Hunting Cabin Ideas

fernnj

I'm looking to build a 1200-1500 ft2 cabin in the near future. It would also be used as a family getaway. I would need a 2 BR open floor plan with second floor loft. I would prefer to at least do the finish work myself. Time restraints may keep me from building the actual structure myself. I have obtained some quotes for a modular "shell only" (around 90k set w/o foundation), SIPS insulated panel system building (68k w/o foundation), and regular stick built cabin. I'm not really intersted in a log cabin. As of now, the best quote by far was from 84 lumber. All materials for a 1,245 ft2 cabin with plans came in at just over $36k. This includes everything down to the nails. Other quotes were double and some nearly triple that price. Can anyone suggest any other options? Anyone recently build a cabin? Any suggestions?

I'm no expert but that price seems high, shop around especially the manufactureres in Pa.. I was looking into a 3BR ranch with two baths and place it on a full base with garage underneath. If the property can accomodate it you can get a den with walkout sliders under it also put your mechanicals in there. To me that should be around sixty plus well, septic and electric. Good luck.

you can get a garage kit, 20x28 or 24x24 reasonable, modify it any way you want. why a loft? my friend insisted he needed one untill he built it and realised in the summer sun there would be no way to sleep up there at all way to hot. uses it strictly for storage now... I'd look into modular homes as well. you can modify floor plan quite a bit. all you need then is foundation to set it on.

Why so big for a hunting cabin?.. you can achieve the same thing with a smaller building.. unless you're thinking of having 20 hunters in the cabin... basically you need a kitchen, bathroom and living/ sleeping area... you can do that with less than 1000 sq ft. if you plan it out. Especially if you incorporate a bunk room in the loft area. A 20 by 24 cabin with a loft bunks can sleep as many as 8 in the loft area.

I just made it easy and got a camper that hooks up to a truck. has living space bathroom with shower running water electric and full functining kitchen I think we paid about $8k I put it on our 20 acre hunting property in 3J. We took out the queen size bed and build 2 bunk beds for 4 and the pull out counch sleeps 1 and the kitchen table folds down and turns into a small couch also sleeps 1.

Geno what area in upstate are you. I had a contractor build a 24 x 26 garage shell with a loft for 19k. Did all the finish work inside myself. Now i am in the process of building a home thats a little bigger than that garage and i am figuring on spending around 25k to 30k on shell only. Keep in mind these prices do not include foundations.

Geno what area in upstate are you. I had a contractor build a 24 x 26 garage shell with a loft for 19k. Did all the finish work inside myself. Now i am in the process of building a home thats a little bigger than that garage and i am figuring on spending around 25k to 30k on shell only. Keep in mind these prices do not include foundations.

my property is in Otsego, right in pittsfield. i have heard of some members paying as low as 6k for a 16x16shell with a tin roof, unfinished inside of coarse and it was built by the Amish. and you can build those cabins on a gravel base...

howmuch are you figuring the foundation on that house to be?

Wow Gino your right around the corner from me. I am in Edmeston. I dont know if I would trust those Amish built homes. Contractor I used was licensed and build everything to code. I have gotten quotes on the foundation at around $90 to $120 a linear foot for a full basement. Compared to LI prices thats cheap.

Wow Gino your right around the corner from me. I am in Edmeston. I dont know if I would trust those Amish built homes. Contractor I used was licensed and build everything to code. I have gotten quotes on the foundation at around $90 to $120 a linear foot for a full basement. Compared to LI prices thats cheap.

yeah that does seem cheap... haha your right around the corner from me. My buddy Jake Hiltz is in edmeston. Not sure about the homes but for a Amish built cabin i heard it comes out great! and they look beautiful.

I would send you a pic but not sure how to upload picture.

if you have pics on your comp when you go to post hit the more reply options and you can attach an image. when you hit shoose file you will search the location or folder it is in. its very simple..

(see previous post also)

Such a small world. I have heard of Jake Hilts. He is a logger or contractor up on Axtel if I remember correctly. You should ask him he should be able to hook you up with a good price.

yes he is... he did some logging for me this year. nice guy

and the garage looks amazing!!

I was getting prices for concrete @ $80 per Yard just for the truck to deliver/pour it.

If you take into consideration a home that would have a 28x40 foundation with 8 ft walls and footings you would need over 30 yards of cement at $80 yard your looking at $2400 in cement alone. That doesnt include excavation costs or cost of forms and rebar.