bucks left to get the job done.

• Like 1

A little success today and a lot of excitement. Great day hunting!! I got a nice pheasant this morning and a nice big doe tonight. Lots of activity in the woods. I saw bunch of squirels, a fox, and 2 flocks of turkey . Look at the neck picture. There is a recently scabbed broad head wound. Pretty neat someones elses bad luck became my good luck!

post-2485-0-35973400-1350010995_thumb.jp

post-2485-0-82571700-1350011022_thumb.jp

post-2485-0-27229000-1350011039_thumb.jp

Edited by Guns&ReligionCop
  • Like 1

Good question but i believe iowa, illionis and you can go on. There season start oct. 1st but we don't have as many big bucks as they do but also remember there season goes longer then ours. They harvest big buck but a longer period. I don't believe it will affect us here. Those states are years ahead of us on deer quality management.

You also have to remember.. They have no gun hunting when the rut is on. I believe they also only get one buck per season. There is a huge difference in those states and Ny!

Hate when you double reply. Man talk about off the mark neck to the boiler room is a ways away. Could you tell which way the cut was on the neck?

I shot a 6 pointer two years ago and it had two marks going across his back one above the boiler room and the other was across his but. These deer definitely get shot at. No wonder they go nocturnal. Lol

The neck wound was was a three blade that punch just through the bottom of the hide on the left and knicked a little bit of the neck meat. Was already scabbed and healing and that most certainly is a pitbull( North american staffordshire terrier) I'm pretty sure I haven't take a picture of a deer in the last 9 years that he wasn't peeking in from the back.

A guy i used to work for had seen a deer during bow and was also informed by the shooter that a buck had been shot with an aluminum arrow in the neck, had to be very special circumstances for this to happen. But the arrow stayed lodged in the neck, after it deflected off a tree. the buck made it through the rest of bow and the first week of gun season until my boss shot it. But it was crazy to see the pics and how it healed around the broken arrow.

He said the deer had limited mobility but appeared perfectly healthy otherwise.