2012 Bow Hunting Harvest Thread

burmjohn

Hey Everyone,

Congrats on all the nice deer....!!!

I have a story of my own. My brother and I went down Friday night. Saturday was terrible, we didn't see anything. Early Sunday morning my Dad joined us. By 8:30 Brother hit a nice doe. We decided to track it after 3 hrs, lots of blood up to 150 yrds and then is shut-off, we continued to search all morning to no avail. However, while tracking and splitting up, I noticed a large Porcupine on the edge of a path, I shot and harvested the porcupine, it was about a 27 yard shot. When I walked back to my brother, he said " nice to see you are really concentrating on finding my doe", I sort of felt bad, but there is only so much searching you can do before you go insane. We headed in for lunch. After lunch my Brother said, I'm going back to look for her again, I'm like, Chris you're out of your mind. He's like I have to, so he did. I said, well then I'm going to hunt your stand and shoot a buck, he said, "good, go for it." I went into his stand about 3. At 4:10 I had a nice doe step into view, she was 37 yards, I was hesitant because of the distance but she was broadside, I let my arrow fly. I heard a crash about 8 seconds after, I ended up going back to camp and telling my Brother what happened. We decided to go out at 9pm. We weren't on the trail 3 seconds and she was piled up, the crash I heard was her, blew it through both lungs. I will be honest it was more of a luck shot, I didn't know I hit her until I found my arrow in blood from broadhead to nock.

Next morning, I decide to hunt my Dad's stand, he went home to paint a car. We got a late start, we didn't get into the stand until about 6:20. I was just putting my hands in my muff when I heard something walking, I thought it was my Brother and maybe he'd forgot something. As I nonchalantley turned I noticed a buck quickly walking at 50 yards, nose to ground. Before I knew it, he had closed to about 30 yards, I was at full draw when I whistled but he ended up picking up speed and I let my arrow fly at about 22 yards but a full trot. He went 20 yards and stopped, looked back towards me and literally tipped over. My Brother text me and said, "did you just shoot", he heard the shot, I said yes. He said, "did you hit him", I said not only did I hit him, he tipped over in front of me and is dead. This was so fast and surreal I wouldn't believe if someone had told me. He didn't last longer then 7 seconds. When I went to gut him, I literally cut his heart in half, clean pass through. The past 2 days were just amazing. I got a porcupine, which by the way is in my freezer, I might get it mounted, a nice doe and a small 5 point with an absolute brute of a body. He had a hole in his eye and an antler piercing right under his eye. He must have met another buck earlier in the week or that night. Since we are going back down Friday, Sat, and Sunday, hopefully my Brother will meet him!!!

post-2706-0-81520000-1352238893.png

post-2706-0-94211000-1352239184.png

post-2706-0-09022000-1352239239.png

post-2706-0-15947200-1352239761.png

post-2706-0-76902600-1352239882.png

Edited by Taylormike

post-1632-0-29825400-1352247495_thumb.jp

Got this Four pointer last weekend of October on a Saturday. Came in around 8:00am, and pulled back the bow. Released and the arrow went and got him at 30yards, where he would eventual fall 10 yards from where i shot him. And he is my first deer ever with a bow!!

P.S I wasn't warn when the photo was being taken!

Edited by dirt_a_KISS

post-1632-0-29825400-1352247495_thumb.jp

Got this Four pointer last weekend of October on a Saturday. Came in around 8:00am, and pulled back the bow. Released and the arrow went and got him at 30yards, where he would eventual fall 10 yards from where i shot him. And he is my first deer ever with a bow!!

P.S I wasn't warn when the photo was being taken!

Good job

Mature drop tine 9pt, From State Forest Land Chautauqua County.

11/6/12 ..8am.. Caught him checking his scrape I've been watching.

I was ground hunting an old pine forest edge and got him at 18yds.

I like hunting those old pines, with all the dead trees,limbs etc, nothing can sneak thru without snapping twigs. Gives me time to spot 'em and have the advantage.

post-622-0-20733100-1352266737_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-02275100-1352266787_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-75621400-1352266820_thumb.jpg

I shot this buck monday night. He was slipping past me through a swamp when I saw him. I grunted which he ignored so then I grabbed my bleat can and turned it three times. After that he came in on a string. I shot him at 30 yards and hit him a little back but he didn't go too far but I decided to wait a few hours to go get him. When my friends and I started pulling him out after we went back in and found him where I had last seen him we noticed his tail and bung had already been eaten by the coyote's. I rough scored him at 125 yesterday. he weighed 170 and has an inside spread of 17 1/2.

post-1529-0-65232600-1352285790_thumb.jp